reloading training w/OldmanFCSA

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

reloading training w/OldmanFCSA

Postby Sprouticus on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:58 pm

I just had my first reloading training today with Doug, aka “OldmanFCSA”.

It was a great experience, he walked me through all the steps giving many useful insights into why you need to do things a certain way.

I had read a few manuals before going (never loaded any ammo before today), and new the basic steps. But Doug has a way of making you explain these steps to him that made me wish I read even more.

So if you are thinking about getting into reloading, look him up you won’t regret it.
One last thing he had some very good advice on equipment, as he has used most brands and types of reloading gear.
Sprouticus

Re: reloading training w/OldmanFCSA

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:53 am

Thanks for the positive review, and for not mentioning the disarray of my loading tables.
Sorry that you had to leave so soon to deal with concerns at home, but hope you were able to "flush" that issue.

Actually after you left, I spent most of the day CLEANING and re-organizing my loading tables.
One Dillon 550 was moved to its own reloading table and all related supplies stored there also, or until I ran out of room and stored the brass in 40mm ammo cans under the bench/table. It is currently setup for 223Rem.
The other Dillon 550 was re-positioned to allow resetting the Lee press I use for de-capping before SS Pin processing, and other support activities.
The Dillon Super-Swage was re-positioned to left end of main table.
But I'm only about 1/4th done with reorganizing the reloading area.
Then the 4 shelves above the table, each 12 feet long, need to be sorted, re-organized, and cleaned, moving non-essential items to shop storage area.

As to my teaching technique, I've learned to ask the student WHY. Asking WHY repeatedly makes a person think about their answer, asking it repeatedly makes the student question himself, thinking it thru completely. If they are correct, I tell them so after hearing their side of the discussion. But I use it as a learning tool. Don't make a blank statement without having the thought process to properly being able to back it up. On any area where I find fault with their reasoning, I explain WHY. AND SOMETIMES EVEN I GET TAUGHT A NEW TECHNIQUE OR PROCESS.
Keeping an open mind allows all parties to learn together, and hopefully without learning from our deadly mistakes.

Feel free to call with any questions about reloading, offroad racing of motorcyles, or anything related.
(My family raced KTM's since 1989, Yamahas before that. Enduros are our specialty. And I am a member of the Straight Arrow Enduro Riders holding events in Minnesota and Wisconsin.)
OldmanFCSA

Postby Randygmn on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:35 pm

How far are you from downtown minneapolis, oldman?
Randygmn

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:43 am

51 miles from here to HCMC, wife drives it most days to work.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Eric Marleau on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:25 pm

I might need some training reloading .223 this spring Sir.
Only caliber that I have ever had problems with.
A Ruger American .223 followed me home from Lakes Trading last week.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby dupa on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:37 pm

well I'm just going to add on here.. was out at OldmanFCSA for the better part of this afternoon. he has quite the set up and took the time to explain things. I appreciate his patients with my questions and his explaining where people go wrong and how to keep things safe and enjoyable.

I would recommend him to anyone who needs a fine tune. or if your just getting into it and want to walk through the equipment.. good people,

THANKS..
dupa

Return to Reviews