EPA and Lead Ammo Round 2

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

EPA and Lead Ammo Round 2

Postby photogpat on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm

Not content with the EPA's refusal to ban lead in ammo and fishing tackle -- project gutpile tried again...this time they're suing! :roll: :roll:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... TE=DEFAULT

NSSF has also issued a statement

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/gene ... id=5844054
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: EPA and Lead Ammo Round 2

Postby ex-LT on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 pm

The lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court by the Center for Biological Diversity, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and the hunters group Project Gutpile. It comes after the EPA denied their petition to ban lead ammunition and lead fishing tackle, which the groups say kills 10 million to 20 million birds and other animals a year by lead poisoning.

Call me a skeptic, but I would think that if wildlife mortality rates were that high, we'd have other issues to worry about, like maybe extinction of certain species. There HAS to be ulterior motive at play here. IIRC, the CBD is strongly anti-hunting, and it wouldn't surprise me if PEER is, either.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby Heffay on Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 pm

MNNavy wrote:kills 10 million to 20 million birds and other animals a year by lead poisoning

Many birds and deer die from lead poisoning each hunting season. It's undisputed. There are entire threads on this forum dedicated to honoring these fallen heroes of our dinner plates.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby hammAR on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Heffay wrote:
MNNavy wrote:kills 10 million to 20 million birds and other animals a year by lead poisoning

Many birds and deer die from lead poisoning each hunting season. It's undisputed. There are entire threads on this forum dedicated to honoring these fallen heroes of our dinner plates.

Guess it depends on whether you count it as ingested or injected................... :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby photogpat on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey, I made it a point to poison several grouse, ducks, at least a dozen squirrels and a deer...I wonder if thats include mandatory jail time!
photogpat

Postby Heffay on Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:56 pm

photogpat wrote:at least a dozen squirrels

They good eating?
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby MNBlackjack on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:26 pm

My shepherd/husky thinks so. Her problem is catching them before they get into the tree. Here she is dreaming about finally getting one. :D
FFL
NRA - Lifetime Member
NSSF
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
- Ayn Rand
MNBlackjack

Postby photogpat on Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:32 am

Squirrels aren't bad in chili or gumbo! Especially if the kids/wife don't know what it is! :)
photogpat

Postby FJ540 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:53 am

I put an arrow through a squirrel at 25yds Sunday. It died slower than had I used lead, like the one I shot Friday. So it's actually nicer to the tree rats to use lead, but city rulers don't seem to see it that way. :?
FJ540

Postby Heffay on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:20 am

I know we're all about using lead for bullets and everything, but... *is* there an environmental issue from using it? I don't know any details or studies about lead shot, other than you can't use it for waterfowl hunting. Can it leech into the water supply?

Lead is definitely *not* something you want your kids to be drinking. How soluble is it in water? Is there a problem?
Heffay

Postby hammAR on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:35 am

FJ540 wrote:I put an arrow through a squirrel at 25yds Sunday. It died slower than had I used lead, like the one I shot Friday. So it's actually nicer to the tree rats to use lead, but city rulers don't seem to see it that way. :?

Look at the upside of effort and time savings............
when you stick them with an arrow then it is straight on to the grill, simply add potato and wrap in bacon... ;)
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby FJ540 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Probably not good for the epoxy in the carbon arrows to be heated up, and besides - don't you gut them first? :lol:
FJ540

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Heffay wrote:I know we're all about using lead for bullets and everything, but... *is* there an environmental issue from using it? I don't know any details or studies about lead shot, other than you can't use it for waterfowl hunting. Can it leech into the water supply?

Lead is definitely *not* something you want your kids to be drinking. How soluble is it in water? Is there a problem?

The University of Virginia, or maybe it was Virginia Tech did a study for the US Forest Service several years ago. They found lead will contaminate the soil around it but it doesn't migrate very far, (centimeters).

I don't know if this is the same study but it comes to the same conclusions.
http://noflac.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/final-report.pdf
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Rem700 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:05 am

Where does lead come from?
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:58 am

Rem700 wrote:Where does lead come from?

Probably not from wetlands. The same argument could be used to say it's ok to dump petroleum wherever you want. Note that I'm not in favor of banning lead, I'm just pointing out the flaw in that argument.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Next

Return to In The News