LabRadar

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

LabRadar

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 am

Figure it was time to do a review for you folks. Have never done a review so bare with me. Am a geek kind of guy that likes the latest in technology. Have built computers and work stations in the past so when I saw the information in the beginning of the year about the LabRadar, and I was in the market for my 1st chronograph, I decided I wanted this. I called and emailed about every 2 weeks since January for information and to get one of the 1st sent out. I missed out on the 1st batch by one person. 1st batch went to professional reviewers. Got one of the 1st when 2nd batch came out.
Lets start with the unit.
Decided to buy the bag and Bench mount while I was at it. The unit cost $559.99, the padded case cost $39.95 and the Bench mount was $29.99. You still cannot buy one online yet if you check out there web site. These will be slow coming in.

Here is a close up picture. Takes 6 AA batteries, which does eat them a bit. After 2 range trips, I had to replace them. Lower left is the SD card slot to record your data. Pretty much limited by the size of your SD card. On the lower right is a USB connection to hook it up to a laptop if you want to use power from that. Have talked to LabRadar folks and you can use a power pack like you see for cell phones and such. Top Middle is the screen, Left side are buttons for selecting options, starting a new series or deleting a series, right side buttons are to select your series to review. The blue light indicates the unit is on, will turn orange when it is armed and ready to record.

Here is what it looks like when you start a new series

Here is one that shows the results of a series

If you decide to look at a single shot in a series

You can select up to 5 distances when setting up your preferences. Max distance is approximately 100 yards. I will be contacting LabRadar to see if I can publish the manual. Only 23 pages long for more details.
To configure your LabRadar, you selections are: Velocity Units, Distances Units, Weight Units, Select Velocity Range, Set projectile offset, Set distances, Projectile weight, Arm time, Screen saver, trigger source, trigger level, TX channel, TX power, system date, system time. If I get permission to post the manual, then you can see what all of this stuff is. If not, will be checking how detailed I can post information from the manual.

Here is a picture of a printed series. You will notice some areas not recorded. Alignment is key and am still learning it and trying different aim points. There is a V slot on top to help align it but my old eyes still have difficult at 100 yard ranges. (Sorry folks, having issues with photo bucket getting this to look straight. Will work on it).

The sensitivity is a son of a gun. Have had this out 3 times. Back yard, indoor range and out door range. When I was at the out door range, I had to lower the sensitivity. Picked up a shot 3 stalls down but was considered a not recorded. There are times I shot and did not record either. Most I presume are operator error but as with anything new, may take time to figure out and work out the bugs. I will update this review when I get a response back from LabRadar. If you have questions, feel free to ask. If you want one, get in line as there are allot of folks on the waiting list. Last time I talked to LabRadar, I mentioned that folks who saw mine want one. He replied it will be awhile to get things ramped up. Probably missed some things so will go over my notes and post back. Hope this helps you decide if the LabRadar is worth the money.

Pros: Sits beside you. Don't have to worry about shooting it.
Works is just about all weather. No worry about cloudy days, etc.
Records good information for reloaders or folks wanting to see what there commercial ammo is actually doing
Easy setup
Light weight unit
Can use tri pods for different heights

Cons: EXPENSIVE
Eats batteries but options are available for external power
Alignment is tricky
Sensitivity is tricky to get it right
Miss recording on some shots

Am done for now. Thanks
Tried another photo but will work on it for a better one of the printed series.

Got the ok to post from the manual. Won't do all but I think these will do. 10 pages.
Last edited by Bearcatrp on Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:19 am, edited 9 times in total.
Bearcatrp

Re: LabRadar

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:43 am

Was just about to ask again on this. Looks interesting so far.

I did see that Midway has a preorder set up on them, expected 9/21/2015, not much else out there for info on them.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/523157/labradar-ballistic-velocity-doppler-radar-chronograph
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:07 am

Am hoping for LabRadar to give me the green light on posting pictures of the manual. Or even going into details on the settings. Not sure how far I can go so figured I better stop for now until they respond to my request. I wouldn't put to much stock in that delivery date. They were months off target getting the reviewers one to review. Was funny when I got my email for purchase. Called them up to order. Was first on the list to shut me up. I emailed the hell out of them for 6 months for this thing. Paid off I guess. I do contact them with suggestions on future builds. One is to recess those buttons. The bag does turn on the unit if bumped. Quick fix was to put the manual over the button side. Helped so far.
One thing to add, Oldman was the 1st person to check it out when I paid him a visit. He suggested this unit might be good to use for a 1000 yard range by putting one of these at 900 yards to see what the bullet is doing at 1000 yards. Would suck if you hit it though but a good suggestion for someone wanting to know that info.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:50 am

Bearcatrp wrote:He suggested this unit might be good to use for a 1000 yard range by putting one of these at 900 yards to see what the bullet is doing at 1000 yards. Would suck if you hit it though but a good suggestion for someone wanting to know that info.

My understanding was that it wouldn't work down range unless they figure out a new way to trigger the device.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Ghost wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:He suggested this unit might be good to use for a 1000 yard range by putting one of these at 900 yards to see what the bullet is doing at 1000 yards. Would suck if you hit it though but a good suggestion for someone wanting to know that info.

My understanding was that it wouldn't work down range unless they figure out a new way to trigger the device.

You are correct. But, when I was testing different modes, was told the doppler setting was for slower objects like arrows and to leave it on trigger. Possible could work. Would have to try it to see if it would register. Thanks for catching that.
Posted the pics of the manual. If you want all of them, let me know. Will get to it after while. But I think I have the ones that count. If you see something wrong, let me know and will try to adjust it.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:44 pm

The people at Labradar really suck at marketing. Their website and Facebook page aren't updated and you'd think they were out of business.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:57 pm

Yeah, they need to get there act together if they want to sell allot of these. But with a long list of folks waiting to get one, don't think they are in any hurry. They hyped it up. Almost thought it was vaporware.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:29 pm

Am curious if anyone purchased one now that they are available?
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Where are they available? How are you liking yours?
Ghost

Postby Rodentman on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Looks exciting, but way to advanced for my little rodent brain.
Rodentman

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:30 am

Ghost wrote:Where are they available? How are you liking yours?

Go to there website and click on purchase. Will take you to another page to pre order. From seeing others on AR15.com getting theirs, figured there shipping times are picking up. This thing is great. Glad I spent the money. Always take it the range while working on loads for my savage 10T and my AR10. Still trying different settings.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:22 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
Ghost wrote:Where are they available? How are you liking yours?

Go to there website and click on purchase. Will take you to another page to pre order. From seeing others on AR15.com getting theirs, figured there shipping times are picking up. This thing is great. Glad I spent the money. Always take it the range while working on loads for my savage 10T and my AR10. Still trying different settings.

What do you consider the must have accessories?
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:57 am

I don't like the plate holding the labradar. Easy to knock the chrono alignment off. it works but you have to touch the buttons with kid gloves. Am looking for something else. It works though especially if you have a range that puts those boards across to keep muzzle down from shooting over the berm. I have tried my tripod from my spotting scope. It works but height issues at the range with the boards. Have used my camera tripod. DON'T. To flimsy. Am considering there battery pack as this thing eats batteries. Sucks having to change batteries in the middle of a shoot. Have found that setting muzzle trigger more than 6 inches misses some shots. Same with sensitivity. To much and the guy next to you sets off a miss but not recorded. No way would I go to the range when its full. I got the bag, and plate to put me over. Looking for replacements for both as the bag is a little thin but works. To expensive to chance damaging it. Suggest get the bag, plate and battery pack. Bring 1 set of batteries for backup. I used to be a surveyor in the army and looking for a tripod thats as sturdy as those tripods for standing up recording.
Bearcatrp

Return to Reviews