This is the problem with america!

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby Erud on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Heffay wrote:Not exactly rolling in the money. It is the equivalent to a $15/hour job. That would probably be a great place to raise the minimum wage to, so that the incentive to get off welfare becomes fairly strong.

So, you'd like to see every 16-year old kid at McDonald's making $15 /hour? Should a person's skills and value to a business even be a factor in how much they are paid?

How much do you want a cheeseburger to cost?
Last edited by Erud on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Re: This is the problem with america!

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Erud wrote:
Heffay wrote:Not exactly rolling in the money. It is the equivalent to a $15/hour job. That would probably be a great place to raise the minimum wage to, so that the incentive to get off welfare becomes fairly strong.
/quote]

So, you'd like to see every 16-year old kid at McDonald's making $15 /hour? Should a person's skills and value to a business even be a factor in how much they are paid?

A McDonalds cheeseburger? I don't care one bit how much it costs. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Ron Burgundy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Not exactly rolling in the money. It is the equivalent to a $15/hour job. That would probably be a great place to raise the minimum wage to, so that the incentive to get off welfare becomes fairly strong.

If the minimum wage increases, wouldn't that mean goods would become more expensive (or at least, goods made by minimum wage workers)?

Wouldn't a substantial increase to minimum wage likely correlate to higher wages for all? If so, wouldn't that really be a wash for minimum wage earners?
Ron Burgundy

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:59 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:
Not exactly rolling in the money. It is the equivalent to a $15/hour job. That would probably be a great place to raise the minimum wage to, so that the incentive to get off welfare becomes fairly strong.

If the minimum wage increases, wouldn't that mean goods would become more expensive (or at least, goods made by minimum wage workers)?

Wouldn't a substantial increase to minimum wage likely correlate to higher wages for all? If so, wouldn't that really be a wash for minimum wage earners?

A bit, but it would probably more likely hasten the move to automation and robotics, as well as drive the need to increase efficiency and productivity from the existing workers.

It would also probably hasten the demise of unions, because lol unions.
To the two forum members who have used lines from my posts as their signatures, can't you quote Jesse Ventura or some other great Minnesotan instead of stealing mine? - LePetomane
Heffay

Postby Ron Burgundy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 pm

I'd like to go on record and say this is a terrible idea'yer. First, I don't want to be more productive. Second, I'm worried that SkyNet will be building my goods and making my food. Because, robots.
Ron Burgundy

Postby river_boater on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:38 pm

No, the problem with America is we don't make anything here anymore.
river_boater

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:I'd like to go on record and say this is a terrible idea'yer. First, I don't want to be more productive. Second, I'm worried that SkyNet will be building my goods and making my food. Because, robots.

Don't worry. You'll be in the first wave of people displaced by robots and put onto the welfare. ;-)
Heffay

Postby Erud on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:27 pm

Heffay wrote:
Erud wrote:
/quote]

A McDonalds cheeseburger? I don't care one bit how much it costs. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.

That was actually somewhat of a rhetorical question. The question before that was the important one.
Erud

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Erud wrote:
Heffay wrote:
Erud wrote: Should a person's skills and value to a business even be a factor in how much they are paid?

That was actually somewhat of a rhetorical question. The question before that was the important one.

Since when has a business ever paid someone based on their skill and value? Is this a new thing? Cause I'm sure not seeing it today.

Businesses don't pay someone according to their skill and value. They pay someone the minimum amount that they can for someone who can get the job done.

Well... at least at the bottom of the food chain, that is. At the top, they pay as much as they can get away with.
Heffay

Postby Erud on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:05 pm

I get paid based on my skill and value.
Erud

Postby Heffay on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Erud wrote:I get paid based on my skill and value.

Suuuuure you do.
Heffay

Postby Erud on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:09 pm

Just curious, why would you assume that I don't?
Erud

Postby grousemaster on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:12 pm

Heffay wrote:
Erud wrote:
/quote]

In big cites, you see a lot of homeless folks scraping buy on those $1 specials, not kidding...
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby grousemaster on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:18 pm

MrDig wrote:{Sarcasm}Sure I spend all of my $203.00 dollars per month on the Tribe in Mille Lacs,{Sarcasm}

If you think getting by on welfare is easy street you are sadly mistaken.
And if you want to call me a freeloader because I have medical problems and can't work go right ahead.
More over while you bitch about us freeloaders your federal tax dollars are subsidizing multi Billion Dollar companies like Exxon and Walmart. Yes Good Old all American Walmart is ripping you off by now paying people enough they all qualify for Food Stamps and Medical Assistance because they can only work 29 hours a week not 30 thereby no need for Standard benefits.
So next time you want to bitch about the "Welfare State" read the Book of Matthew Chapter 25 Verses 31-46

Hey,

I agree we ought to be helping those in need before we help corporations, unless stopping "helping" those multi billion dollar companies harms the economy or leads to more lost jobs.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Mn01r6 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:03 pm

grousemaster wrote:
MrDig wrote:{Sarcasm}Sure I spend all of my $203.00 dollars per month on the Tribe in Mille Lacs,{Sarcasm}

If you think getting by on welfare is easy street you are sadly mistaken.
And if you want to call me a freeloader because I have medical problems and can't work go right ahead.
More over while you bitch about us freeloaders your federal tax dollars are subsidizing multi Billion Dollar companies like Exxon and Walmart. Yes Good Old all American Walmart is ripping you off by now paying people enough they all qualify for Food Stamps and Medical Assistance because they can only work 29 hours a week not 30 thereby no need for Standard benefits.
So next time you want to bitch about the "Welfare State" read the Book of Matthew Chapter 25 Verses 31-46

Hey,

I agree we ought to be helping those in need before we help corporations, unless stopping "helping" those multi billion dollar companies harms the economy or leads to more lost jobs.

No, just stop it. Rip the band aid off. We will be better for it in the long run if we just get back to the free market and put everyone involved in crony capitalism in jail.
Mn01r6

PreviousNext

Return to In The News