George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby tazdevil on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 am

jshuberg wrote:A buddy and I were discussing this over lunch, and something occurred to us.

If Zimmerman isn't prosecuted, or is and found not guilty, It's unlikely that they will attempt to bring any federal charges against him. The reason is that the Obama Administration is going to want to take advantage of, and to even fan the flames of the anger to motivate a greater turn out at the polls of his base. If Zimmerman is charged, then the passion and need for outrage diminishes.

Also, the Obama administration got caught with their pants down trying to twist the illegal immigration issue into an argument to justify additional gun control. They will undoubtedly do the same here. We should plan for an assault on our rights from Eric Holder, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, etc attempting to redirect the anger and outrage the media created over racism, towards the need for tougher gun control laws. After all, stricter gun control laws are needed to prevent racist carry holder thugs from killing any more children without cause, right??

Just a guess on how this might play out, but I think it's likely they'll try.

I would hope they don't go that route, using this to try to get a advantage in Nov. There's enough anger to start something that would be uncontrollable and disastrous. For now, at least things seem to be on a calmer note, but the decision from the prosecutors hasn't arrived yet.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby TTS on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:13 am

Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:35 am

Now this is going to take an interesting complexion.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

George Zimmerman - Florida Unarmed Teen Shooting

Postby whiteox on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:34 am

I gotta think this means they're charging him. I don't see Zimmerman getting a pass on the grand jury and not facing charges.
whiteox

Postby tman on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 am

whiteox wrote:I gotta think this means they're charging him. I don't see Zimmerman getting a pass on the grand jury and not facing charges.

According to the CBS story, the State's Attorney is known for NOT using grand juries if it's not required. Non story.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby Comet on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:27 pm

afabbrini wrote:
photogpat wrote:
Heffay wrote:We need to police our own. We should be yelling about how this guy screwed up on many levels louder than the antis.

It's ok to admit when someone makes a mistake. It doesn't make your cause unjust. And it adds a level of personal commitment that you take your responsibilities seriously.

Once we have all the facts. Right?

One fact seems pretty clear. If the person with the weapon would have used his head this would have never happened. If you're carrying a weapon, don't create a situation and then claim defense to get yourself out of it.

AMEN, Afab...
Comet

Postby gyrfalcon on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 am

Comet wrote:
afabbrini wrote:One fact seems pretty clear. If the person with the weapon would have used his head this would have never happened. If you're carrying a weapon, don't create a situation and then claim defense to get yourself out of it.

AMEN, Afab...

That fact is far from clear, hindsight is 20/20. If Zimmerman didn't have a weapon he may have ended up being killed or severely injured that night. If he hadn't taken it upon himself to confront the person he thought was suspicious perhaps a burglar, vandalist or murderer may have gotten away and continued to cause untold damages to society. Perhaps the police department would be taking the heat when they confronted Trayvon and ended up killed him as Zimmerman did. Perhaps Trayvon would have turned out to be a brilliant scientist who cured the world of cancer, or a killer who beat and strangled women... It's all speculation and assumptions.

Perhaps it was Trayvon Martin who created the situation and didn't use his head?
"The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
gyrfalcon

Postby jshuberg on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:50 am

People can and will go round and round as to whether his actions were a good idea or not. Either way though, it has no legal bearing on whether or not the shooting was justified. A person needs to be a reluctant participant to the violence, not to the entire encounter. As long as his actions leading up to the violence were legal, he still has the legal right to defend himself. Acting stupidly and finding yourself in a situation you shouldn't have gotten yourself into does *not* make you a willing party to the violence, and so a claim of self defense can still be made.

Presuming Zimmerman did not initiate the violence, and that the violence was of a nature that he reasonably feared great bodily harm or death, then he was justified in shooting Martin in order to stop the threat. Everything else in this case is just theater.

Whether the prosecutor and jury follow the law, rather than emotion or media sensationalism is another matter.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby fabb600 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 am

Totally agree. That last paragraph is the reason for the passive approach I will try to follow.
fabb600

Postby timwarner on Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:59 pm

So if this guy did so much wrong, murdering this baby faced innocent little boy after fighting with him...

Why has the special prosecutor(or whatever the title is), that was sent in by feds, not found anything after almost a month?
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Heffay on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:01 pm

timwarner wrote:Why has the special prosecutor(or whatever the title is), that was sent in by feds, not found anything after almost a month?

He hasn't found anything? Is that a fact? I didn't know that.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby timwarner on Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:48 pm

Heffay wrote:
timwarner wrote:Why has the special prosecutor(or whatever the title is), that was sent in by feds, not found anything after almost a month?

He hasn't found anything? Is that a fact? I didn't know that.

Could be a fact, could not be. But you'd think he would have been arrested already, if they found a reason.

But really, these days... Who cares about the facts?
Tim
USPSA club MN07
http://ipsc.krok.us
timwarner

Postby Heffay on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:12 pm

timwarner wrote:Could be a fact, could not be. But you'd think he would have been arrested already, if they found a reason.

One would think that. It makes sense.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Lunchbox on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:39 pm

timwarner wrote:So if this guy did so much wrong, murdering this baby faced innocent little boy after fighting with him...

Why has the special prosecutor(or whatever the title is), that was sent in by feds, not found anything after almost a month?

With the way the press has been going apes*** over everything else in the case do you think they would release it if they found anything?
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby Comet on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Zimmerman's attorneys state that Zimmerman hasn't had contact with them and won't represent him.
Comet

PreviousNext

Return to In The News