BCA Issues 2014 PTC Stats

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby photogpat on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:46 pm

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-di ... Report.pdf

181,402 valid permits.

This just in: Blood STILL NOT Running In The Streets...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Re: BCA Issues 2014 PTC Stats

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:41 pm

I thought this line was interesting, surprised you win an appeal if you threatened to kill a peace officer. Obviously don't know the specifics but was interesting.

][Dakota][Threats to kill peace officers, reference Oakdale Case #][YES][Issued][
Ghost

Postby maddhunter on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:49 pm

That is a lot of reading material for only $6500.00 of our tax dollars. I thought state workers were compensated better than that . Did anyone else notice that they did not do a grand total of expenses or funds generated by the application permits? Seems they want us to do the math on our own. Or did I miss it?
maddhunter

Postby jshuberg on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:16 pm

Ghost wrote:I thought this line was interesting, surprised you win an appeal if you threatened to kill a peace officer. Obviously don't know the specifics but was interesting.

][Dakota][Threats to kill peace officers, reference Oakdale Case #][YES][Issued][

We have absolutely no context of what the situation was. For example, it could have been a drunken threat that he made when he was an 18 year old kid. But now as 60 year old man, should that incident in his past be considered evidence that he is currently a danger to self or others? Of course not.

When reading a summary report, you have to realize that it lacks any of the necessary context from which conclusions can be drawn beyond the raw numbers. Every appeal is heard by a judge where the details and context are everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby shooter115 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Ha....I'm sitting right next to the only woman in the 21-29 demographic in my county to get her permit this year (coworker). Funny and disappointing at the same time.
shooter115

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:51 pm

jshuberg wrote:
Ghost wrote:I thought this line was interesting, surprised you win an appeal if you threatened to kill a peace officer. Obviously don't know the specifics but was interesting.

We have absolutely no context of what the situation was. For example, it could have been a drunken threat that he made when he was an 18 year old kid. But now as 60 year old man, should that incident in his past be considered evidence that he is currently a danger to self or others? Of course not.

When reading a summary report, you have to realize that it lacks any of the necessary context from which conclusions can be drawn beyond the raw numbers. Every appeal is heard by a judge where the details and context are everything.

Understood, why I pointed out that I don't know the specifics. Still makes it interesting.
Ghost

Postby jshuberg on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:12 pm

If anything, it's evidence that people are capable of turning their life around, and that a persons civil rights can be restored. The process may not be perfect, but it is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby 2in2out on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:20 pm

maddhunter wrote:That is a lot of reading material for only $6500.00 of our tax dollars. I thought state workers were compensated better than that . Did anyone else notice that they did not do a grand total of expenses or funds generated by the application permits? Seems they want us to do the math on our own. Or did I miss it?

It must be in there some place, because Bring Me The News reports:

Total revenue tied to permit to carry applicaions? About $3.7 million. About $3.2 million was spent on expenditures related to applications.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby captnviper on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Anoka spent $18281 on office machines in 2013 must of broke them all because another $20593 was needed in 2014!! What is an "office machine"?
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby photogpat on Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:57 am

captnviper wrote:Anoka spent $18281 on office machines in 2013 must of broke them all because another $20593 was needed in 2014!! What is an "office machine"?

Keurig for everyone's office, new iPad for everyone, new iPhone 6C+, etc etc etc
photogpat

Postby captnviper on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:54 am

photogpat wrote:
captnviper wrote:Anoka spent $18281 on office machines in 2013 must of broke them all because another $20593 was needed in 2014!! What is an "office machine"?

Keurig for everyone's office, new iPad for everyone, new iPhone 6C+, etc etc etc

They employ 2 retired sheriffs to do the work!!!!
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby photogpat on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:02 am

captnviper wrote:They employ 2 retired sheriffs to do the work!!!!

Seems like someone should do a Freedom of Information Act request....
photogpat

Postby bstrawse on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:20 pm

photogpat wrote:

FOIA = Federal.

State == Minnesota Government Data Practices Act

:)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby photogpat on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:39 pm

bstrawse wrote:
photogpat wrote:

FOIA = Federal.

State == Minnesota Government Data Practices Act

:)
B

Mea culpa
photogpat

Return to In The News