Interactive laser target systems

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Interactive laser target systems

Postby phorvick on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 pm

Has anyone here used either the SIRTS system or LaserAmmo system of laser training. I am intrigued by the new SIMCO training option that we (instructors) can offer through the NRA. I was at a demo where both the SIRTS and Laser Ammo systems were available. SIRTS uses a dedicated laser gun, web cam and software to have a pretty neat dry fire/shooting experience. LaserAmmo had laser cartridges (I tried the 9mm and .380), and use your own firearm. They had a set of five interactive targets that wirelessly communicate and was quite fun as a safe, inexpensive way to add more fun to dry fire exercises.

I am leaning towards the LaserAmmo system because you get to use your own gun. Here is a picture of the targets. I am looking for any reviews you may have....
Attachments
lasertargets.png
Picture of the 5-pack of targets from LaserAmmo and their SureStrike system
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Interactive laser target systems

Postby phorvick on Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:11 pm

OK, I ended up going with the Laser Ammo SureStrike system and interactive targets. I ordered 2 of the 9mm laser cartridges and 1 of the .380. I also ordered the 5 pack of electronic targets. The targets will take (so they say) 2-3 weeks to get; the 9mm cartridges came today.

In the ammo packet you get the laser round and a battery. I installed the battery and "dropped in" the cartridge into two guns, a Bersa 9mm and a Sig. Both have double strike capabilities (i.e., no manipulating the slide to reset the trigger). When the ammo is dropped in, my first reaction is that it was too thick, but then I realized that you need to give a little push to fully insert the round, otherwise it would be loose and not as accurate. There is no rim, so to remove, just lock the slide back and use the eraser end of a pencil down the barrel to nudge it out. I only test fired maybe 20 trigger pulls on each gun, but it worked great.

In reading reviews, it seemed like those that were having issues with failures, had it fail very early, so I am hopeful it is a good set. The reviews also suggested to have spare batteries as that is a weak link, and the directions said to remove the battery from the round when not in use. Easy to do.

I decided to go on line and order a replacement battery. I found a few places that had a 3-pack for sale (on Amazon), for about $13-$15 ($4.50-$5.00 per battery). Then, I read a battery review on Amazon that saved tons of money. He said that the "battery" is actually 3 batteries stacked together, and that there is no reason to not order the batteries in bulk. He provided a link for a 100 pack (enough for replacing 33 times), for about $10 delivered to your home. That saved well over $100.

When the trigger is pulled and the "primer" hit, the laser activates and it is a very bright red dot. So far, it is looking good. Very anxious to get the targets.

The picture shows the relative sizes of the cartridge and battery vis-à-vis a dime.

Here is a link to a video of the targets in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn_8mvYNInw
Attachments
laserammo.png
phorvick

Re: Interactive laser target systems

Postby phorvick on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:07 pm

Earlier I posted about purchasing an interactive laser targeting and shooting system. Here is a short and early review:.
---
Today I received the 5-pack of interactive laser targets from LaserAmmo.com. The 5-pack comes in one box with 5 base units, a number of reflective targets, and 15 AAA batteries (each base unit takes 3 AAA batteries). Setup of each base unit only involved removing the bubble wrap on each unit, putting the batteries in, and inserting your choice of reflective target. About one minute per base unit. They don't appear to be flimsy, but I am sure that, like any electronic item, jostling is not good for them.

I used three different 9mm guns: a S&W M&P 9mm; a Bersa 9mm, and a SIG 9mm. I opted for the SIG and Bersa due to their double strike capability; and chose the M&P to see if it is too bothersome to cycle the slide after each trigger pull. Turns out that since the M&P resets the trigger with about a 1/2" slide pull, it was not an issue at all.

I first set the 5 targets out in a straight line, about a foot between them, and used the default mode. In this mode, when the laser hits the reflective target, the base unit lit up and beeped. You can shoot any of the five, as they do not communicate in this mode. In the second mode, it is like steel plates. The targets light up, and as they are hit with the laser, they beep and the light goes off. When the last of the targets is hit, the base units reset back to all lit and you go again. In the third mode, one of the 5 is lit; you shoot it it beeps and the light goes off, but now another random target is lit. This was fun, as it puts elements of randomness into the "game".

So far, just one day...about an hour of use. Love it. Hopefully, the long term reliability will be there also for many hours of personal and teaching enjoyment.
phorvick

Return to Reviews