Springfield EMP 9MM

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Springfield EMP 9MM

Postby lizard55033 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Well I went to Bill's in Hudson on Sunday to run some more rounds through my Taurus PT809; as well as rent the Springfield EMP 9MM

Well the EMP is catigorizerd as a Sub-Compact 1911 with it only being a 3" barrel.Though in my eyes is a compact due to the grip is just short of a full size grip.

I had put around 150 rounds through her while I was there and I was suprised with the accuracy of the pistol shooting 2 handed as well as 1 handed strong and weak hand. Shooting from 15 and 25 feet I was having fairly tight groups (3") for being the first time I have handled this pistol. Would I go as far as buying said pistol for a stand alone CCW machine; Yes! It fits my hands better than most of the other pistols in this catagory. Though I'd lean more towards the 4.25 verses the 3" barrel; I'm not yet sold on the 1911 platform just yet.
lizard55033

Re: Springfield EMP 9MM

Postby Inspiribomb on Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:45 pm

I also rented the EMP from Bills and loved it, except the model they had was one of the earlier production models that suffered from chambered that were a wee bit too tight, causing numerous FTF jams. Ended up buying the .40 EMP and loved it. Get yourself some custom grips from Esmeralda and it will really dress it up!
Aaron
Inspiribomb

Postby westhope on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 pm

I've got a 9 mm and 40 SW. Yes the early chambers were tight. Worked fine for factory ammo. Reloads needed to be re-sized fully to the bottom. (Or have the chamber reamed out.) The aluminum frame 9 mm is fun to shoot. The heavier steel frame 40 SW has a definite snap to the recoil.

I'm a 1911 guy, really like them. But, a 4 or 4.25 inch barrel carries just as well. I would like to see them make an EMP in a 4 inch barrel. The grip on an EMP is shorter front to back since the 9 mm & 40 SW are shorter than a 45 ACP. This is mainly why I think the grip feels better. EMP's are nice guns.

Mine sit in the safe most of the time I feel like carrying a 1911. When I carry a 1911, I carry an aluminum frame Commander, standard length grip with a 4 inch barrel, 45 ACP. Sometimes I carry a Officer's length grip, 4 inch barrel, aluminum frame. For me, a 4 inch barrel is the right length. 3 inch is too short.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby lizard55033 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Going from shooting my Taurus 809 to the EMP they trigger feel with a night and day difference. Trigger setup on the EMP was very crisp with very little travel as well as very little over travel. Felt around 4lbs or so; compare to the heavy trigger on my taurus.
lizard55033

Return to Reviews