Frank Proctor Performance Pistol AAR

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Frank Proctor Performance Pistol AAR

Postby GNCAaron on Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:22 pm

Hello fellow MNguntalk members,

My name is Aaron, and I've written a few AARs on here for various pistol and rifle courses that I've taken. I recently took Frank Proctor's Performance Pistol class, and it was fantastic. Regardless of how or why you carry a pistol, training is important, and good training is paramount. I'd recommend Proctor's pistol class to anyone who carries a pistol.

Frank is both a champion competition shooter, as well as a former Green Beret, so he has a foot in both sides of the house. One thing Frank said right away was, whether the target is cardboard or somebody shooting back, the person who scores the most hits on target the quickest will probably win. Simple, but true. The two day class was focused on increasing speed and accuracy.

We got plenty of practice increasing the speed of our draw and presentation. Most drills were between 1-5 shots, and with over 1000 rounds fired, there was a lot of drawing and re-holstering. Most of the class consisted of advanced shooters, so most of us had our draw down just fine. Frank emphasized the classic "smooth is fast", and told us to "be fluid, like water". What that means to him is, going fast is great, but only if its smooth. There were a couple cops in the class, and while they did fine with their retention holsters, Frank said that cops trying to go too fast and jerking the gun before the retention is released is a common problem he sees, especially when he's timing us.

Regarding presentation of the pistol, Frank showed us the difference between pressing out to target, then getting a finger on the trigger and pressing the shot when the gun is at full extension, versus, getting a finger on the trigger and working the slack while the gun is still being pressed out. That way, when the pistol reaches full extension, all that awaits the boom is that final pound or two of pressure. Again, s/he who gets his/her hits fastest wins.

When shooting fast, control of the pistol is paramount. Frank talked about the classic 40/60 grip pressure technique, and while that is fine, in a nutshell, he told us to grip "harder" with both hands. There is always a harder. When shooting fast up close, it's difficult to grip too hard. Naturally, when shooting at longer distances or really small targets, where more finite trigger control is required, relaxing the grip is just fine. Shooting different targets at different rates of fire is a balance between grip strength and trigger finesse.

We also worked reloads, target transitions, an shooting on the move.

Frank is fine with either power stroking the slide or depressing the slide catch/release when doing a slide-lock reload. Whichever method a person chooses should be based on both hand and pistol size. Of course, it is faster to depress the slide catch/release, and that's what Frank ideally recommends, but he certainly doesn't scold anyone who racks the slide.

We did a lot of multiple target drills, both static and on the move. Many of the drills were reminiscent of a USPSA stage. I've only shot USPSA once, but I thought it was a blast. The only thing Frank didn't have us do that we did at a match was a speed reload with rounds still in the mag. We did plenty of tactical and slide-lock reloads, but speed reloads with a gun that still has bullets is strictly for gun games, and I was happy to see Frank preclude that practice during his class.

Finally, regarding accuracy, most of the class was shot at standard USPSA targets, with a normal 8"x10" sheet of paper taped over the A-Zone. Whether we were shooting at three yards, or 25 yards, the accuracy standard didn't change - the rate of fire changed. We all have a different level of marksmanship skill, and there is no "end". Everyone can always get a little better.

In summary, the class was very informative, and a lot of fun. I take three or four pistol classes per year - some are really good like Proctor's, and some leave quite a bit to be desired. It was all the way down in Kansas City, but was definitely worth the drive. Frank is a great communicator, very laid back (which translates to being approachable), and has a good sense of humor. I'd like to take his rifle class someday, and would even take his pistol class again.

Take care, and stay safe.
Aaron
Chaska, MN
GNCAaron

Re: Frank Proctor Performance Pistol AAR

Postby TTS on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:35 am

Thanks for the AAR, where did you take the class?
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Re: Frank Proctor Performance Pistol AAR

Postby GNCAaron on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:48 am

Kansas City, KS. Specifically, the Mill Creek Rifle Club in Desoto KS. I signed up at http://www.aliastraining.com
GNCAaron

Return to Reviews