white suspects were attacked after being surrounded...

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby minnesotatv on Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:47 am

"A search warrant related to the shooting of five Black Lives Matter protesters in Minneapolis
reveals new details that may strengthen the case that the shooting was an act of self-defense
by white suspects who were being assaulted by black protesters."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... -shooting/
minnesotatv

Re: white suspects were attacked after being surrounded...

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:57 am

A self-defense case went out the window when they fled the scene and didn't call 911
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Ghost on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 am

Squib Joe wrote:A self-defense case went out the window when they fled the scene and didn't call 911

I haven't been following so just asking questions. Do we know they didn't call 911? Fleeing may seem reasonable in that situation.
Ghost

Postby Randygmn on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:49 am

This video is why it'll be determined self defense. The shooters were assaulted and faced with disparity of force.

http://youtu.be/2bO6g26m7tc

Not sure if it's the same video linked in the brietbart link.
Randygmn

Postby BBeckwith on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Ghost wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:A self-defense case went out the window when they fled the scene and didn't call 911

I haven't been following so just asking questions. Do we know they didn't call 911? Fleeing may seem reasonable in that situation.

The search warrant obtained by the Star Tribune says he reported the shooting to a Mankato Police officer, who he happened to have graduated school together. The timeline may show that it was after leaving the immediate vicinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby goalie on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:03 pm

While stupid, not reporting something does not mean that it wasn't self-defense.

Video testimony from BLM protesters who were there is available, and has been widely viewed. That video may make a better case than their own testimony ever could have.

Now, if these guys turn out to be the same guys posting racist crap on the net BEFORE the shooting, it will get very interesting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:09 pm

I didn't say it wasn't self defense. I said they ruined their self defense case by fleeing the scene and not immediately calling 911
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby DustinD on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:44 am

What does MN law require for making a self defense claim? Largely asking WRT the issue of reporting the incident to the police.

Sticking around next to the injured but not dead assailants would be borderline suicide, and could easily be seen as further provocation (if any really existed initially) or a threat. I would also argue that generally it would be safer to meet the police somewhere other than a crime scene, such as a nearby very public place. Might make the initial contact with police less tense and risky.

Even if Klan members in Klan hoods, or the WBC (westboro Baptist Church) had shown up they have a constitutionally protected right to counter protest. They would also have a legal and moral right to defend themselves if they were then attacked.
DustinD

Postby LePetomane on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:34 am

Why can't people stay home and not give BLM idiots an audience?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:08 am

These jackoffs lost all potential of a creditable self defense when they chose to show up at a racially charged, violent protest, wearing body armor, face masks and being armed.

They will be charged, and they will be convicted. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Hmac on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:09 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:These jackoffs lost all potential of a creditable self defense when they chose to show up at a racially charged, violent protest, wearing body armor, face masks and being armed.

They will be charged, and they will be convicted. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Sums it up exactly.
Hmac

Postby MJY65 on Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:53 am

Hmac wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:These jackoffs lost all potential of a creditable self defense when they chose to show up at a racially charged, violent protest, wearing body armor, face masks and being armed.

Sums it up exactly.

No kidding. I understand the "as much right to be there" argument, but it's still completely stupid to put yourself in that situation. I also SHOULD be able to walk through any neighborhood in North Minneapolis with hundred dollar bills hanging out of my pockets and not be bothered. I seriously doubt that would be the case.
MJY65

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 am

MJY65 wrote:
Hmac wrote:

Sums it up exactly.

No kidding. I understand the "as much right to be there" argument, but it's still completely stupid to put yourself in that situation. I also SHOULD be able to walk through any neighborhood in North Minneapolis with hundred dollar bills hanging out of my pockets and not be bothered. I seriously doubt that would be the case.

The use of lethal force laws in MN include derivitives of the word 'reasonable'.

What these clowns did appears to be akin to using fighting words.

Just because the protesters are being stupid doesn't allow one to be stupider.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:59 am

xd ED wrote:The use of lethal force laws in MN include derivitives of the word 'reasonable'.

What these clowns did appears to be akin to using fighting words.

Just because the protesters are being stupid doesn't allow one to be stupider.

Others here are better capable of arguing the nuances of the law, but I seem to remember the phrase "unwilling" or "reluctant participant" being bandied about around these pages.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 pm

I could see where it still could be self defense. Your status can change over the course of an event. If they attempted to disengage and get away and they were pursued, trapped, and attacked they may be able to claim self defense.

They were still stupid to go there in the first place and they will get to pay for their stupidity in legal expenses if not jail time.
Jackpine Savage

Next

Return to In The News