Double Review: Southwest Arms and AlienGear Holsters

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Postby CIBOIF on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:16 pm

First, I have to give thanks and offer support for Thunderjohn and Southwest Arms. I have been a loyal customer going on 3 years now. Many great purchases from him. Great service, great price, and great person.

My latest purchase was a Sig Sauer P229R in 9mm. I love my striker fired guns but fell in love again with the Sig. This one was a little different as it was the Special Configuration in the cardboard box not the commercial plastic case like usual. I suspect this is the way law enforcement receives their firearms from Sig. It came with 3 magazines and Siglight Night Sights, which are excellent. I have been enjoying breaking it in and now has replaced my XDs and PPS as daily carry, which brings me to the holster.

The holsters by Alien Gear are so superb. Comfortable, well made, inexpensive (about $35 shipped for the average) and most important, the best warranty around. Check them out at http://www.aliengearholsters.comDelivery times are around 4 weeks. I ordered my latest holster on 2/18 and it was delivered today 3/13.

Here's a photo of my P229R styling in it's new ride. Thanks John for another great firearm!

CIBOIF

Postby gun_fan111 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:29 pm

Nice!

I've been debating about roughing up the back - anybody has done that?
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: Double Review: Southwest Arms and AlienGear Holsters

Postby Deputyhiro on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Huh. I just ordered one of those holsters for my SRC9 a few hours ago... Good to hear!
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby Deputyhiro on Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Can you sit / drive a car fairly comfortably with it on?
Deputyhiro

Postby CIBOIF on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:26 pm

I have not "roughed" up the back, don't know why you would need to as it's very comfortable and doesn't slip. Sits great on the belt and I like mine to sit a little lower and use the deepest setting. This is tuck-able and completely disappears under a simple button down shirt tucked over it.

I have worn my other two daily for months rotating my PPS and Glock 30. This one for the Sig is just as awesome and works great in the car, walking the pooch, working around the house etc. Sitting is fine and driving is no sweat. Good holster.
CIBOIF

Postby Deputyhiro on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:11 pm

Good to know. Now, I play the waiting game…...
Deputyhiro

Postby Ranger01 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:39 am

How thick/stiff is the leather? I currently use a SHTF ACE-1 and the leather likes to fold over and prevent easy holstering/reholstering, and more importantly it knocks the safety off...
Ranger01

Postby CIBOIF on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:47 am

Leather is good high quality tanning and finishing process. Good stiffness but not uncomfortable and 1/8 inch thick.
CIBOIF

Postby MWAG on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:11 pm

I've had my Aliengear for about 6 months now. Great, thick leather. No folding on this one. As for roughing up the back? The back is already on the rough side, and has stayed put. I see no reason to mess with it. I've got mine set on the low setting as well and is very comfortable at 5:00. The only thing that I can say bad about it there, makes it a bit hard to dig out the wallet sitting so low. I tried it at 3:30, and it does dig in a little when sitting. Glock 26
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Re:

Postby Ranger01 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

MWAG wrote:I've had my Aliengear for about 6 months now. Great, thick leather. No folding on this one. As for roughing up the back? The back is already on the rough side, and has stayed put. I see no reason to mess with it. I've got mine set on the low setting as well and is very comfortable at 5:00. The only thing that I can say bad about it there, makes it a bit hard to dig out the wallet sitting so low. I tried it at 3:30, and it does dig in a little when sitting. Glock 26

Have you tried swapping your wallet to the other side? I started carrying my wallet on the left side when I started carrying, makes it easier to get in and out and prevents... misunderstandings...
Ranger01

Re: Re:

Postby Deputyhiro on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Ranger01 wrote:
MWAG wrote:I've had my Aliengear for about 6 months now. Great, thick leather. No folding on this one. As for roughing up the back? The back is already on the rough side, and has stayed put. I see no reason to mess with it. I've got mine set on the low setting as well and is very comfortable at 5:00. The only thing that I can say bad about it there, makes it a bit hard to dig out the wallet sitting so low. I tried it at 3:30, and it does dig in a little when sitting. Glock 26

Have you tried swapping your wallet to the other side? I started carrying my wallet on the left side when I started carrying, makes it easier to get in and out and prevents... misunderstandings...

Bingo. I thought I was the only one who did that. :D
Deputyhiro

Postby Uffdaphil on Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:45 am

It looks like your R is the same as my Enhanced Elite except for the beavertail. Does the rail drag at all when drawing?

The factory grips look terrible when they wear. Love the Hogue G10 Piranha replacements. What's with the Sig grip removal tool? They just pop out via finger up the mag well.
Attachments
image.jpg
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Re: Re:

Postby MWAG on Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Ranger01 wrote:

:idea:

Wow, that's going to take some time getting used to.

Also, I've attached a few pics for all to view in case they had questions.
Attachments
3.jpg
Front
2.jpg
Back
1.jpg
Thick
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby CIBOIF on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:32 pm

The P229R is pretty much the same as your enhanced elite with the exception being mine does not have the extra beaver tail and no short reset trigger. I am going to add the SRT. The rail does not drag at all when drawing or reholstering. It is really a nice holster and like my other AlienGear holsters, they work, are comfortable, and well made.

Yeah, no need for the grip tool for the E2 grips. I like the new grips they work well for me, although those Hogue G10's look pretty sweet.
CIBOIF

Postby Deputyhiro on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Got my Alien Gear holster for my Ruger SR9C last week. Been carrying with it for a few days now. I have to say, not bad. Adjustable, comfortable, and deffinately affordable. Would recommend.
Deputyhiro

Return to Reviews