Your Opinions: Lessons learned from Zimmerman Trial

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Your Opinions: Lessons learned from Zimmerman Trial

Postby harryset on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Don't pull your gun until you are closer to being beaten to death.
stercus accidit
It's not the LAWS you necessarily have to worry about, it's how the laws are regulated.

Send Me
harryset

Postby MasonK on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:28 pm

That if MNGT had advertising on the site, the Zimmerman Trial Off To An Acceptable Start thread could have generated enough revenue to pay for all upgrades, paid staff moderators, and enough left over to donate cash and avoid charity auction fiascos.
MasonK

Postby JJ on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:42 pm

When stupid people (Zim), do stupid things (playing cop on tv), bad things happen. And when bad things happen, you win stupid prizes (trial).
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby gunsmith on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:54 pm

MasonK wrote:That if MNGT had advertising on the site, the Zimmerman Trial Off To An Acceptable Start thread could have generated enough revenue to pay for all upgrades, paid staff moderators, and enough left over to donate cash and avoid charity auction fiascos.

I realized (I started the thread) that that's what these bloggers do....and some of them make a living at it....Just saw a Hichkok 45 vid on Youtube and he said he quit one of his jobs to concentrate on his Youtube 'business' which brings in money through the videos that play at the beginning of his.
gunsmith

Postby minnhawk on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Or, when stupid people (Martin) do stupid things (circling Z's car, going home, safe, return to assault Z), bad things happen. And when bad things happen, you win stupid prizes (a 9mm bullet to the heart).
Eleven-Bravo, 1/4 INF, 3ID
minnhawk

Postby gman1868 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby MasonK on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:16 pm

gman1868 wrote:Massad Ayoob's blog:

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/

I was wondering why the Guru remained silent the past 18 months. I now have an answer.
MasonK

Postby Texastransplant on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Deputyhiro wrote:
Texastransplant wrote:I learned that most of my friends have zero idea of how self defense works, little to no respect for law, and a hard time accepting reality. My take away? Not to talk guns, politics and religion with any of them. I lost a lot of respect for a lot of people I thought were rational, thinking human beings.

Bingo. Not to mention, anything you type, speak, write, or otherwise, could be used AGAINST you in a court of law.

Unless, of course, you are Trayvon Martin.
Texastransplant

Postby gunsmith on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:33 pm

MasonK wrote:
gman1868 wrote:Massad Ayoob's blog:

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/

I was wondering why the Guru remained silent the past 18 months. I now have an answer.

Several blog followers have asked me why I haven't spoken anywhere on this, the most important armed citizen case of our time. The answer is this:

I did write on it once, on Friday, March 23, 2012. The following day, I received a phone call from Craig Sonner, George Zimmerman’s original legal counsel, to retain me on the case as an expert witness for the defense.

The weeks wore on. Attorney and client parted ways. I was subsequently contacted by Mark O’Mara, the new defense lawyer. Late in May of 2012, I met with him in his office, along with his co-counsel Don West. I also attended the bail hearing in which Zimmerman’s bond was revoked. During the hearing, TV cameras swept the courtroom. Some folks saw that, recognized me, and apparently assumed I was involved with the case.

In fact, I don’t take expert witness cases until I’ve seen all the evidence, and the prosecution was extremely slow in providing that. I wound up not being involved. However, having been retained by one of the defendant’s lawyers and consulted with another, I felt bound by confidentiality and did not think it would be professional to comment directly on the matter from then on.

I’ve been biting my tongue ever since, because there was much that I wanted to say.

I said Massad Ayoub was one of the Top Five on the subject....he's probably #1
gunsmith

Postby bstrawse on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:11 am

This the most comprehensive AAR I've seen - from Hilton Yam's gang at Modern Service Weapons

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=3874
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby CraigJS on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:16 am

From the comments about the trial and verdict, to me it shows the USA is full of MORONS! They don't like the system until THEY need it.. Have NO ability to critically think out their next meal, much less this issue.
Also thanks to the media for creating a racial issue out of this.
God please help this country...
CraigJS

Postby rugersol on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 am

CraigJS wrote:Also thanks to the media obama for creating a racial issue out of this.
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Nougat on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:11 am

Heffay wrote:
rugersol wrote:don't be "white"! :shameonyou:

Exactly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... ing-shots/

so warning shots fired (maybe not even toward?) for someone she had a protective order against gets her 20 years without even slightly injuring anyone?
Nougat

Postby jgalt on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am

Nougat wrote:
Heffay wrote:
rugersol wrote:don't be "white"! :shameonyou:

Exactly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-574 ... ing-shots/

so warning shots fired (maybe not even toward?) for someone she had a protective order against gets her 20 years without even slightly injuring anyone?

Read enough about that case and you're likely to come to the following conclusions:

(1) Given all that is publicly known, there is little doubt she is guilty. It can be debated whether or not she is guilty because what she did was wrong, or only because she broke the law, but she definitely did break FL law in this case.

(2) There is no reality in which 20 years is a fair verdict. Minimum / Automatic sentencing rules based solely on the fact a gun was used in a crime are ridiculous, should never be passed, and any currently on the books should be eliminated.
Last edited by jgalt on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgalt

Postby photogpat on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:03 am

I'm trying to find the article I read that "warning shots" aren't covered under "Stand Your Ground" laws in Florida.

If you read into the case details -- she may or may not have been an unwilling participant as well...IANAL.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

PreviousNext

Return to In The News