Doctors *can* ask if you have guns in the house

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Doctors *can* ask if you have guns in the house

Postby crbutler on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:55 pm

I am a FP physician.

It is tabulated and they see the progress note so they can verify if you completed the required elements for that level of billing. Whether the particular provider actually tabulates what questions they ask or just document that "safety screening performed" is an individual decision, although if they don't specifically list what was reviewed they may get gigged for "inadequate documentation" and not be compensated for it. A lot of this is medicolegal- if you don't say that someone should lock their guns up, its not beyond the realm of possibility to get sued that you didn't cover this when someone has a bad outcome... Now I highly doubt that the lawsuit would win, but people do it over similarly asinine issues, and if its documented, the plaintiff's attorney will drop the case rather than go to court in the hope that the insurance company will hand over a amount of money that will cost less than defending the case would cost.

I'm not sure how much the insurance companies actually retain, but they do get essentially all the information that the doctor documented to ascertain that there is no "fraud" going on. They DO retain the diagnosis codes, and this can come back to impact you when you buy insurance.

You would be surprised how much mickey mouse back and forth goes on in the business office of any practice.

As I'm sure you know, once something is in electronic format and sent somewhere, it never truly is destroyed.
crbutler

Postby tman on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:35 am

Northern Gal wrote:I'm sure you're all going to blast me for this, however, as a parent, I see absolutely nothing wrong with a pediatrician asking if there are guns in the house, and whether they are kept secure from the kids, any more than I would take issue with the pediatrician reminding me that my child should always wear a helmet when riding his bike. Kids rely on the adults in their lives to make sure they are safe, and it is a pediatrician's responsibility to look out for the total care and safety of each child that is his/her patient. In the ideal world, we wouldn't have to deal with parents who are complete idiots and should never have reproduced; but in the real world, that isn't the case, and for some of these kids, the pediatrician is the only responsible adult these children see until they start school.

... They are only asking questions to determine that you are responsible and are making sure that your child is living in a safe environment. Again, I see no problem with that.

As a parent, it is MY responsibility to keep my kids safe and healthy. Bringing them to the doctor is part of that. His / her job is to diagnose and treat my child. NOT to probe for "safety" issues.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby goett047 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 am

Can I get an AMEN for Tman!
goett047

Postby traveler on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Since the 1930's we have progressively (no pun intended) increased the size of the chattel segment of our society. These vassals breed ever larger numbers, and require that the larger segments of society provide food, shelter, and other necessities. This dependent group requires teachers and doctors to provide basic parenting for their offspring. This is where the actions become intrusive. For those that require the government to be their "master", these questions might have a bit of legitimacy. Those that provide sound parenting, who remain employed and stable, get caught up in the nonsense of the state monitoring body mass of juveniles and counting those that have firearms in their households.

The welfare state, and welfare state attitude, will continue to grow unless stopped. I remember during the 1970's a cartoon strip published in the National Lampoon showing children turning their parents into their teachers for being smokers. It appears to be have been prescient. Government is becoming that intrusive, and worse.
Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
traveler

Postby gman1868 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 pm

My answer?

Nonya
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby nyffman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Heffay wrote:
There is something to the argument that when an authority figure asks you a question, there is a certain compulsion to answer it whether or not it is in your best interest.

Is a doctor really an authority figure to you? I always just thought of them as a doctor. Maybe a caregiver. If a body part or system doesn't seem to be working properly and I think they have the training, knowledge and expertise to help with that, I go to them. This isn't dissimilar to the services of a plumber or appliance repairman. I don't consider any of them to be authority figures and would expect them to respect my privacy on any issue that doesn't relate directly to the service I'm asking them to perform.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby goalie on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:00 pm

nyffman wrote:
Heffay wrote:
There is something to the argument that when an authority figure asks you a question, there is a certain compulsion to answer it whether or not it is in your best interest.

Is a doctor really an authority figure to you? I always just thought of them as a doctor. Maybe a caregiver. If a body part or system doesn't seem to be working properly and I think they have the training, knowledge and expertise to help with that, I go to them. This isn't dissimilar to the services of a plumber or appliance repairman. I don't consider any of them to be authority figures and would expect them to respect my privacy on any issue that doesn't relate directly to the service I'm asking them to perform.

You are the exception, not the rule. I see WAAAAAY too many people taking what an MD says as gospel just because they are an MD. Second opinions are often your friend.....
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby nyffman on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm not saying they don't speak with authority on subjects in which they have a high level of training. I simply interpreted Heffay's comment as inferring a different type or level of authority that does not apply. As far as an individual taking the word of an MD as gospel? That would be up to that individual. They would be the one reaping the benefit or consequence of that.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby goett047 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:52 pm

goalie wrote:You are the exception, not the rule. I see WAAAAAY too many people taking what an MD says as gospel just because they are an MD. Second opinions are often your friend.....

Amen! (pun intended)
goett047

Previous

Return to In The News