Plymouth Gun Range Closed

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Plymouth Gun Range Closed

Postby northerner1 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:56 am

From the Article:
Plymouth city leaders suddenly shut down their police shooting range last week, upsetting residents and volunteer firearms safety instructors who planned to use the range next month to train kids to shoot.

They say the abrupt closing was directed at them because they initiated legislation for a new state law that requires publicly funded ranges to open for youth gun training -- a law that Plymouth leaders had opposed.

City leaders counter that the basement shooting range has mold problems and outdated equipment and needs costly renovations. Shutting it down now will save taxpayers money, they say.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/163364196.html
northerner1

Re: Plymouth Gun Range Closed

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:25 am

Interesting story. That kind of backfired on the guy that pushed the law through. Now the kids and police are out of a range. So now what are the police going to do?? I would imagine lease or rent range time at another facility, when they already have a range. Nice, way to go MN...
Sigfan220

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:41 am

Sigfan220 wrote:Interesting story. That kind of backfired on the guy that pushed the law through. Now the kids and police are out of a range. So now what are the police going to do?? I would imagine lease or rent range time at another facility, when they already have a range. Nice, way to go MN...

I'm sorry, I did not realize that the Plymouth Police had pooled their money and purchased a privite facility to practice. Oh, wait, you mean that public dollars were spent on it?

Here is a better scinerio, elect new city council members who will repair and maintain the range, and reopen it to the public, then mandate that the Plymouth PD use this and only this range, since they have been using public funds at this point to practice at other ranges seem that thier budget can be reduced by that amount to help off set the renovation costs.

:hmm: Too bad I am a few miles outside of Plymouth, I could see my campaign now :P
Holland&Holland

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:12 pm

It is not cost effective for each police department to offer public shooting since they recive public $$. I would imagine that most of the indoor police ranges are run down or are not set up to handle youth classes. They were built for the police not hosting youth classes. There are plenty of outdoor ranges that would be more than willing to take youth classes. I took mine at Gander and we shot at Oakdale. I do not see a problem with this situation. I do see a problem with one pissed off instructor casing probelms for law enforcement. They have other things to worry about like saving lives.

If the state is so concerned with the amount of ranges open for youth classes why don't they open more public ranges? It seams this would be a better option than monkey around with using dedicated police ranges.
Sigfan220

Postby 911scanner on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:51 pm

- It's paid for by the public.
-State law has been mandated.
-Opening it up for 4 days per year does not increase the total costs of operation significantly.

It's a BS move, plain and simple. Another way the city folks have figured out a way to ignore the law. I love politics and public servants. Too bad I live in the fine city mentioned.
911scanner

Postby ex-LT on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:If the state is so concerned with the amount of ranges open for youth classes why don't they open more public ranges? It seams this would be a better option than monkey around with using dedicated police ranges.

They're working on it. There's one in the works at Carlos Avery State WMA, another one that has been proposed on private land in Inver Grove Heights, and IIRC, the DNR is also considering one in Ft. Snelling State Park.

The caveat here is that these areas will only be open for the shooting qualifications for DNR Firearms Safety classes.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby xd ED on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:16 pm

ex-LT wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:If the state is so concerned with the amount of ranges open for youth classes why don't they open more public ranges? It seams this would be a better option than monkey around with using dedicated police ranges.

They're working on it. There's one in the works at Carlos Avery State WMA, another one that has been proposed on private land in Inver Grove Heights, and IIRC, the DNR is also considering one in Ft. Snelling State Park.

The caveat here is that these areas will only be open for the shooting qualifications for DNR Firearms Safety classes.

Only thing I've heard about the Ft Snelling range(an existing MIL/LE pistol range) is the controversy over the fact that it will expand to cover EOD training on park property.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:It is not cost effective for each police department to offer public shooting since they recive public $$. I would imagine that most of the indoor police ranges are run down or are not set up to handle youth classes. They were built for the police not hosting youth classes. There are plenty of outdoor ranges that would be more than willing to take youth classes. I took mine at Gander and we shot at Oakdale. I do not see a problem with this situation. I do see a problem with one pissed off instructor casing probelms for law enforcement. They have other things to worry about like saving lives.

If the state is so concerned with the amount of ranges open for youth classes why don't they open more public ranges? It seams this would be a better option than monkey around with using dedicated police ranges.

OK, I am trying not to be picky here, but I can not help myself. The police department does not "receive public dollars". They are public employees. An independent not for profit group may "receive public dollars" the police are the public and they do not own any ranges, period. The people of a municipality may own one for police use. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Holland&Holland

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:45 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:It is not cost effective for each police department to offer public shooting since they recive public $$. I would imagine that most of the indoor police ranges are run down or are not set up to handle youth classes. They were built for the police not hosting youth classes. There are plenty of outdoor ranges that would be more than willing to take youth classes. I took mine at Gander and we shot at Oakdale. I do not see a problem with this situation. I do see a problem with one pissed off instructor casing probelms for law enforcement. They have other things to worry about like saving lives.

OK, I am trying not to be picky here, but I can not help myself. The police department does not "receive public dollars". They are public employees. An independent not for profit group may "receive public dollars" the police are the public and they do not own any ranges, period. The people of a municipality may own one for police use. Just a pet peeve of mine.

So let's start having car washes at the Fire Department and Girl Scout baking classes at state run prisons using the caffeteria. I also think since the police and state patrol get state funding for vehicles that squad cars should be used for driver education. It's not like they need them all the time. Think of all the fun stuff we could do using state run facilities that are not intended for public use. Maybe MNDOT could provide driveway resurfacing for residents, it is our tax money after all.

Tax $$ does not = public use, period. It never has and never will. Why don't you try and swing up to camp Ripley and use the range some day. You know our fereral tax dollars built it. Just tell the guy at the gate you helped pay for the range and would like to use it. I am sure he would understand.
Sigfan220

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:05 am

Sigfan220 wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

So let's start having car washes at the Fire Department and Girl Scout baking classes at state run prisons using the caffeteria. I also think since the police and state patrol get state funding for vehicles that squad cars should be used for driver education. It's not like they need them all the time. Think of all the fun stuff we could do using state run facilities that are not intended for public use. Maybe MNDOT could provide driveway resurfacing for residents, it is our tax money after all.

Tax $$ does not = public use, period. It never has and never will. Why don't you try and swing up to camp Ripley and use the range some day. You know our fereral tax dollars built it. Just tell the guy at the gate you helped pay for the range and would like to use it. I am sure he would understand.

If my elected officials pass a law authorizing my use of it then he better damn well do so, period. Just because you do not like a law does not mean you can ignore it.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News