XDs and Saturday @ BPR

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: XDs and Saturday @ BPR

Postby grousemaster on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 am

XDM45 wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:Yeah, I'm amazed every time I shoot mine. I was at a friend's house a couple weeks ago shooting various guns and decided to shoot my XD-S at a pop can everyone was missing or just putting holes through. I started making it dance pretty good... I figure if I can consistently hit a can at 20 yards I should be good at center of mass in defensive ranges, without stress and something shooting back at me. :?

That said, for anyone who doesn't shoot the XD-S well, definitely try the other grip piece it comes with - makes a world of difference.

Overall, it's a decent gun, one I need more practice with, but I don't see it as a regular range gun, just one to get proficient with for self-defense. It's comfortable to shoot, but not as much as my XDm is. I'm glad I bought it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for my only gun.

Stick with it. I've had guns that took me months or longer to get good with.....it will grow on you. Not a combat pistol, but a heck of a pocket/deep concealment option.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby XDM45 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 am

grousemaster wrote:
XDM45 wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:Yeah, I'm amazed every time I shoot mine. I was at a friend's house a couple weeks ago shooting various guns and decided to shoot my XD-S at a pop can everyone was missing or just putting holes through. I started making it dance pretty good... I figure if I can consistently hit a can at 20 yards I should be good at center of mass in defensive ranges, without stress and something shooting back at me. :?

That said, for anyone who doesn't shoot the XD-S well, definitely try the other grip piece it comes with - makes a world of difference.

Overall, it's a decent gun, one I need more practice with, but I don't see it as a regular range gun, just one to get proficient with for self-defense. It's comfortable to shoot, but not as much as my XDm is. I'm glad I bought it, but it wouldn't be my first choice for my only gun.

Stick with it. I've had guns that took me months or longer to get good with.....it will grow on you. Not a combat pistol, but a heck of a pocket/deep concealment option.

Exactly why I bought it. My XDm is choice 1, but yeah, since the XDs is a carry gun, I need to be just as proficient with it, true that.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby darkwolf45 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:42 pm

Evad wrote:Both you, and XDM45 have failed to mention that Caspian is magical. You touched on it, but weren't clear enough. First trigger pull, off hand and there was a hole in the paper exactly where I intended it. That thing is a joy to shoot. The wheelie is also, and it's REALLY good that is SA only with how easy that trigger is. Another magical gun that placed holes where I wanted them immediately.

Thank you. I love that gun, but I also dont want to be a braggart. I've shot one 1911 that I liked more, but it was not as accurate as the caspian.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby XDM45 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:14 pm

darkwolf45 wrote:
Evad wrote:Both you, and XDM45 have failed to mention that Caspian is magical. You touched on it, but weren't clear enough. First trigger pull, off hand and there was a hole in the paper exactly where I intended it. That thing is a joy to shoot. The wheelie is also, and it's REALLY good that is SA only with how easy that trigger is. Another magical gun that placed holes where I wanted them immediately.

Thank you. I love that gun, but I also dont want to be a braggart. I've shot one 1911 that I liked more, but it was not as accurate as the caspian.

Oh I feel ashamed now.

Yes, that is one of the best guns I've ever fired, then again it is all 100% custom made, right? I doubt you'd ever want to sell it, but if you do, I call dibs :)
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Evad on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:28 pm

darkwolf45 wrote:Thank you. I love that gun, but I also dont want to be a braggart. I've shot one 1911 that I liked more, but it was not as accurate as the caspian.

In my opinion, that gun should be bragged about. The bad thing, it made me think I need changes to my 1911. I am resisting the urge :lol:
Evad

Postby darkwolf45 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:21 am

The Caspian has had others my dad knew making offers on it to my sister for a couple years now. Dad had quality gear, and people knew it. A couple weeks after he was diagnosed I was over at his place and we were talking about a rifle I really wanted. Right in the middle of the conversation he interrupted me and said "let me show you something." He pulled out the Caspian and asked if I was interested in it. Honestly, my first thought was to not be a vulture, so I told him I didn't want to parcel out his property, and we should focus on him and his wants while we still had time.

In short, I have been using the Caspian, but it still has yet to be decided whether I or one of my siblings gets to take on permanent ownership of it. Seeing as how I am hoping to improve enough to shoot bullseye, and have been working towards that I will just say that I have a high interest in getting this over my siblings. But the last this I want is to create hard feelings with family over something that was so important to my dad.

Now, as for customizations to your 1911, google Caspian Arms Ltd., and you will see some fine parts to drool over. Take note that Caspian has parts, not whole guns. They are all about custom work.

That said, I really liked your 1911 Evad. I think I could learn to shoot it proficiently very quickly. I'd be interested in benching it and seeing just how tight it is capable of shooting.
Last edited by darkwolf45 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby DitchDR on Tue May 14, 2013 12:15 pm

XDM45 I know this post is better than a month old now, but have you shot it much more since this. I picked one up today to compliment my XDM 3.8 compact 45, based on the reviews here and Hickok45 on youtube. Any likes or dislikes? Things to watch out for while it gets broken in ( its new)? It will be Monday befor I get a chance to shoot this pistol, but my research about it doesnt stop.

Thanks
DitchDR

Postby XDM45 on Tue May 14, 2013 2:54 pm

DitchDR wrote:XDM45 I know this post is better than a month old now, but have you shot it much more since this. I picked one up today to compliment my XDM 3.8 compact 45, based on the reviews here and Hickok45 on youtube. Any likes or dislikes? Things to watch out for while it gets broken in ( its new)? It will be Monday befor I get a chance to shoot this pistol, but my research about it doesnt stop.

Thanks

I've put a few hundred rounds though it and the XDs is great, but I need work on shooting it. Big hands + small gun + different trigger = time needed on the range for me. I need more 7 round mags for it. Nice gun, wouldn't use it as my main carry gun or range gun, but it's nice. I'll use it as a CC when-I-must gun and as a backup to my primary OC.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby arizona98tj on Thu May 16, 2013 10:00 pm

I picked up the XD-S several months ago and love it.

Don't worry about changing out the trigger on it (as your carry gun) as there isn't a trigger available. PRP makes a spring kit but IMO, it is a waste of money....luckily on $20 worth of waste. Some company will most likely come up with one at some point. At least the trigger take up and over travel is better than an out of the box XD.

The targets shows the 3rd and 4th magazines out of mine.....10 rounds @ 7 yds, my 230 gr FMJ reloads, at a 1" bull. Two shots got away from me....what more do you want from a .45ACP carry gun that weighs less than 22 oz? I picked up a horizontal mag holder for it the other day. Everything I hoped it would be.

arizona98tj

Postby XDM45 on Fri May 17, 2013 7:42 am

Nice shootin'.....

Also cool on the mag holder.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Previous

Return to Reviews