Pastor spoke of "gun violence" in story on house fire

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Pastor spoke of "gun violence" in story on house fire

Postby yonse on Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:19 pm

I was watching Fox 9 news tonight and they opened with the story about the house fire in Minneapolis which killed 3 kids. During the story they interviewed a couple people including Pastor Harding Smith. The first words out of his mouth were something like "We're already losing a generation of kids to gun violence..." I couldn't believe that he would use a story about 3 children losing their lives to an accidental house fire to talk about "gun violence". I know that I probably shouldn't be but I was even more shocked that Fox didn't edit it out of the story. At least they edited that part out of the interview on their website.
You don't know me, son, so let me explain this to you once: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed.
yonse

Re: Pastor spoke of "gun violence" in story on house fire

Postby Nougat on Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:57 pm

at least one response?

fire claims 3000+ lives a year murderers using guns only about 2x that...not sure if its logical to think that we have fire kind of under control sort of anyhow by doing better wiring and stuff? so if its only twice as much as that from all the crazies, its not so bad since they are harder to keep controlled?

are my numbers right? is my tangent too skewed :cry:
Nougat

Postby 2in2out on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:35 pm

I don't know how to describe what Pastor Harding Smith said... shameless... hypocritical... psychopathic... I just can't decide. Obviously, he's got something on his mind other than the compassion, support and comfort that the family needs.

Re: Tangent - accidental fires used to be far, far more common. It happens to be FIRE PREVENTION WEEK right now, and firefighters all over the country take this opportunity to help people be better aware of ways they can reduce or prevent injuries and loss due to fire. This week is a commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, but we've had quite a number of "conflagrations", even in Minnesota, and those are much more rare these days. Fire safety can maybe be thought of as similar to self defense, though - it's one of those things that requires a lifelong commitment, practice and a prepared mindset for an event that won't likely happen but would be deadly if it did. This retired fire chief always appreciates talking about fire safety and prevention.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:20 am

2in2out wrote:I don't know how to describe what Pastor Harding Smith said... shameless... hypocritical... psychopathic... I just can't decide. Obviously, he's got something on his mind other than the compassion, support and comfort that the family needs.

Re: Tangent - accidental fires used to be far, far more common. It happens to be FIRE PREVENTION WEEK right now, and firefighters all over the country take this opportunity to help people be better aware of ways they can reduce or prevent injuries and loss due to fire. This week is a commemoration of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, but we've had quite a number of "conflagrations", even in Minnesota, and those are much more rare these days. Fire safety can maybe be thought of as similar to self defense, though - it's one of those things that requires a lifelong commitment, practice and a prepared mindset for an event that won't likely happen but would be deadly if it did. This retired fire chief always appreciates talking about fire safety and prevention.

Why in all these year did you not just post buildings as fire free zones? Would have saved so many...
Holland&Holland

Postby Ironbear on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:18 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Why in all these year did you not just post buildings as fire free zones? Would have saved so many...

It would have discriminated against smokers and that is just not... uhmmm... well... never mind!
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Nougat on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOD8SaNblE

[youtube=]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOD8SaNblE[/youtube]
[youtube=]KUOD8SaNblE[/youtube]
[youtube=]v=KUOD8SaNblE[/youtube]
so many ways it doesn't work to embed, oh well.
Nougat

Return to In The News