Amazing: MN made XM25

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Amazing: MN made XM25

Postby Nemo on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:51 pm

This is worth reading. Amazing new weapon. Minnesota made. Sorry if you already knew it:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/11/ ... test=faces
Nemo

Re: Amazing: MN made XM25

Postby XD/Dale on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:56 pm

I don't know if it's been posted before, but thats pretty cool.
I predict future happiness for
Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the
pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson
XD/Dale

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:03 pm

ATK is not exactly Minnesota based, but when you have facilities int 24 of 51 States who's counting.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby Norsesmithy on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:05 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:ATK is not exactly Minnesota based, but when you have facilities int 24 of 51 States who's counting.

True, but the XM-25 program is largely a product of their Minnesota facilities.
Norsesmithy

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Norsesmithy wrote:True, but the XM-25 program is largely a product of their Minnesota facilities.

Maybe the optics(Brashear out of Pittsburgh) and round technology... It's all spread around just like the FCS.
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby BC98 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:39 pm

ATK is headquartered in MN so I would consider them MN-based. Also, the gun is built by HK. ATK builds the rounds.
BC98

Postby gyrfalcon on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:52 pm

BC98 wrote:ATK is headquartered in MN so I would consider them MN-based...

True, then again I've worked for companies that had 30 people at their HQ, and 2000 folks in a different state. I know that's not true for ATK, but I wouldn't consider the XM-25 a "Minnesota" product.
gyrfalcon

Postby JJ on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:54 am

gyrfalcon wrote:
BC98 wrote:ATK is headquartered in MN so I would consider them MN-based...

True, then again I've worked for companies that had 30 people at their HQ, and 2000 folks in a different state. I know that's not true for ATK, but I wouldn't consider the XM-25 a "Minnesota" product.

Well thank you so much for letting us know that you disagree, it has brought so much to the conversation :roll:
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Heffay on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:20 am

It's probably a typical military program, with aspects being produced in many states to ensure the broadest support across congress as possible. Although with such a small program (relatively), that may be not as true as other weapons programs.

I think we can *all* agree it's cool as hell, although the news article was heavy in rhetoric and marketing terms ("game changer"). So I'd like to ask the ground pounders in the group: Assuming this works like a 40mm grenade that you can detonate right over a wall within 5 seconds as advertised... how much of a game changer is this? It makes sense tactically in my mind, but I'm more Tomahawk oriented and there's a huge difference there. ;)
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby JJ on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:29 am

ATK is headquarters is here in MN. The "Proving Grounds" is here in MN up by Elk River. A large amount of "Medium Caliber" operations are here in MN. Space systems is here. Federal Cartridge is here. I think its safe to say a large percentage of ATK is a MN company.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Heffay on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 am

JJH wrote:ATK is headquarters is here in MN. The "Proving Grounds" is here in MN up by Elk River. A large amount of "Medium Caliber" operations are here in MN. Space systems is here. Federal Cartridge is here. I think its safe to say a large percentage of ATK is a MN company.

Oh, I was referring to just the purty little gun originally linked. Don't they make the 5" guns on most of the Navy ships too? VLS launchers? It's surprising how much weaponry Minnesota puts out to sea!
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:43 pm

JJH wrote:ATK is headquarters is here in MN. The "Proving Grounds" is here in MN up by Elk River. A large amount of "Medium Caliber" operations are here in MN. Space systems is here. Federal Cartridge is here. I think its safe to say a large percentage of ATK is a MN company.

Yeah and they have nothing in any other state, especially Utah... My point wasn't about ATK but rather the XM-25. I'll go load up some rounds with my Minnesota made Alliant Bludedot powder now, and wear my Minnesota proudly made 3M face mask when I'm sifting out brass.

Heffay wrote:It's probably a typical military program, with aspects being produced in many states to ensure the broadest support across congress as possible. Although with such a small program (relatively), that may be not as true as other weapons programs..

+1
gyrfalcon

Postby BC98 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:04 pm

Most of Medium Caliber is actually in AZ. Only the ammunition engineers are still here. Space systems is not in MN, though (CA or UT) but Advanced Weapons is in MN. Just clarifying.
BC98

Postby Flip on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 am

I'm guessing the rounds are $$$ but that'd be S-W-E-E-T for prairie dogs.

Phil
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby Bulldawg on Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:21 pm

gyrfalcon wrote:but when you have facilities int 24 of 51 States who's counting.

Yeah...who is counting? How many states are there? ;)
Bulldawg

Next

Return to In The News