Forest Lake event canceled; too political

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Forest Lake event canceled; too political

Postby justaguy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:19 am

http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html

Forest Lake High's principal said the decision was spurred by concerns that the presentation was more political than educational.

By ALLIE SHAH , Star Tribune

Last update: March 24, 2008 - 9:50 PM

Pete Hegseth

A national tour featuring decorated veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan won't be stopping at Forest Lake Area High School today as planned, after school leaders abruptly canceled the visit.

Steve Massey, the school principal, said the decision to cancel was prompted by concerns that the event was becoming political rather than educational and therefore was not suitable for a public school.

He said the school had received several phone calls from parents and others, some of whom indicated that they may stage a protest if the event took place.

"The event was structured to be an academic classroom discussion around military service. We thought we'd provide an opportunity for kids to learn about service in the context of our history classes," Massey said. "As the day progressed, it became clear that this was becoming a political event ... which would be inappropriate in a public setting.

"We decided to cancel," Massey said. Organizers of the National Heroes Tour then scrambled to relocate the event to the American Legion building in Forest Lake. The visit, which U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Stillwater, had been scheduled to attend, is sponsored by Vets for Freedom, a national organization run by Pete Hegseth, a 1999 graduate of Forest Lake Area High School who served with the 101st Airborne in Iraq in 2005-06.

"I think it's extremely unfortunate that a school would bow to the political pressure of outside groups and not bring in a veterans organization," Hegseth said. "Are we saying that patriotism and duty and honor have no place in our public schools?" So far, the tour has visited one school, albeit a private school.

The stop in Forest Lake was supposed to involve about 150 social studies students and was going to be closed to the public but open to the media. But the last-minute venue change left Hegseth wondering how many people would actually show up today.

"I don't know if we'll have a crowd," he said. "We changed venues, but we don't have the ability to publicize it." He said he had talked with school officials ahead of time and assured them that the presenters would not make any political statements.

"We had a number of conversations at the beginning of this to make sure our message was in keeping with the traditions of a public school," Hegseth said.

"We have not endorsed a presidential candidate. We're not in the business of doing that." According to the Veterans for Freedom website, the national tour "is about supporting our troops, honoring their commitment and rallying the country to complete the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

At this critical juncture in our country, we need Americans, lawmakers and the media to fully recognize -- and appreciate -- the sacrifice of our brave military and the dramatic success they have achieved, especially in Iraq with the new counterinsurgency strategy."

When asked whether the part about "rallying the country to complete the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan" could indeed be construed as political, Hegseth said that the group agreed not to advocate about the "progress made in Iraq and Afghanistan."

"It's Iraq and Afghan veterans talking about what they saw and what they did there, and about what it means to put on the uniform of your country," he said. The veterans started their bus tour in San Diego on March 14 and will end April 9 in New York City.
Allie Shah • 651-298-1550
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Re: Forest Lake event canceled; too political

Postby ttousi on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:48 am

bunch of weinies :evil: ....................the very freedoms they enjoy were ensured by these vets.

Students would be better off with this type of exposure rather than some of the crap they get. :(
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby justaguy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:55 am

There is a poll now. http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html

Instant poll: Should the military be allowed to tell its story in public schools?

# of votes % of votes
Yes 186 80.8 %
No 44 19.1 %
Total Votes 230

Editor's note: Instant polls are intended as entertainment. They are not considered to be true measurements of public opinion.
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby ttousi on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:30 am

now 91.8 y to 8.2 no.

Again it just shows that the squeaky wheel (in this case the wienies) gets the attention/action
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby TC95GT on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:12 am

Unreal. If you don't want your kid to attend then simply keep them home that day or have them sit in another room and read a book.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby R.E.T. on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:21 am

Now 93.5% yes, 6.4% no. Who does the school go with?
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby nyffman on Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:48 am

Instant poll: Should the military be allowed to tell its story in public schools?

# of votes % of votes
Yes 4757 93.9 %
No 305 6.0 %
Total Votes 5062

very entertaining :evil:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby GregM on Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:55 pm

I can't decide who deserves more scorn: the miserable little creeps who squawked, or the principal who caved in to them.

I also can't believe the school has never had any speaker whose presentation could be considered a "poltical event."

And I'm thankful to the Strib for taking that poll. I wonder whether the editors got the response they were expecting ... ?
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby hammAR on Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:34 pm

PRINCIPAL:
Steve Massey
651-982-8401
smassey@forestlake.k12.mn.us

This article and information has "apparently" been posted on 6-7 Marine and Military sites.............. :?
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby rtk on Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:36 pm

# of votes % of votes
Yes 13493 94.5 %
No 784 5.4 %
Total Votes 14277

I think that the tribe has spoken!

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:56 pm

Great, our schools won't let war heros, who upheld our freedoms, talk to our kids. But god forbid, they tell the drug addits, alternative lifestyle or criminal bunch, that they can't present their views.

We live in a very screwed up world. We have got to stop these liberals from shaping our kids into a bunch of communial thinking idoits.

I say let the vets talk, leave it up to each parent if their kid go. Heck, I'd drive my kids to the program if it was within a reasonable distance and open to the public.
mmcnx2

Postby justaguy on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:39 am

“Apparently” the high school received a lot of calls some from out of state supporting the troops. I hope people will pay attention to this and quite being disrespectful of those who serve our country. People need to start standing up for themselves and what is right regardless of what others think.

http://www.startribune.com/local/east/16995346.html
WWTNSTKBLD
justaguy

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:10 am

I think that what happened in Forest Lake is shameful to say the least and I am not one for students protesting anything

But this is one of the cases where I make a HUGE exception to Students protesting the BAd decision made by the Administration of the school.

I think that this is a Ray of Hope.

G-D Bless America
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby westberg on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:50 am

Since I live in the Forest Lake school district, I sent Mr. Massey an email about with I thought of his cowardly act and said based on his decision he must not have served in the Armed Services. I have not received a reply from him as of yet. I also found out last night that our son Luke is best friends of Mr. Massey son in grade school. I would encourage you to take the time if you haven't yet to email or call this coward.
westberg

Postby ttousi on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 am

e-mail ? PM it to me if you would.
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

ttousi

Next

Return to In The News