SOTA Arms...

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

SOTA Arms...

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:05 pm

I sadly agreed to be part of a small group buy of uppers from SOTA Arms without knowing who they were. As far as I'm concerned the $60 I'm out is a lesson learned. They look nice at first glance but the quality is terrible.

So here for your viewing pleasure is a SOTA Arms stripped "billet" upper on a new Mega Arms forged lower:

Something tells me that's not to spec.
grimbeaver

Re: SOTA Arms...

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:09 pm

grimbeaver wrote:I sadly agreed to be part of a small group buy of uppers from SOTA Arms without knowing who they were. As far as I'm concerned the $60 I'm out is a lesson learned. They look nice at first glance but the quality is terrible.

So here for your viewing pleasure is a SOTA Arms stripped "billet" upper on a new Mega Arms forged lower:

Something tells me that's not to spec.

Does the BCG fit? Is there clearance for the charging handle?
Holland&Holland

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:08 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Does the BCG fit? Is there clearance for the charging handle?

Gave it a quick try this morning before leaving for work. The BCG does fit in there and rides off center so what might actually be center for it. But it looks as though it's rubbing a little bit on the back wall of the receiver too. The charging handle went in but I didn't have time to test fit it to a lower to see if there were any clearance issues. Whole thing just seems too likely to have problems to mess with. If it was only a little off I would be inclined to try it but this is really far off which puts all the machining into question in my opinion.
grimbeaver

Postby unfitmother on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:07 am

Yeah, I would be curious to know if the barrel end is all concentric...

Could have life as a 22 or pistol-caliber upper. I was looking at a deal on a SOTA AR. I'm glad you posted this.
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:29 am

unfitmother wrote:Yeah, I would be curious to know if the barrel end is all concentric...

Could have life as a 22 or pistol-caliber upper. I was looking at a deal on a SOTA AR. I'm glad you posted this.

That is my primary concern. If the barrel end is off that could cause severe problems depending on sights used. I need to get with the other two people who got them and see if their's are just as bad. If the person who did the buy wants to try and get money back I'll take it if he gets it but I'm not going to push him for it or make him take the loss. Had I done my research initially I probably would have passed.
grimbeaver

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:48 am

They sure are cheap. I have 2-3 upper receivers that were used on super cheap builds for testing steel targets. Both that are in regular use hold about 2-3MOA with $70 barrels. They look like hell but mine shoot fine.

They should take that one back. Get a hold of them and see what they say.
Sigfan220

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Jeezus. I would consider using it for a .22LR build, but that's it. Nothing worth using otherwise. I would never attempt to "make do" with it.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:29 pm

Well there were 3 total in the shipment. We've checked one of the others and it's okay, the 3rd we have to check still. The guy who bought them is going to contact SOTA and see what they say. Will update when I hear their answer.
grimbeaver

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:19 am

So a little update on this saga...

The guy who bought them has been dragging his feet returning it. In the meantime the guy who took the other upper found it did not fit on his lower so he swapped with the other of the 3 which did fit. He built it out and the barrel alignment is so terrible he says it's unusable. Also the guy who bought them had also bought a SOTA lower and has discovered that none of his magazines drop free from it. So now he's got a 3 uppers and a lower all of which need to be returned. I'll post an update when I hear how that goes.
grimbeaver

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:20 am

grimbeaver wrote:So a little update on this saga...

The guy who bought them has been dragging his feet returning it. In the meantime the guy who took the other upper found it did not fit on his lower so he swapped with the other of the 3 which did fit. He built it out and the barrel alignment is so terrible he says it's unusable. Also the guy who bought them had also bought a SOTA lower and has discovered that none of his magazines drop free from it. So now he's got a 3 uppers and a lower all of which need to be returned. I'll post an update when I hear how that goes.

Buyer beware on off brand lowers. I got an expensive billet lower from a smaller outfit that would not drop free. Their response was to run a mag in and out until it breaks in!! This was a anodized aluminum lower. I'd be old and grey before I wore through the anodizing let alone remove any material with a magazine. Needless to say I never used it. Stick with the known brands for lowers. "Cry once, buy once" applies to a lot of things in life.

Hopefully they take care of this in a timely manner. They are just north of the cities if you want to drive up.
Sigfan220

Postby JFettig on Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Evan, did you forget the part where you were asked to bring it by the shop to check it out and then you didn't and continued to bash it. From what I hear, the new owner loves it and all his mags drop free.
JFettig

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:23 am

JFettig wrote:Evan, did you forget the part where you were asked to bring it by the shop to check it out and then you didn't and continued to bash it. From what I hear, the new owner loves it and all his mags drop free.

So can we assume you are with SOTA arms?

While I can appreciate wanting to set the record straight with a customer. Do realize this is a forum. That pic does not look well to perspective customers. You may want to address that rather than take your squabble public.
Holland&Holland

Postby grimbeaver on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:00 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
JFettig wrote:Evan, did you forget the part where you were asked to bring it by the shop to check it out and then you didn't and continued to bash it. From what I hear, the new owner loves it and all his mags drop free.

While I can appreciate wanting to set the record straight with a customer. Do realize this is a forum. That pic does not look well to perspective customers. You may want to address that rather than take your squabble public.

I don't think he's from SOTA I think he's derailing the post with his own squabble with Evan. Evan said he bought an "expensive billet lower from a smaller outfit". SOTA lowers are cheap.
grimbeaver

Postby JFettig on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:01 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

No, absolutely not affiliated with SOTA arms but Evan isn't talking about a SOTA lower.
JFettig

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:03 pm

I am confused. Is this thread not about a SOTA upper that looks out of alignment? Who is Evan?
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Reviews