Cabela's Rodgers Customer Service - Grade "F"

Share your reviews of firearms and related products and services.

Cabela's Rodgers Customer Service - Grade "F"

Postby Shipyard on Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:43 am

so the "prodcut" on review here is the gun counter at Cabela's Rodgers. i wanted to share my experience with everyone to see if anyone else has had the same or been treated well at the other end of the spectrum. With Sportsman's Warehouse gone it leaves only two "big box" gun counters in the area.

On a thursday afternoon at about 1pm i was browising the case and I found a handgun that i wanted to purchase. the gentlemen who completed my paperwork and called in the sale was very helpful and completed these tasks quickly. however, when my firearm was placed on the counter to be rung up, other customers were put ahead of me and i was seemingly ignored for about 20 minutes. only one register was in use. While i was waiting, twice, a sales rep approached me and asked if i required help. i said that i was waiting to purchase a firearm, at which point they promptly left me and went to service other customers at the display counter.

at this point, i decided to just stand directly in front of the cash register and see how long they could ignore soemone standing there. the answer was a full 40 minutes. at this point, an employee told another to come over and see what i was waiting for. He asked me what i was waiting for and i said something to the effect that i had been waiting for an f'ing half an hour to complete my sale. the employee instantly opened a register and within 5 minutes i was out the door with my purchase.

when i visit other gun shops in the area, i am able to complete a transaction from selection to paperwork to purchase and be out the door in no more than 20-30 minutes and they have half (or even less) the staff of a Cabelas. No explanation was given why i had to stand around waiting to be rung up for 40 minutes; nor did anyone even say sorry for the wait.

it took literally 58 minutes from the time i selected my gun to the time i walked out the door.

being sore at the shabby treatment, i wrote Cabelas Customer Service via e-mail to relay my experience. they sent me an e-mail saying sorry to hear and that they would forward the information to the manager in Rodgers so that my issue could be handled properly. it has been over 4 weeks and i have not heard one word from anyone at Cabelas.

it's one thing to be busy or have a lot going on in a day and i understand the trials of working a service job, but to not even say "sorry for the wait" or respond to a customer concern is to me just absolutely unacceptable.

I'll be taking 100% of my business elsewhere in the future.
i do what i can, where i'm needed, and i ask so little in return. i'm a true humanitarian fueled by rainbows and whiskey. you should be so lucky to know me...

Shipyard wrote:no kidding. that guy gets banned from here more than i quit this place :lol:
Shipyard

Re: Cabela's Rodgers Customer Service - Grade "F"

Postby bstrawse on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:08 am

My experience wasn't as bad as yours, but I did find them somewhat slow when I was there last month.

I purchased a handgun there last month - granted it was a bit later in the evening so they were perhaps not as busy as other times. I got quick help at the counter but seemed like the checkout process took much longer than I've seen elsewhere.

On the other hand, I purchased my LCP this week at Joe's Sporting Goods in Roseville and had a fantastic experience. I'll be going back there again in the future.

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Pat on Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:20 pm

I have both bought and sold guns at Cabelas store in Rogers. Every transaction went completely smoothly and was to my complete satisfaction. In my experience, they have always been the Nordstrom of the gun business.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Pat wrote: they have always been the Nordstrom of the gun business.

My experiances there have mimicked this sentament. In fact just returned from there a couple of minutes ago. Did not have what I was looking for in stock but that is the way of things. I guess I have found when they are busy it can be difficult to get attention and the personal service I experiance at the local gun shop is not there however I have met several very knowledgable gun guys there that I have had more than a few long discussions about this or that.

It is similar to most big box stores in that they have some poor salespeople and some that know their stuff and are really helpful. It is all about making the connect.
Holland&Holland

Postby cmj685 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:20 pm

I have had several experiences there. The first one, many years ago, was when I asked to see one handgun from the case and then handed it back and asked the guy to see a second one. He stood and looked at me and asked, "Are you going to buy one or not?"
Everytime I have ever been there the gun counter is four people deep waiting to be helped. It is useless to even wait to ask a question.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby diskdoctr on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:08 am

I have had experiences like the crappy service mentioned at Cabellas in many gun shops in the metro. The service is generally not great. If you call them on it, you do generally get an apology. In general, I think the shops in the metro have a bad attitude. I don't know why.
diskdoctr

Postby Rogelk on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:43 pm

I've done alot of business at Cabela's and in some cases I've had stellar service and in other cases I experienced the same as Shipyard. I do try to keep in mind they are a big box store trying harder than most chains...but in some cases suffer the same as other department stores. They also have a higher volume of customers than most gun shops...I've seen it where you can't even get up to the firearms counter to look at a gun. Overall, I think they do a good job...but as I stated in another post the've cut back on staff during the economic meltdown...they get alot of business but I bet the numbers aren't where they would like them to be, so the cut back...like all businesses do.
I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change.
Dan Quayle, 5/22/89

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/na ... _enough_to
Rogelk

Postby cmj685 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:11 am

It is probably fair to add to my former negative review that I recently got there at 9:00 AM on a Thursday morning and I was extremely surprised to find that I was the only customer there. I had three of the guys all willing to work with me and they had me in and out with my new carbine ( :D :D--yeah! My first long gun ever!) in about 10 minutes. So it probably is the volume of customers and the lack of staff which is the big problem.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby Pinnacle on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:16 am

Shipyard wrote:so the "prodcut" on review here is the gun counter at Cabela's Rodgers. i wanted to share my experience with everyone to see if anyone else has had the same or been treated well at the other end of the spectrum. With Sportsman's Warehouse gone it leaves only two "big box" gun counters in the area.

On a thursday afternoon at about 1pm i was browising the case and I found a handgun that i wanted to purchase. the gentlemen who completed my paperwork and called in the sale was very helpful and completed these tasks quickly. however, when my firearm was placed on the counter to be rung up, other customers were put ahead of me and i was seemingly ignored for about 20 minutes. only one register was in use. While i was waiting, twice, a sales rep approached me and asked if i required help. i said that i was waiting to purchase a firearm, at which point they promptly left me and went to service other customers at the display counter.

at this point, i decided to just stand directly in front of the cash register and see how long they could ignore soemone standing there. the answer was a full 40 minutes. at this point, an employee told another to come over and see what i was waiting for. He asked me what i was waiting for and i said something to the effect that i had been waiting for an f'ing half an hour to complete my sale. the employee instantly opened a register and within 5 minutes i was out the door with my purchase.

when i visit other gun shops in the area, i am able to complete a transaction from selection to paperwork to purchase and be out the door in no more than 20-30 minutes and they have half (or even less) the staff of a Cabelas. No explanation was given why i had to stand around waiting to be rung up for 40 minutes; nor did anyone even say sorry for the wait.

it took literally 58 minutes from the time i selected my gun to the time i walked out the door.

being sore at the shabby treatment, i wrote Cabelas Customer Service via e-mail to relay my experience. they sent me an e-mail saying sorry to hear and that they would forward the information to the manager in Rodgers so that my issue could be handled properly. it has been over 4 weeks and i have not heard one word from anyone at Cabelas.

it's one thing to be busy or have a lot going on in a day and i understand the trials of working a service job, but to not even say "sorry for the wait" or respond to a customer concern is to me just absolutely unacceptable.

I'll be taking 100% of my business elsewhere in the future.

I would call and ask to speak with the GM there and tell him about the GOOD Service that you received from the guy that did your 4473 and then things went to hell after that. I think that you will be shocked what he has to say. You might even get a little surprise
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby timwarner on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:34 pm

This is par for the course at the Rogers cabelas. I work just down the road, so I'll stop in at lunch to pick stuff up for myself, or friends. I pretty much have to plan on 30 minutes to run in, grab something, and get out.

Their reloading stuff is very often mislabeled, and priced wrong in the computer compared to the shelf.
I've also seen cases of ammo marked with 3 different price tags on the same case.
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby mitchx3 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:13 pm

While making me wait 10 minutes (timed) 3 employee's looked at me but didn't try to help me. Then the old dude behind the counter who actually 'helped' me held a case of primers out of my reach until I told him "These are the primers my recipe calls for." ********. This is why internet shopping is great, you don't have unneeded people in your interface.
mitchx3

Postby Norsesmithy on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Mitch forgot to mention that he called Cabela's Corporate to voice his displeasure, as he waited. :lol: :lol:

They couldn't do anything for him.
Norsesmithy

Postby 1911fan on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:59 pm

Only one time did I get this kind of service, and I left the counter and retrieve an MOD. who rectified the process right away. skip the after the fact reporting, seek remedies before you leave the store. Find a Manager, and let loose on them.
1911fan

Postby FJ540 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:36 am

I miss Sportsmans Warehouse.
FJ540

Postby photogpat on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:39 am

Only thing I buy from Cabelas is ammo on the way "up north".
Do I dare make a vote for the Frontiersman? I hadn't been in there in years, but ended up with a purchase from them last week. The guy who helped me (Herb) was responsive to questions, and seemed extremely eager to make the sale! Their prices were very much in line with online and cheaper than the big box (ammo too)!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Next

Return to Reviews