EOTech 557

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

EOTech 557

Postby FirearmFan on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:05 pm

I bought a an EOTech 557 at the spring shooters show at Bill's and took it out a couple weeks ago to test it out. I decided to do a quick review on it. First off for anyone who is looking for a red dot or holographic sight and is considering an EOTech I strongly reccomend it. This is the link to the model I got.
http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=8&cat=1

Cons:
-The biggest downside to this sight is the price tag. Even after the 10% discount going on at Bill's I still spent around $550 on this particular model.
-Obviously being new I haven't gotten a chance to test this out but compared to say an Aimpoint, the battery life is much shorter.
-A potential downside depending on what you plan to use it for is there is no magnification and it's expensive to co-witness a magnifier.
-The optic is a little bulky and heavy. (not enough to bother me though)

Pros:
-Built like a tank. It has a protective hood over the window.
-It takes AA batteries which are relatively cheap and easy to find.
-Night Vision compatible
-Can co-witness magnifiers or like previously stated night vision.
-The buttons are on the side of this model so they can still be reached if you do co-witness a magnifier.
-Easy to adjust for elevation or windage.
-Insanely quick target acquisition.
-It has a 65 moa outer circle for CQB and a 1 moa inner dot for longer shots. It also has 3 dots for a bullet drop compensator for 400m, 500m, and 600m shots. This is calibrated for .223 rounds.
-It has 30 brightness settings.
-Mounts right onto a picatinny rail without the need of a special mount.

I plan to get a 3x magnifier on a flip to side mount and a flip up BUIS as well but that's for later when I can justify the funds.

Here is a picture of the EOTech mounted on top of my Bushy.

Here's my target I put up immediately after sighting it in. The target was somewhere between 25-30 yards away (It's kinda hard to tell the exact distance at Bill's North. The ammo used was some cheap Wolf ammo I had leftover that I was trying to get get rid of. I was sitting down at a bench but I wasn't using any sandbags or a vice or anything.
FirearmFan

Re: EOTech 557

Postby Tutmos on Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:04 am

I have the lower model, 512, think it's the same other than IR reticle option for NV that you have. I love mine. I've been pouring over information between the Eotechs and Aimpoint M4s because I'm planning to pick up 1 or 2 more optics and really thought hard about having one of each brand. It seems each has its own cult following. The limited playing I did with an M4s reinforced my choice to buy another Eotech instead of getting an Aimpoint. The battery life didn't offset how much easier it is to keep both eyes open on the Eotech and how much more natural it feels looking through the bigger window, plus the lens caps don't block your field of view.

Here's a slick little item you might want to add to yours. I'm planning on ordering it for my current plus any others I buy, flip up lens covers to protect the lens instead of mucking around with those fabric covers.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=58&parents=

The thing I'm hoping to find is someone that has used the Eotech 4x magnifier that works with the holo sights and retains the full rectangular field of view. They aren't cheap, but on par with the aimpoint 3x units. It's fairly new and there doesn't seem to be much in the way or opinions from users about it.
Tutmos

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:17 am

Tutmos wrote:Here's a slick little item you might want to add to yours. I'm planning on ordering it for my current plus any others I buy, flip up lens covers to protect the lens instead of mucking around with those fabric covers.

http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=58&parents=

I have that hood on my 512 and really like it.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Lastgunshop on Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:27 am

If anyone wants one,557 EOT HOLOSIGHT W/BDC FOR 223CAL Your cost 509.95 They are nice.
Lastgunshop

Postby David on Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Tutmos wrote:I've been pouring over information between the Eotechs and Aimpoint M4s because I'm planning to pick up 1 or 2 more optics and really thought hard about having one of each brand.

I've got both (as well as a couple of ACOGs) and I've found that for short range CQB kind of stuff the EOTech really excels. If I kicked down doors for a living I wouldn't use anything else. I don't like it for anything over 200 yards though. Even at 100 the Aimpoint is a much better optic for me. Something about that outer reticle on the EOTech makes me noticeably less accurate with it. It works better if I dial down the brightness, but only if I do it to a level that reduces its speed on quick snapshots. The M4 is a great optic for both close-in stuff and longer stuff, so I think it bridges the gap nicely between the EOTech and something like an ACOG.

If you do a lot of different kinds of shooting with a carbine, I think most people are well served by having both.
David

Postby Tutmos on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:00 pm

Pretty funny story. I was just ran across a person I went to high school with online and had a few messages back and forth after it came out he was also a gun type. The Eotech vs. Aimpoint debate I had came up and I mentioned I went with Eotech because I like the big window. It turns out he works for Aimpoint. Heh. I'm waiting for him to respond back with what he does there.
Tutmos

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:23 pm

David wrote:Something about that outer reticle on the EOTech makes me noticeably less accurate with it. It works better if I dial down the brightness, but only if I do it to a level that reduces its speed on quick snapshots.

We also stock Eotechs with a "dot only" option for that very reason. 1 MOA dot with no outer rings .. 552.D1

http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=4&cat=1
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby macphisto on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:28 pm

What makes these things so damn expensive?

I'm sticking with iron sights because I'm old school (and cheap).
macphisto

Postby rtk on Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:10 pm

I purchased one of these(http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-holosight.html) I did not buy it from Optics Planet but after test driving it a few times I am impressed. It is my understanding that it is manufactured for Bushnell by Eotech and while it may not have all the bells and whistles that an Eotech has it holds zero and appears to be very sturdy. I believe that I paid around $230.00 for the one that I purchased.

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:42 pm

rtk wrote:I purchased one of these(http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-holosight.html) I did not buy it from Optics Planet but after test driving it a few times I am impressed. It is my understanding that it is manufactured for Bushnell by Eotech and while it may not have all the bells and whistles that an Eotech has it holds zero and appears to be very sturdy. I believe that I paid around $230.00 for the one that I purchased.

RTK

Correct - these are made by L-3 Communications, the parent company of Eotech. They're good optics and much cheaper because they aren't armored and waterproofed to the same degree as the HWS units.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby goalie on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 pm

macphisto wrote:What makes these things so damn expensive?

Making anything electronic that will hold up to combat use costs money. LOTS of money.

macphisto wrote:I'm sticking with iron sights because I'm old school (and cheap).

While irons are the gold standard to some, even the dinosaurs in the Corps have come to the conclusion that you can shoot more accurately faster with the optics of today.

That said, I rocked an iron sighted M14 at the zombie shoot (and destroyed the 2nd from the left 200m target, sorry to anyone who followed me, but they set it up for ARs and AKs meethinks....) and did just fine. It's just harder to do with irons.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby David on Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 am

Goalie,

You used Geoff's rifle for that stage? Wish we had been able to shoot together that day. Too many people!

Joe,

Now, when EOTech makes an optic where you can switch between two reticles (dot and ring/dot), I'll buy a dozen of them! The only optics I've seen that do that don't seem to be very sturdy or like they'd hold zero between changes.
David

Postby goalie on Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:12 pm

David wrote:Goalie,

You used Geoff's rifle for that stage?

That is too nice of a rifle to have it's shooter miss big targets at 200 meters 70% of the time in front of a large crowd, only to go home sad, dejected and feeling let down. It's a freaking M1A for pete's sake, SOMEONE had to shoot her like she deserved....

(and, yes, you can tell Geoff that I said that)
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Return to Reviews