Feinstein's Take on a "New" AWB

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby JK-linux on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Summary, trying to plug the "loopholes" from 1994 and she want's your AR-15 (and other scary stuff) to be NFA registered.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/ ... lt-weapons

Sorry if this is a repost...

Summary:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
JK-linux

Re: Feinstein's Take on a "New" AWB

Postby sigsauersauce on Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:04 pm

She forgot to add the requsite blood/spinal fluid/semen sample requirement!

In all seriousness this is just stupid. At least now that there's real proposed legislation out there I have something specific to write my congressional and senate reps about.
"I ought never to act except in such a way that I could also will that my maxim should become a universal law."
sigsauersauce

Postby jshuberg on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Fantastic! There's absolutely no way that will pass!!
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby TTS on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

JK-linux wrote:Summary, trying to plug the "loopholes" from 1994 and she want's your AR-15 (and other scary stuff) to be NFA registered.

Sorry if this is a repost...

Summary:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Complete and utter BS, if the R's let this pass I will vow to vote for Libertarians for eternity. :evil:
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby 45Badger on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Sent this to my senators-

Senator XXX,

I am writing to express my specific and unwavering opposition to all of the themes and ideas in Senator Feinstein's proposed legislation noted here-

In addition to my opposition to the restrictions she is proposing, I find her use of terms such as "legitimate hunter" to be condescending and arrogant. They are factually incorrect and speak to her lack of knowledge on the subject.

I am a 50 year old father of two. I am a gun owner, hunter, and competitive shooter. I am an NRA certified instructor and hold a MN permit to carry. My family owns and shoots (for hunting, fun, competition, and self-defense) many guns, including handguns and AR15s with standard capacity magazines. We are responsible gun owners and users and our guns are a threat to no one.

I request that you not support "feel good" legislation that will not make an impact on crime. I have done nothing to warrant restrictions on the type of gun or magazine I own and use for lawful purposes. Please don't support punishing me and the millions of responsible gun owners in Minnesota and the United States for the acts of a few crazed individuals.

Like most Americans, I was heartbroken by the murders in Connecticut. I would happily get rid of all of my guns if it would bring one of those children back. But it won't. And it won't prevent future crazy, angry, criminal or damaged people from doing evil things. The only people who pay attention to gun laws are the "good guys" like me and most gun owners. We're not out robbing stores and banks, dealing drugs, stealing cars, or murdering people. We're working, providing for our families, putting our kids through school and being good citizens. Committing a misdemeanor or felony is not in our playbook. On the other hand, those who are willing to rob, murder or rape are not really afraid of a minor arrest for "gun crime".

Thanks for your time in thinking through this very emotional issue. Please let the facts and a commitment to individual freedom guide your heart and votes on this subject. There's more than enough pontificating in Washington, so please be a voice for reason and not another Senator chasing a soundbite about "doing something".

Respectfully,

me
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby arizona98tj on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Nicely worded.....very well done.
arizona98tj

Postby bensdad on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Badger,
Can I steal a couple chunks of that?
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby bstrawse on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Wow, this is some pretty onerous legislation. Feels like a major overreach to me on their part. I can't see this passing.

That said, we are going to have to fight this hard to make sure it doesn't pass.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Geezer43 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:24 pm

The anti-gunners were yelling about the cost of having thousands of properly trained armed security guards for school protection, yet they seem to embrace funding the ATF cost of implementing this Bill, plus the extra costs of background checks, identification/fingerprint processing, and local LE identification certification.
Just another example of their lack of common sense.
I would like to suggest to Feinstein that she and Bloomberg should foot the bill for something like this.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Re: Feinstein's Take on a

Postby JustPlainT on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:01 am

jshuberg wrote:Fantastic! There's absolutely no way that will pass!!

Never say never.

I'm afraid this could pass. Especially if the GOP is given some sort of bone in trade for their support.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby xd ED on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:17 am

This is their starting point in the negotiation.
If they ....come to the table....negotiate in good faith.....reach a compromise for the safety of the children......and drop 1/3 of the BS, it still is worthless and troubling legislation
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Geezer43 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 am

xd ED wrote:This is their starting point in the negotiation.
If they ....come to the table....negotiate in good faith.....reach a compromise for the safety of the children......and drop 1/3 of the BS, it still is worthless and troubling legislation

Exactly.
"Thank God for guns, huh Jerry?" -- William Shatner on Boston Legal
"I'm a Politician, which means that I'm a cheat and a liar. When I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops." -- Red October
Geezer43

Postby usnret on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:43 am

Geezer43 wrote:The anti-gunners were yelling about the cost of having thousands of properly trained armed security guards for school protection, yet they seem to embrace funding the ATF cost of implementing this Bill, plus the extra costs of background checks, identification/fingerprint processing, and local LE identification certification.
Just another example of their lack of common sense.
I would like to suggest to Feinstein that she and Bloomberg should foot the bill for something like this.

I'm pretty sure that they would have gun owners pay for everything.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby jshuberg on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:25 pm

If they try to push this through, I wouldn't be surprised if they also increased the transfer tax. $200 hasn't changed since 1934, when I believe it amounted to several months salary for the average person. I could see them proposing something like a $5000 registration fee. If you can't pay it, you have to turn in the rifle as its no longer transferable.

I really hope that they're thinking of these kinds of things. It would be so out of line that very few members of congress would be willing to vote for it. And if they did, they'd be living the rest of their lives in a bus shelter.

I stand by my belief that Heller makes any kind of outright ban on weapons in common use by law abiding citizens unconstitutional. Honestly, I don't know what Feinstein and friends are thinking. They have to know that the odds of any major gun control legislation passing are *extremely* low.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby tazdevil on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:47 pm

jshuberg wrote:If they try to push this through, I wouldn't be surprised if they also increased the transfer tax. $200 hasn't changed since 1934, when I believe it amounted to several months salary for the average person. I could see them proposing something like a $5000 registration fee. If you can't pay it, you have to turn in the rifle as its no longer transferable.

I really hope that they're thinking of these kinds of things. It would be so out of line that very few members of congress would be willing to vote for it. And if they did, they'd be living the rest of their lives in a bus shelter.

I stand by my belief that Heller makes any kind of outright ban on weapons in common use by law abiding citizens unconstitutional. Honestly, I don't know what Feinstein and friends are thinking. They have to know that the odds of any major gun control legislation passing are *extremely* low.

Wish I could believe that last part. Problem is, with emotions high, rational thinking low, this is the exact recipe anti's would hope for to get strong bills passed that befoer would've been extremely difficult if not impossible. January is going to be interesting, hopefully not too ugly.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Next

Return to In The News