Filson Warranty

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Re: Filson Warranty

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 pm

I have used the Craftsman warranty a few times. Socket wrench ratchet wore out. They do not make the one I had any longer o it was replaced with a slightly different model.

Leatherman is well known for their no-questions asked warranty. I have heard of guys buying old Leatherman multitools and sending them in for repair or replacement. They will usually just replace with reconditioned units.
hard h2o

Postby jdege on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:49 pm

I had a Filson duster I wore for many years. Eventually it got too ragged. I bought another cost. When it wore out I bought another Filson duster.

When it wears out, I don't know what I'll do - apparently Filson has discontinued it.

Maybe I'll retire to the tropics.

Meanwhile, I still wear the original to SF conventions. It has "character".

jdege

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:15 pm

hard h2o wrote:Leatherman is well known for their no-questions asked warranty. I have heard of guys buying old Leatherman multitools and sending them in for repair or replacement. They will usually just replace with reconditioned units.

To this point and the stories I have seen about LL bean, after you brought them to my attention-I think you definitely can cross a line and be taking advantage of a a solid warranty program. The stories of people going to rummage sales and thrift shops and buying second hand with the specific purpose of returning them for an upgrade clearly crosses said line for me. But I guarantee companies that allow this have run the numbers and feel the warranty program benefits their bottom line in one way or another.

I may be mistaken but I think I have heard stories of Dillon helping out second hand owners with warrantying products from time to time as well.
Jack's My dog

Postby mr.paul on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 pm

I am a firm Filson believer! I have u
sed their customer service and it is exemplary. Ditto for Dillon and Leatherman. Years ago I had two tools break off of a Gerber multitool and contacted them to see if I could buy the parts so I could replace them. They said I needed to send it in. They quickly sent a brand new updated model for free. It was old at that point. But much like the other companies, they didn't bat an eye.
mr.paul

Postby hard h2o on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:09 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:To this point and the stories I have seen about LL bean, after you brought them to my attention-I think you definitely can cross a line and be taking advantage of a a solid warranty program. The stories of people going to rummage sales and thrift shops and buying second hand with the specific purpose of returning them for an upgrade clearly crosses said line for me. But I guarantee companies that allow this have run the numbers and feel the warranty program benefits their bottom line in one way or another.

I may be mistaken but I think I have heard stories of Dillon helping out second hand owners with warrantying products from time to time as well.

I am sure they have definitely run the numbers and understand the cost of returns and warranty work. That those companies stay around for a ling time says something about their quality and that their liberal return policies will not bankrupt them.

I have worked for a while in engineering for a few manufacturing firms. I am glad I am not the one Okaying warranty work. It is amazing what customers try to get away with.

One of our machines was on a truck bound for Iraq with Saddam's retreating army from Kuwait after the first gulf war. A decision was made to void the warranty on that unit. Another of ours, in a shipping container, went off the side of a ship bound for China. We figured if they were able to make a salvage that that one as well would not be serviced.
hard h2o

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:00 pm

hard h2o wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote: Another of ours, in a shipping container, went off the side of a ship bound for China. We figured if they were able to make a salvage that that one as well would not be serviced.

Sounds like they should have called their insurance carrier instead of you guys. :shock:
Jack's My dog

Postby hard h2o on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 am

Jack's My dog wrote:
Sounds like they should have called their insurance carrier instead of you guys. :shock:

I am sure that is what happened. Funny how things get destroyed and salvaged in say a flood or a fire and someone tries to do a warranty claim rather than an insurance claim. Maybe it is sold to a 3rd party and they try to claim warranty repairs on a machine that went through a fire and was cleaned up. It happens.
hard h2o

Postby Ironbear on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:34 am

My sister works in the "returns" warehouse for a high end clothing store. She doesn't have to deal with the warranty side, but still... some of the stories about what people try to return. There are definitely folks out there who will order something, wear it for an evening out, then try to return it. She has had stuff that didn't match what the receipt said, and had the stickers, tags, etc. moved over. Not too long ago, I read a news story about a lady busted for buying expensive purses online and returning them in person at the store. Turns out she would buy the purse, as well as a high-quality knockoff, return the knockoff and sell the real one online.

I would hate to work the warranty side of some major retail outlet.

As far as returns, I would also thumbs up REI. I had a headlamp once that failed before the 1st set of batteries did. They replaced it, and the second one failed too the exact same way. The 2nd headlamp got tossed into a box, for several years until I happened to run across the receipt! On a whim, I took it in and they gave me store credit even after about 5 years!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby BigBlue on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:18 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:To this point and the stories I have seen about LL bean, after you brought them to my attention-I think you definitely can cross a line and be taking advantage of a a solid warranty program. The stories of people going to rummage sales and thrift shops and buying second hand with the specific purpose of returning them for an upgrade clearly crosses said line for me. But I guarantee companies that allow this have run the numbers and feel the warranty program benefits their bottom line in one way or another.

I'm not advocating the practice of specifically looking for a damaged item to buy just so you can get it warrantied with a liberal replacement policy. However, why should it be assumed that a company warranting its product not cover the product after it is sold to another owner? The product is the product and the warranty should cover it for the specified period no matter how many owners it has during that period. I KNOW that this is not often the case, but I am saying it should be. How is it any different for a car versus a blender or a computer? The car manufacturer allows the warranty to transfer to future owners. Other products should be treated the same. The second owner isn't doing anything worse than the first.

BB
BigBlue

Postby westhope on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:21 pm

My wife used to work in customer service at Cabela's. She had many stories about customer returns.

She said several times customers would return tents after a week or so. The customer specifically stated they never removed the tents from the box. When the returned items were inspected they would find grass and leaves folded up in the tents.

Cabela's would make a note on the customer file. If it happened too often, they would not honor returns from that customer.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:52 pm

BigBlue wrote:

I'm not advocating the practice of specifically looking for a damaged item to buy just so you can get it warrantied with a liberal replacement policy. However, why should it be assumed that a company warranting its product not cover the product after it is sold to another owner? The product is the product and the warranty should cover it for the specified period no matter how many owners it has during that period. I KNOW that this is not often the case, but I am saying it should be. How is it any different for a car versus a blender or a computer? The car manufacturer allows the warranty to transfer to future owners. Other products should be treated the same. The second owner isn't doing anything worse than the first.

BB

Fair point. I guess I would deffer to the fine print on the the warranty regarding transfer-ability. That said, I think might expect a bit more from Craftsman over Tool Shop, or Filson over Field and Forrest. I can definitely see this being the case with more durable products like cars and ammo presses, versus t-shirts and pants. I think one of the reasons I would go with a premium or higher end brand with a lifetime warranty is the belief, that most likely you will not need to use it.

Having a warranty honored on the secondary market, would increase the initial value to me, since in theory the passed on warranty would add value to the second owner.
Jack's My dog

Previous

Return to Reviews