2 theft suspects crash and die in Minneapolis while fleeing

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

2 theft suspects crash and die in Minneapolis while fleeing

Postby Widge on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:43 pm

http://www.twincities.com/ci_10074689?s ... ost_viewed

Two men were killed Friday afternoon in Northeast Minneapolis when a vehicle chase ended in a fiery crash.

About 3 p.m., two Fridley detectives responded to a tip that copper wire stolen in Fridley was being loaded into a pickup truck in the 3400 block of Fifth Street Northeast in Minneapolis, Anoka County officials said.

When they arrived, they saw a pickup truck accelerate and drive away, dropping what officials believe to be stolen property on the street.

The detectives turned on their emergency lights and sirens and followed the truck, officials said.

When the truck didn't stop, the detectives turned off their lights and sirens because Fridley police have a no-pursuit policy, said Gordy Hughes, lead dispatcher for the Anoka County Sheriff's Department.

After turning down a nearby street, officers found the truck ablaze, having crashed into a tree in the 600 block of Columbia Parkway in Minneapolis.

Ha-HA!

nelsonmuntz6wj.gif
nelsonmuntz6wj.gif (4.76 KB) Viewed 3168 times
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Re: 2 theft suspects crash and die in Minneapolis while fleeing

Postby jac714 on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:02 pm

Kind of peotic justice, crummy way to go for the driver to burn to death but I guess if you are going to be a criminal there are occupational hazards.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby 1911fan on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:48 pm

I would believe that substances would prove to be a force involved here. They never seemed to have left rubber trying to slow down when I went past the scene today. they just seemed to be too busy trying to look behind them lookng for the cops that never came,
1911fan

Postby nyffman on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:10 pm

.....having crashed into a tree.
Tree huggers may not be too happy with the outcome.:roll: The rest of us, on the other hand, can be thankful that another occupied vehicle, etc, did not assist their demise. :cheers:
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby 1911fan on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:14 pm

A correction, I believe the fridley PD does have a pursuit policy, but this did not meet the guidelines for a pursuit.

They did pursue the guys who tried to hold up the Bank on University where the guy died after hitting a light pole on Silver lake a year or more ago, seems to me to be reasonable, risk everyones safety for a armed felon, suspend for a property crime with no physical victim.
1911fan

Postby nyffman on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:18 pm

They're kinda rough on things made of wood over there.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby David on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:44 pm

It says "dectectives." I wonder if that's why they didn't chase them, because maybe they weren't in a regular squad that was chase certified?

I saw the smoke from the blaze as I was driving down Washington toward Broadway from downtown. It seemed to go out pretty quickly.
David

Postby Aceq2jot on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:18 pm

David Slam wrote:It says "dectectives." I wonder if that's why they didn't chase them, because maybe they weren't in a regular squad that was chase certified?

I saw the smoke from the blaze as I was driving down Washington toward Broadway from downtown. It seemed to go out pretty quickly.

I know that Saint Paul detectives call for a marked squad when they want a car pulled over. Thats what they did the other day when they got the thiefs who got the copper from the state fair :o Then they had the state fair police come and arrest them and impound the car :o
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby Srigs on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:16 pm

The no-pursuit policy just killed a couple bad guys :twisted:
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby hammAR on Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:59 pm

I just love those remote control trees and light poles.............we need more of them!
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Lady Glock on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:31 pm

Dang :cry:
I love a happy ending!! :D
Lady Glock

Postby Tutmos on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:01 pm

David Slam wrote:It says "dectectives." I wonder if that's why they didn't chase them, because maybe they weren't in a regular squad that was chase certified?

I think the idea is that lawful citizens may not trust stopping for some unknown random car simply because it has a concealed flashing light. Because I don't like the concept of them I'll ignore them and drive to the nearest police station as I'd suggest anyone else do as well. For safety sake of course.
Tutmos

Postby Ironbear on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:06 am

There seems to be a basic lack of skillz going around. Recently, while walking the dog, we saw a pickup hit a parked RV. The driver jumped out into another vehicle, and they took off. So suspicious looking that about 5 people in the neighborhood got the license number. Nearby, there is a one block long street, terminating in a stop sign and a "Y" intersection. In one block, someone got going fast enough to blow the stop sign, split the Y, jump a curb, cross 50' of lawn, and still have enough speed up to scatter a retaining block flower planter like a bunch of bowling pins.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Spartan117 on Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:36 pm

Lady Glock wrote:I love a happy ending!! :D

Right on.
Spartan117

Postby Tutmos on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Ironbear wrote:There seems to be a basic lack of skillz going around. Recently, while walking the dog, we saw a pickup hit a parked RV. The driver jumped out into another vehicle, and they took off. So suspicious looking that about 5 people in the neighborhood got the license number. Nearby, there is a one block long street, terminating in a stop sign and a "Y" intersection. In one block, someone got going fast enough to blow the stop sign, split the Y, jump a curb, cross 50' of lawn, and still have enough speed up to scatter a retaining block flower planter like a bunch of bowling pins.

I watched a Chinese guy, riding his bike on the sidewalk at the U, run head-on into a light post. There wasn't any pedestrian traffic blocking him or anything. It appears he just couldn't make a decision on which way to go around the light post and rammed it before making a selection. The other person he was riding with started going off in Chinese at him, but didn't seem to laugh about it. Everyone else that saw it politely acted like nothing had happened and turned their heads to laugh. The people that saw it couldn't stop laughing for quite some time as we all looked at each other in amazement. It was like a commercial.
Tutmos

Return to In The News