Protect MN Press Release : NRA Press Conference

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Protect MN Press Release : NRA Press Conference

Postby Mn01r6 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 pm

The columbine CRO was out looking for smokers when the shooting started.
Mn01r6

Postby tman on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:20 am

AFTERMATH wrote:.
I don't think I've ever met a mother who could pull the trigger on her own child - Even if she knew he was the Anti-Christ...

I had to remind someone of this yesterday. She'd quoted some Michael Moore drivel.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby LarryP on Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 am

I for one was dissappointed with the NRA's response. I wasn't expecting anything magical, but they didn't say much. Putting cops at every school would bankrupt taxpayers - At least the ones who aren't bankrupt already.
I support the NRA, but I don't think they hit a home run with their awaited response.
LarryP

Postby whiteox on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:36 am

LarryP wrote:I for one was dissappointed with the NRA's response. I wasn't expecting anything magical, but they didn't say much. Putting cops at every school would bankrupt taxpayers - At least the ones who aren't bankrupt already.
I support the NRA, but I don't think they hit a home run with their awaited response.

I'm hoping the intent was to show how from a purely statistical standpoint the Sandy Hook shooting will no have a significant effect on the murder rate. It was shocking and tragic and evil, but it's also almost impossible to prevent. No matter how much money you throw at that problem, there is no guarantee it will prevent another mass shooting.

I'm hoping that they made the proposal to get people to think about the cost of preventative measures, because when folks think about the cost they inevitably start to think about the benefit. The hard truth is if the goal is to save kids lives there are better places to spend tens of billions per year. The corresponding hard truth is that no matter how much you spend you can't stop every mass murderer.

The tough bit is finding the balance.

I wish I had that answer.
whiteox

Postby TooFewGuns on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:14 am

Billions of dollars by the NRA lobbyists? They spent 600 million last year, $1.50 for every member. The entire firearm industry in this country is only $13.6 billion (Forbes), smaller than Toys 'R' Us in revenue. The anti-gun crowd wants to make it seem like firearms industries in this country could solve our national debt with their revenue.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby whiteox on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:24 am

TooFewGuns wrote:Billions of dollars by the NRA lobbyists? They spent 600 million last year, $1.50 for every member. The entire firearm industry in this country is only $13.6 billion (Forbes), smaller than Toys 'R' Us in revenue. The anti-gun crowd wants to make it seem like firearms industries in this country could solve our national debt with their revenue.

Reread. Not saying NRA spent billions, they're saying the NRA wants taxpayers to spend billions to put a cop in every school.
whiteox

Postby xd ED on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:59 am

We don't need to 'spend billions' to qualify existing and future teachers to be trained in defensive firearm use.
What is needed is the recognition that the roles (and thus qualifications) of a school teacher are changing, just as those roles have always adapted in the history of public schools.

School districts I am familiar with spend a ton of money rewarding middle-aged, semi-burned out teachers for getting master's degrees, and those I've known readily admit, they went back to school only to get a raise, and saw little other professional value to the ME degree.
I was fortunate enough to have gone through K-12 when a fair number of my teachers were WWII vets- some decorated. These gentlemen in their day would have little hesitation to stepping up to meet the current crisis.
There are no doubt others in school systems that could adapt as well. In the future, it perhaps should be a consideration as to their ability to take on the role of classroom protector.
This is a long-term, sea-change that must be addressed in the long term, not merely in one congressional session with some temporary funding.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Re: Re: Protect MN Press Release : NRA Press Conference

Postby sabre on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:08 am

Mn01r6 wrote:
sabre wrote:'Only 60% of gun purchases go through a background check' -
I'd like to see where they dug this bogus number from. I guess a lot of people are getting their guns as hand downs from their fathers.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

60% (3 of 5) guns I own were given to me. I expect I will inherit 10 or so when my dad passes away too. They, like the guns given to me, are all hunting shotguns and .22 rifles. This is a total red herring but I would gladly accept mandatory background checks if that was the only restriction.

Must be from a gun family? I have had exactly 100% of my acquisitions with a background check - all were at retail gun stores. I can see your point for the older firearms though.

Sent via Tapatalk 2
sabre

Re: Re: Protect MN Press Release : NRA Press Conference

Postby Mn01r6 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:52 am

sabre wrote:Must be from a gun family? I have had exactly 100% of my acquisitions with a background check - all were at retail gun stores. I can see your point for the older firearms though.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

My dad was a dedicated hunter and my grandfather was an Olympic caliber trap shooter.
Mn01r6

Postby arizona98tj on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:17 pm

LarryP wrote:I for one was dissappointed with the NRA's response. I wasn't expecting anything magical, but they didn't say much. Putting cops at every school would bankrupt taxpayers - At least the ones who aren't bankrupt already.

We must have watched different presentations from the NRA. When I watched LaPierre, the suggestion was that volunteers take on the responsibility so the there would be minimal, if any, budget impacts. He was using examples of retired LEOs, Vets, etc. with appropriate training for the security force.
arizona98tj

Previous

Return to In The News