Your Opinions: Lessons learned from Zimmerman Trial

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby gunsmith on Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:52 pm

Personally, I'm going back to school...in the basics...such as awareness, avoidance, de-escalation, retreat, verbal commands, the actual law.

Zimmy was a 'good guy' but fat and stupid....he got his dick caught in the wringer and barely escaped alive.

Zimmy Trial was a bucket of cold water....If they want your ass they're going to get it....

this proves the addage "The only way to win a gunfight, is to not be there"

So....you just witnessed a Lefty-Lynchmob....what will you be doing differently in the future when you leave your Castle carrying a weapon?

gunsmith

Re: Your Opinions: Lessons learned from Zimmerman Trial

Postby infidel on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:15 am

Second lesson, use Google Glass for all encounters with any human and instant upload the video to the "cloud".
Third lesson, this is the 21rst century, you need a geek lawyer.
First lesson was redacted.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby rugersol on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:13 am

don't be "white"! :shameonyou:
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Uffdaphil on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:46 am

I learned that anything you said, did pr posted in the past will be used to portray you as a scumbag at your trial. So sadly, dare not answer here.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Heffay on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:56 am

rugersol wrote:don't be "white"! :shameonyou:

Exactly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... ing-shots/
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby dcwn.45 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:11 am

Jeff Cooper decscribed it as
problem 1- surviving a shooting incident
problem 2- surviving the legal aftermath
The trick is to solve problem 1 in a way that makes it easier[ or at least possible] to solve problem 2.
I think the real key here was both parties' status as a "reluctant participant'

One could make a pretty good argument that Martin was just walking innocently home with his bag of harmless Skittles when he felt reasonably threatened by some creepy guy who was following him.
He tries to hide, the guy gets too close for his comfort, and he jumps out and knocks him down.
At this point , Zimmerman should no longer be perceived by him as a threat and he should disengage.
Martin loses his status as a reluctant participant when he jumps on Zimmerman , breaks his nose, and bashes his head into the concrete.

Zimmerman has trouble as well claiming reluctant participant due to his following Martin [in my opinion, this is mostly when he leaves his car, I think following in the car is less provacative] .
This is also a problem when he is told by 911 that it is not needed [to follow Martin]
I dont think Zimmerman did anything illegal, but just because something is legal does not make it a good idea.

It does not seem that Martin did anything illegal up until he jumped onto Zimmerman to press the attack.[I submit that his initial pushing down of Zimmerman may have been legally ok if he was afraid at the time.

The editorials stating that if there was no gun, no one would be dead are simply not truthful, we dont know if Zimmerman would be dead, it is very possible to die from someone pounding the back of your head into a sidewalk.

The lesson to learn is a common one, politics often trump facts.
Oh, and always do your best to maintain [and be able to demonstrate] your status as a RELUCTANT PARTICIPANT.
dcwn.45

Postby CraigJS on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:28 am

Don't take ANYTHING for granted, shut up, lawyer up!!
CraigJS

Postby gunsmith on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 am

One opinion that will be a 'must read' is Massad Ayoub.

I want his opinion on:
A) THE INCIDENT
B) THE TRIAL
C) REVIEW OF THE BASICS IN LIGHT OF THE TRIAL / VERDICT

If you don't know who he is google it.
He's a sheriffs deputy in New England.
'In the gravest extreme' 186 reviews on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/In-Gravest-Extrem ... 0936279001

He's one of the top five authorities on the topic of 'use of deadly force in self defense' and his writings will be part of my refresher course.

Note to instructors...an idea for an 'add on' course could be "How to not be Zimmermann-ed" :)

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/NN ... alfull.htm

Cue Dragnet music:

gunsmith

Postby gunsmith on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 am

Who said that your firearm:

'lets you trade one extremely undesirable set of circumstances (hours in surgery in the Emergency Room)

for another (16 months on trial as a Nazi Baby-Killer)
gunsmith

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:45 am

Sent from a NSA phone
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby mnmike59 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:43 am

I don't plan on doing anything different than what I was taught.
You will know if you are in danger of serious bodily harm or death. If this happens, I would bet most people would forget they are carrying a weapon. If you did need to use it and were alert enough to use it, you'll probably be glad you're facing a jury than a pine box.
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby TooFewGuns on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:40 am

Heffay wrote:
rugersol wrote:don't be "white"! :shameonyou:

Exactly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... ing-shots/

Isn't it more like "don't look even a little white, even if you are Hispanic"? As for the woman Heffay pointed out, that case is awful. She is going down for doing what Uncle Joe Biden told us all to do when our lives are in danger.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby Texastransplant on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:22 am

I learned that most of my friends have zero idea of how self defense works, little to no respect for law, and a hard time accepting reality. My take away? Not to talk guns, politics and religion with any of them. I lost a lot of respect for a lot of people I thought were rational, thinking human beings.
Texastransplant

Postby PHATSPEED7x on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:28 am

I was able to clean out my friends list on facebook. Anyone who supported trayvon martin I unfriended. Dumbass!

Sent from a NSA phone
"Amateurs train until they get it right... Professionals train until they get it wrong"
PHATSPEED7x

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:34 am

Texastransplant wrote:I learned that most of my friends have zero idea of how self defense works, little to no respect for law, and a hard time accepting reality. My take away? Not to talk guns, politics and religion with any of them. I lost a lot of respect for a lot of people I thought were rational, thinking human beings.

Bingo. Not to mention, anything you type, speak, write, or otherwise, could be used AGAINST you in a court of law.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Next

Return to In The News