Illinois Governor vetoes concealed carry bill......

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Illinois Governor vetoes concealed carry bill......

Postby minnhawk on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:32 pm

Ok, some parts of it.

Flanked by parents of gun violence victims, Democrat Quinn said at a press conference that he objected to at least nine provisions of the new Illinois concealed carry measure that was passed by the legislature.

"This is a flawed bill with serious safety problems that must be addressed," Quinn said.

Illinois governor Pat Quinn on Tuesday vetoed parts of a gun bill that would have allowed people to carry more than one gun, carry guns into some places that serve alcohol, and carry a partly exposed gun.

After the press conference, House Speaker Michael Madigan and Senate President John Cullerton, both Democrats, said through aides that they would hold votes on July 9 to override Quinn's veto.

Let the games begin........

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/ ... 3520130702
Eleven-Bravo, 1/4 INF, 3ID
minnhawk

Re: Illinois Governor vetoes concealed carry bill......

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 pm

In Illinois law the Governor can make an amendatory veto. In which he basically changes whatever he wants in the bill and sends it back to the Assembly saying this or nothing. The Assembly can now do one of three things: 1. Do nothing, let the veto stand and starting July 10 Illinois will have Constitutional Carry. 2. Accept the Governors amendments with a majority vote and the governor's version will be law. Or 3. Override the veto with a 3/5 majority and the original version will be law. I hope that they go with option 1 but I'm betting on option 3.

I find it interesting that both chambers of the Assembly are having their override votes on July 9, which is the last day the appeals court has given them to produce a carry bill before it imposes constitutional carry. Another imposition that Gov. Quinn added was that you could not carry on private property without the owners permission. Which would require a business to have a sign posted that they allow carry rather than a sign that they forbid carry.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby EllisW on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:19 pm

lol at

Licensees can carry only in locations where the property owner has posted a sign indicating it’s OK to carry a gun on the property.

Why are they so afraid? No state with legal carry laws has had a BLOOD IN THE STREETS scenario, and some have been going for almost 20 years without one. Why do we let these blind clowns run our country?
EllisW

Postby CraigJS on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Sounds like they got what they voted in. When will the people learn to think, rather then go for the "pretty face" (so to speak)!
The people around the world laugh at American voters and their ignorance..
CraigJS

Postby ex-LT on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:11 am

CraigJS wrote:Sounds like they got what they voted in. When will the people learn to think, rather then go for the "pretty face" (so to speak) elect the person who promises them the most "free stuff"!

FTFY
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby EAJuggalo on Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:11 am

CraigJS wrote:Sounds like they got what they voted in. When will the people learn to think, rather then go for the "pretty face" (so to speak)!

The vast geographical area of Illinois would like a good carry law and is actually slightly right of center. It's the fact that the Chicago Metropolitan Area dominates the population, hence the state house and gov mansion that screw it up. Very similar to New York actually.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby harryset on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:51 am

EAJuggalo wrote:
CraigJS wrote:Sounds like they got what they voted in. When will the people learn to think, rather then go for the "pretty face" (so to speak)!

The vast geographical area of Illinois would like a good carry law and is actually slightly right of center. It's the fact that the Chicago Metropolitan Area dominates the population, hence the state house and gov mansion that screw it up. Very similar to New York actually.

Same deal with Minnesota. Minneapolis/St. Paul dominates the state.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby darkwolf45 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 am

Been a few years since I looked at the issue, but minneapolis for a long time had a population problem, where anyone who could left. Seeing how they treat my grandma, I certainly have no desire to move there, and tell everyone I can about the city's behavior.

If it wasnt for all of the businesses in Minneapolis, the city would be dead. I cant say that it would bother me if businesses did leave en masse.
darkwolf45
Banned

Postby Heffay on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:44 am

darkwolf45 wrote:Been a few years since I looked at the issue, but minneapolis for a long time had a population problem, where anyone who could left. Seeing how they treat my grandma, I certainly have no desire to move there, and tell everyone I can about the city's behavior.

If it wasnt for all of the businesses in Minneapolis, the city would be dead. I cant say that it would bother me if businesses did leave en masse.

You say that as if people aren't moving back into the city by the thousands.

This isn't the 1970s anymore. A lot of people are looking for urban living, which is raising the values of places within the city limits and moving the poors out to the suburbs.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Return to In The News