15-year-old son of deputy shoots burglary suspect

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: 15-year-old son of deputy shoots burglary suspect

Postby R.E.T. on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:06 pm

In this area, Texas has better laws than we do.
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby JoeH on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Remember, Joe Horn lived near there.
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby VikesFan1 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:10 pm

EJSG19 wrote:Who's the one that thinks a person should have to wait to defend themselves until somebody has set a foot inside their house?

I don't think anyone should have to wait necessarily, every situation presents it's own challenges, as I'm sure did this one. But, I do think there are laws in place discouraging such action, that we also need to be conscious of and, furthermore, that I should be able to post something encouraging such conversation. Putting words in my mouth however, is unbecoming a VoR.
Sent from my NES using up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A!

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby plblark on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm

I think he renounced that position when he realized people could use it against him just because he was making a good point ...
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby EJSG19 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:14 pm

plblark wrote:I think he renounced that position when he realized people could use it against him just because he was making a good point ...

Plus being VOR was no fun when you do make a good point, pretty much soundly whip the opposing side, and then they are still too stuborn to realize it and proceed to continue with their incorrect position.

Haven't been VOR for months. Last I heard Pat Cannon was the top nominee.

This is the internet. I can't take it as serious as a person should, while putting up with that kind of crap. More power to my successor.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby VikesFan1 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:30 pm

plblark wrote:I think he renounced that position when he realized people could use it against him just because he was making a good point ...

Ok, there's clearly a misunderstanding here. My position is this: I think know that shooting someone through your effin kitchen window is more likely to win you a trip to a courtroom than any good samaritan awards. Why? (This is where the discussion part comes in.)

EDIT: I thought you were saying that I renounced my position on something... After re-reading it now I see what you were saying.
Last edited by VikesFan1 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby plblark on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Hey, I know this game ... Change the argument to absurdity, ignoring the actual facts, and treat that as the new baseline argument.

Is it like you Hope they don't notice you Changed the argument and just move on from there? Do they issue an official playbook or something? Do you get a decoder ring or would that just confuse things?

I know the lesson of wrestling pigs. Enjoy the mud puddle.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby VikesFan1 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:48 pm

plbark, I'm not sure who you are directing your comments torward, or if knowing would help make any sense of them, but I'll play along if you can throw me a bone... :cheers: What was the original arguement?

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby hammAR on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:05 pm

VikesFan1 wrote:What was the original arguement?

No argument, it was in Tejas, end of discussion and "what-ifs"....................
time to move on, nothing to see from here, unless you can see Tejas from the Gopher....... :P
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Paul on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:07 pm

I see what you did there, Blark.

It's too bad this kid has to deal with shooting someone, but good for him for getting **** done.
Paul

Postby westberg on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I heard in Texas you get a Boy Scout Merit Badge for this type of gun handling. That's what I heard anyway haven't checked it again snopes or what ever it is.
westberg

Postby VikesFan1 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:17 pm

hammAR wrote:
VikesFan1 wrote:What was the original arguement?

No argument, it was in Tejas, end of discussion and "what-ifs"....................
time to move on, nothing to see from here, unless you can see Tejas from the Gopher....... :P

mmmm, Tejas. Well that pretty much settles it... It's mexican tonight. Thanks, I think.

user842 wrote:I see what you did there, Blark.

He didn't do anything.

A safe, fun and happy 4th everyone! :cheers:

RIP Pete aka 1911fan
VikesFan1

Postby rtk on Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:27 pm

EJSG19 wrote:Haven't been VOR for months. Last I heard Pat Cannon was the top nominee..

:shock: :roll:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby mrokern on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 am

EJSG19 wrote:

Plus being VOR was no fun when you do make a good point, pretty much soundly whip the opposing side, and then they are still too stuborn to realize it and proceed to continue with their incorrect position.

Haven't been VOR for months. Last I heard Pat Cannon was the top nominee.

This is the internet. I can't take it as serious as a person should, while putting up with that kind of crap. More power to my successor.

I thought I was in the running. :lol:

Is there a Voice of Reasonable Snarkiness? I'm a shoo-in...
Back to being just a guy.
No, not that guy. Or that other one either.
mrokern

Postby 1911fan on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:27 pm

VikesFan1 wrote:

Ok, there's clearly a misunderstanding here. My position is this: I think know that shooting someone through your effin kitchen window is more likely to win you a trip to a courtroom than any good samaritan awards. Why? (This is where the discussion part comes in.)

EDIT: I thought you were saying that I renounced my position on something... After re-reading it now I see what you were saying.

Breaking a window and putting your arm thru to open the door or window the rest of the way is pretty clear intent of entering. The State of Texas will let you shoot someone for breaking into your car after dark, relating it back to the pioneer and cowboy days when a horse was far more than an animal, but tractor, transportation and escape methods. Cars there are viewed as the same today. The Kid did good, plain and simple.
1911fan

PreviousNext

Return to In The News