Burnsville Pistol Range

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Burnsville Pistol Range

Postby gargoyle999 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:10 pm

Read many online reviews and to be honest I was a bit scared how I would be treated. Most include comments that the staff has a really bad attitude towards customers. Paid my first visit today and didn't notice any bad attitude. It must have been Roger we checked in with. Told him it was our first time, he went over the rules checked my ammo and gave us our lane number. Didn't give me a hard time about anything.

Space is a bit tight in the range and I wish the little table on the line was bigger. Lighting was good and setting the distance for my target worked fine. They make you hang the target a little lower than I would like. Only real issue I had was that the ventilation is odd. It blows toward you so my smoke would blow back in my face. A couple guys who were obviously regulars actually wore surgical masks!

I'm going to go back in a couple days and I plan to get either the shot card good for 10 trips or the membership where you get 1/2 price on range fees. Haven't decided yet. Finally I wish there were open on Mondays but that seems to be the slow day as other ranges are closed on Monday as well.

In my area this is the only option besides Gander Mountain. I mostly like GM but the lighting is very dark for some reason so I am looking for an alternative.

I have 5 guns on the way and I am going to use them for my transfers. If I have any visits to BPR and experience the bad attitude I'll be sure to post an update!
gargoyle999

Re: Burnsville Pistol Range

Postby Aztecf on Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:57 pm

I've always been treated well there and I go several times a week.
Aztecf

Postby mr.paul on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Been there many times. Easily the range I go to the most. Always good service. Roger will be patient with you and also tell it like it is. Price is reasonable! They let me use and pick up my reloads (this is a big deal). Sometimes I wish the lighting was better because my older eyes have a hard time seeing black bullseye hits, but reactive shoot n see type targets take care of that. All in all I like BPR!
mr.paul

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:05 pm

Never had a bad experience there or heard of anybody that did. Roger is always willing to share his extensive knowledge of firearms.
gun_fan111v2

Burnsville Pistol Range

Postby Blutarski on Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:39 pm

I have been a member there for a little over a year now. Dont get there as often as I would like, but they have always been friendly and pleasant to deal with. The only time I have seen anyone get stern with a customer is when somebody thinks that the range rules dont apply to them.
Blutarski

Postby gargoyle999 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:53 am

mr.paul wrote:Sometimes I wish the lighting was better
Lighting at BPR is a lot better than Gander Mountain though. Going there is like being on an episode of CSI and wondering why is it so dark in here!

I went to Bill's in Circle Pines to rent some guns recently. I thought that was nice but I didn't like the one gun at a time rule as I like to readily switch off. So just for proximity and lighting improvement vs Gander, BPR will be my main range I think. I don't have an issue with any of the rules there. I'm leaning towards the Megashooter membership since my wife goes about a 1/3 of the time and I'd like to bring 3 guns at a time once I get my new ones.
gargoyle999

Postby gargoyle999 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Just a quick update on my gun transfers. 5 guns $45, that is really good I think. Roger and the other guy behind the counter were friendly. Old school with filling out a paper form instead of on the computer. Got the guns cleaned and lubed and plan to go back Sunday to test them out!
gargoyle999

Postby SIGP240 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:58 pm

As you all are aware, our shooting fraternity has a budding sorority. I have never seen so many women at the range, since I shed nimrod status in 1960. Subsequently, the increased shooting population puts pressure on indoor ranges like BPR. To shoot on Sunday, for instance, I'm in line about 11:30AM. With the 6:00 closing time that day, be prepared to WAIT. It's worth it. All the personnel behind the counter are top drawer. Keep in mind, with video monitoring, you need to follow their simple rules. Last week a customer got lax about safety; you can presume the outcome. Ventilation is moderate: so keep an eye on your environmental lead exposure. Your medical insurance will usually cover the blood test. Wash well after shooting. Wear long sleeves when possible. Change shoes before reentering your house and your clothing goes into the wash. A N95 mask may be a good idea too. -- Lighting give you pools of light at various distances. Overhead lighting at the shooting point is not overly bright. Fluorescent glow sites may be just fine if you pick the right station. Targets now need to be hung fairly low. So, for you precision bullseye shooters, measure the distance from the floor to your front sight with a tape, then you know where to attach your target. ( i.e. Don't shoot on incline/decline ). Bathrooms are spotless, plenty of coat rack, too. Look at their website bvpistol.com so you don't fly down there on a match night ( e/o Thurs ). I don't think they allow pneumatic weapons, so you may have to leave your Feinwerkbau at home ;(. The cost aspect is good. Pop for 450$ and you can take two guests, no limit on time or weapons! I take two guests and 12 pistols, resulting in some good experiences. Steel, steel core, penetrator, armor piercing and tracer fodder is not allowed, you probably will get your ammo scanned with a Samarium Cobalt magnet, especially since the fire. I think 410 shotgun is the only smooth bore round allowed on the pistol range. All in all this is a great place to practice....bring your fellow shooters along!
Proudly launching lead from a Swiss P-240 at a range near you.
SIGP240

Return to Reviews