Filson Warranty

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Filson Warranty

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:47 pm

I just wanted to give a positive review to Filson's warranty. My 10 year old double tin chaps had seen many miles and have been used thoroughly. Last year one of the zippers finally gave up the ghost. With no hesitation Filson agreed to replace them with a new pair. I thought that was pretty solid of them.

A Chaps.jpg
Jack's My dog

Re: Filson Warranty

Postby BigBlue on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:39 am

You been dragging those behind your car and burying them under a rock for the last 10 years?? Wow, those things are USED. Good job getting your money's worth!

BB
BigBlue

Postby photogpat on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:58 am

If I understand right - those gave you 10 years of honest use and wear - and you then turned them in for failing under warranty?

You're why no one has lifetime warranties anymore...thanks.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:22 pm

photogpat wrote:If I understand right - those gave you 10 years of honest use and wear - and you then turned them in for failing under warranty?

You're why no one has lifetime warranties anymore...thanks.

You are correct, the wear and tear and holes were honest use. The zipper was a product failure/Brass material failure. They said they won't repair zippers. I would have been happy if they put in a new zipper, and gladly paid for some patching, which was my intention when I contacted them, I probably would have paid for the zipper if it was an option. The Filson shop offered to replace it stating they could send it in to see if they shop would repair it, but it would be unlikely and they would just send me new ones anyways. I did not beg or twist arms, it was their offer and idea.

If you go to their site it states "Please note every item is subject to an evaluation by our Returns Team." They had an opportunity evaluate their product and determined the material failure was covered under their warranty and they stood by it. I was also advised they would take send my old chaps to their custom shop and use the materials to make custom bags with a "distressed look". The guy in the shop said they sell them for 3 times the normal cost, so they get a bit in return.

I have personally had to stand behind my workmanship and I have gone as far as making "repairs" to things that were not broken to make the customer happy (This is no small task when you are a mason, and you need to break out a grinder to make changes). So I know about guarantees from both sides, and what it means to stand behind them. Respectfully, I think 10 years for a material failure is with in a "Lifetime Guarantee". Filson went beyond what I was expecting, which is why I will continue to be an advocate of the brand and why I posted the review.
Jack's My dog

Postby hard h2o on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:36 pm

If they are willing to OK the exchange then I do not see the problem. I probably wouldn't have thought to try with them. I would have went local and had a zipper replaced or figured I got my money's worth and bought new.

There are a few companies that stand behind their products like that:

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2013/09/25/223787129/what-happens-when-a-store-lets-customers-return-whatever-they-want

http://www.businessinsider.com/i-tested-ll-beans-legendary-return-policy-2016-8

Costco recently tightened up their policy:

https://consumerist.com/2010/02/23/even-costcos-return-policy-has-limits/
hard h2o

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:42 pm

hard h2o wrote:If they are willing to OK the exchange then I do not see the problem. I probably wouldn't have thought to try with them. I would have went local and had a zipper replaced or figured I got my money's worth and bought new.
[/url]

I actually took them to the Repair Lair in Minneapolis, first, to see if they would do the repairs. They recommended following up with Filson before they did anything.

ETA: To be honest, I agree, I did not see these as "worn out". They just needed a few repairs, for which as noted above, I would have been willing to pay. Thguy at the Filson store told me any repair over 1/2 hour is not worth doing for them. To be fair skilled labor is expensive.

I don't like to dispose of things with life left. The last time I had my hunting boots repaired, the cobbler told me there was no more room for patches. :) I have been trying to buy products that have the option for repair-ability instead of being disposable. Many products these days don't leave you with that option.

I guess I don't see that I did anything wrong with what I did. Filson made a decision based on how their brand does customer service, how the product should perform, and what it would take for them to make repairs. As noted above, they don't bother replacing zippers.

It is nice to see LL Bean is standing behind their products. That makes me more likely to buy one of their strap game vests instead of going with another brand. Filson is in the running as well.
Last edited by Jack's My dog on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack's My dog

Postby Ghost on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 pm

I'd consider Filson due to their warranty. I wouldn't without it.
Ghost

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:10 pm

I buy Darn Tough socks for the same reason. When they get a hole (and it hasn't happened yet) I get a new pair. I don't think I'm taking advantage of the system because I'm paying two or three times what comparable socks cost.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Ghost wrote:I'd consider Filson due to their warranty. I wouldn't without it.

That's true of many companies.
Their lifetime warranty is a big part of their marketing plan.

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:21 pm

The chaps are pretty nice regardless of the cost, but they are expensive. My brother just got a pair at Joe's for the half off-winter sale. That put them in line with other brands.
Jack's My dog

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:38 pm

xd ED wrote:

Still up in the air what will happen to the Craftsman tool warranty as Sears appears to be circling the drain.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby xd ED on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:45 pm

yukonjasper wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Still up in the air what will happen to the Craftsman tool warranty as Sears appears to be circling the drain.

They-Sears- apparently sold the line to Black & Decker..
from wikipedia...

In January 2017, Stanley Black & Decker entered into an agreement to purchase the Craftsman brand. from KCD IP, LLC, a special purpose entity created by Sears Holdings for securitization purposes which also owns Sears house brands Kenmore and DieHard.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Jack's My dog on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:46 pm

xd ED wrote:

My socket set is a Craftsman, the warranty is part of the reason for sure. Not that I intend on having to use it.
Jack's My dog

Postby smurfman on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:My socket set is a Craftsman, the warranty is part of the reason for sure. Not that I intend on having to use it.

Do you mean the socket set or the warranty? :)

I don't see any problem with what you did, I have done the similar with various LL Bean products. If the company offers the warranty, then I don't see a problem with using it. In the case of Filson, the company has the option of denying it I believe.
smurfman

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:15 pm

smurfman wrote:
Jack's My dog wrote:My socket set is a Craftsman, the warranty is part of the reason for sure. Not that I intend on having to use it.

Do you mean the socket set or the warranty? :)

I would probably come out ahead not using the socket set. I have an uncanny ability to break more then I am trying to fix, which is why I am sans snowblower today. :oops:
Jack's My dog

Next

Return to Reviews