Cree LED light bulbs (Home Depot)

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: Cree LED light bulbs (Home Depot)

Postby ttousi on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:01 am

Home Depot does a 10% vet discount?

yes.......I show my VA card and it's 10%
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby gunsmith on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:09 am

ttousi wrote:

Wow,

The guy who started ENTERPRISE rent a car served on THE ENTERPRISE in WWII....wonder if they have a vet discount.

Edited to add:

Just googled this:

Enterprise Rental Car Discount Code for Veterans Advantage Members

Veterans Advantage Membership VetRewards Card members are entitled to a discount from Enterprise Rental Car

http://www.veteransadvantage.com/cms/co ... ental-cars
gunsmith

Postby Pat Cannon on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:33 am

I knew those pain-in-the-ass compact fluorescent bulbs would be obsolete soon!
Pat Cannon

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:50 am

gunsmith wrote:
ttousi wrote:

Wow,

The guy who started ENTERPRISE rent a car served on THE ENTERPRISE in WWII....wonder if they have a vet discount.

Edited to add:

Just googled this:

Enterprise Rental Car Discount Code for Veterans Advantage Members

Veterans Advantage Membership VetRewards Card members are entitled to a discount from Enterprise Rental Car

http://www.veteransadvantage.com/cms/co ... ental-cars

Unfortunately I found Veterans Advantage to be a sink hole for your membership fees. You go through the BS of doing everything through their site and then do it through the regular sites for whatever you are buying and find that there is no "advantage"

You supposedly have 30 days to cancel - be prepared to go through your credit card company to dispute the charge b4 you get your 30 day cancel!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:40 pm

gunsmith wrote:
FJ540 wrote:$13 each, minus 10% vet discount.

Not having to run through the front door to keep the bugs out was worth every penny!

2 things: Home Depot does a 10% vet discount?
Is the color of the light so different that bugs aren't attracted? That would be impressive.

Bugs like UV radiation, sources of blue light and heat. "Warm" (2700-3500k) LED puts out a lot less UV radiation than fluorescent bulbs, less heat than either incandescent or fluorescent. The "cool" or daylight type LED and CF bulbs tend closer to 5000k and produce more blue light which is more attractive to bugs. A "warm" color tone LED light has a lot of the same advantages of the old fashioned yellow "bug bulbs" without the cost or heat.

I haven't had a single bulb fail since writing my comments about the Cree's (including 2 x fully enclosed fixtures runnning 3 x of the 60w equivalent bulbs) and my electrical bill has dropped as expected. I'm tracking on-plan against my >2 year ROI for the cost to make the upgrade on 10 year life bulbs, one of the better home improvements I've made in the past few years.
yuppiejr

Postby FJ540 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Been using LED's in the kitchen and a couple other rooms, as well as another outdoor fixture, and I'm sold on them. The heat reduction is fantastic, and the reduced electrical consumption is nice too. We used to get a decent amount of snow melt from the kitchen lights (even in insulated cans), and that's a thing of the past now.
FJ540

Postby gunsmith on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:34 pm

I remember 'bug lights'...regular light bulbs but they were Yellow....don't remember if they really worked...and can't remember seeing them in hardware / grocery stores ????
gunsmith

Postby FJ540 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:39 am

They helped some.

I was instrumental in getting my parents to leave the driveway light on after a couple car break-ins in our driveway growing up. The hill on both sides of the tuck under garage was too dark and opportune being half way between two street lights.

We had yellow glass in the fixture for that, but the bottom was exposed. That did attract some bugs, but nothing like before putting the colored glass in.

The Cree's are the "warm" color, and I just spent an hour replacing a belt on my truck by them and didn't have any issue with bugs.
FJ540

Postby gunsmith on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 am

FJ540 wrote:They helped some.

I was instrumental in getting my parents to leave the driveway light on after a couple car break-ins in our driveway growing up. The hill on both sides of the tuck under garage was too dark and opportune being half way between two street lights.

We had yellow glass in the fixture for that, but the bottom was exposed. That did attract some bugs, but nothing like before putting the colored glass in.

The Cree's are the "warm" color, and I just spent an hour replacing a belt on my truck by them and didn't have any issue with bugs.

They should promote that.
gunsmith

Postby FJ540 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:32 am

I've had par38 spots on the side of the shop which are on a dusk/dawn switch as well, I never paid any attention to the fact they stopped collecting bugs when I switched to the LED's. I switched because I couldn't keep a halogen alive more than 4 months in that fixture. I paid the premium there, because I was tired of climbing the ladder, not to mention the ROI was only a year if they last that long. I'd gone to the par's from halogens, because those were only good for 3 months tops, and even the expensive bulbs didn't last appreciably longer than what came from horrible freight. One of the desirable attributes of the LED's in the side yard (security) application, is that they don't spread the beam like even a spot halogen par - the light goes to the yard, not into the neighbors bedroom windows. We illuminate that because it invites thieves otherwise. Prior to my building the shop (which is when that light went in), the neighbors shed had been vandalized/robbed several times. They haven't lost a thing since.

I'll likely rip out the halogens from the back yard light when the last of my bulbs gives out. We're done buying CFL junk. We've never had any of those live to advertised lifespan - in high use applications, they're not even close!
FJ540

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:17 am

I noticed HD was selling a Cree "flood" style LED bulb for $20 last time I was through, :

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-9-5-Wat ... /204366182

.. or $70 for a 4 pack:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-9-5-Wat ... /204369018

.. presumably meant for indoor ceiling can lights but if someone does have an application where outdoor flood type bulbs are needed (in a semi-weatherproof fixture) it could be an option.
yuppiejr

Postby FJ540 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:50 pm

I got mine at wally world or menards (I forget which), and they're outdoor and dimmable rated so the low setting on my motion sensor still works. They were around 28 each IIRC. I think one is Phillips, and I'm not sure what the other is. They don't match.
FJ540

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 am

reviving an old thread here, but had a question of you learned people who have had more experience with LED bulbs than I have.

I'm noticing that most of the bulbs I'm seeing are not recommended for enclosed fixtures. What's the story with that? My understanding is that they run cooler so they would be ideal for enclosed fixtures. Although I'm spotting what looks like cooling fins on the bases that I'm assuming are there for the transformer that is built in. Also, I was assuming since they don't use a filament that using them in a ceiling fan that may not be fully balanced (question for another thread) they would work better and would not be bothered by the vibration.

Also, while tinkering with the display at HD I noticed that the bulb on the dimmer would strobe noticably at a certain position on the dimmer - problem with the set up or is this typical of the LED bulb?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

Just got a bunch, not done yet but I bought enough to replace the lights that are:
A: In use a lot (some all night long)
B: Hard to reach

Those CREE floods aren't cheap, but I 'only' needed 4 of them so I went for it... they are in a vaulted ceiling and kind of suck to replace.

Outside and basement lights I went with the daylight version, inside/upstairs I went with warm as we get a lot more sunlight up there and it's just generally brighter anyway.
Thunder71

Postby xd9 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Just to dig this thread up again. Just tonight I was able to buy the Cree 60 watt soft white bulbs at Eden Prairie Home Depot for $4.97 each. Was the cheapest I have ever seen them.
xd9

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews