(Another) Review of Reloading with OldmanFCSA

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Postby Ron Burgundy on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Today I had the opportunity to spend a little time learning the basics of reloading with OldmanFCSA. Man, I wish I would have done this a year ago! Doug is a kind man and has graciously offered training to me and other members of this forum again and again. Hearing the rave reviews of other MNGTers who spent time with Doug was what pushed me to go see what this guy was all about. I'm glad I did. I thought I'd add a quick review for anyone else thinking about reloading.

Prior to training with Doug, I had zero reloading experience. I've watched a lot of videos on YouTube (a lot) and spent a considerable time lurking over in the reloading forums of the Highroad and Brian Enos. I had a basic understanding of the process but Doug really made it real. Reading or watching reloading is one thing -- experiencing it in a SAFE and friendly atmosphere is another. There is something about doing each step on the single stage (and later on the 550) that made it 'click'.

Having no prior reloading experience, safety was a hug concern for me. Working with Doug really eased my concern. We verified data in manuals, double checked charges and measurements at a pace that I could feel comfortable with. I have a healthy respect for the process and Doug made sure I knew what I was doing at all times. No micromanagement, no harsh directives - just a watchful eye and carefully crafted questions. I felt completely confident when I lit off my first round. That is something I will never forget!

Doug has a real gift for teaching. There is something about his method of asking questions and letting the student get their hands dirty that really worked for me.

So, if you have even the slightest inkling that you may be interested in reloading, I highly recommend you spend a little time with Doug. If you're lucky, maybe he'll even drag out the .50. That thing was nuts.
Ron Burgundy

Re: (Another) Review of Reloading with OldmanFCSA

Postby Spartan on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:31 pm

OLDMAN is like Savoit Faire ..... he's everywhere!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Xf5YSOgg0
Spartan

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:41 pm

WOW, Thanks for the great review !!!!

I do love teaching reloading, especially when my students are so willing and eager to learn.

I sure wish more would come out to play.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Ron Burgundy on Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 am

Bump for a good guy.

I set-up my press (550b) and chrono'd my first 50 rounds on Saturday. What a rush! Thanks again to Oldman FCSA for the training!
Ron Burgundy

Postby Ron Burgundy on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:19 pm

This afternoon I loaded my 1,000th round on the 550. I've shot a little more than half. No squibs. No KBs. Just a lot of fun.

Thanks again to OldmanFCSA for showing me the ropes.

Go see him if he's still taking students.
Ron Burgundy

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:58 am

I'm still taking students.

I have two that are setting up dates to reload 50BMG, which is much more involved due to brass prep requirements for a "Match" chambered rifle.

Send me an e-mail that includes a scanned copy of your Drivers License, which is used for Identification purposes only, to: OldmanFCSA@aol.com
Upon receipt I will send my phone number and address, afterwhich we can setup a reloading training date.

(If you wish, your DL ID # may be blacked-out, but I need your complete address before you get mine.)
(It's a Security thing only.)

If you don't want to give out your DL copy, get your training off the Internet. Good Luck with that.
OldmanFCSA

Return to Reviews