Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Postby TabulaRasa on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:17 am

Bad shoot.
TabulaRasa

Postby Nat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:38 am

atomic41 wrote:-IF this guy was a permit holder, he should have been taught that if you declare that you are carrying you should then ask the officer how to proceed and not reach for your gun. Do any of you know of a permit instructor that does not cover this? We don't know if he had a permit or not (girlfriend saying so on video means nothing), but if he did that was probably taught to him.

The only account we have at the moment indicates the driver informed the officer he was carrying, was asked to produce ID, and was shot when attempting to do so because he may have been reaching for a weapon. Bearing in mind that this video was taken seconds after the woman witnessed the events, and the psychological state of the officer (screaming only, words mostly consisting of f-bombs) stress impairs the likelyhood to recall events clearly - we honestly may never have a better account of the events that unfolded than this video. I'd love to see a dashcam vide emerge, with sound (does st anthony have dashcams with sound?) but this may be the most truthful and honest record of the shooting available. I grant the point, it's a completely subjective record - but I have far more faith in it than I have in whatever statement a team of lawyers and union reps craft and release in 6 months

atomic41 wrote:-The cop was not white...just throwing that out there early for the race pimps. In the video she called the cop "Chinese". So he was probably Hmong considering the location.

that's kind of a vast oversimplification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

atomic41 wrote:-We need body cameras!

totally would help, and I'm fairly confident it would support the police story FAR more frequently than it would conflict with it. There was a shooting in my home town last year, the court case is still pending, but the bodycam video showed that the officer was (IMHO) 100% justified in almost every action he made - didn't stop the media explosion and the protests. I get that there's a knee jerk reaction to this kind of event, and, honestly, I'm having a really profound "I'm glad messing up at my job doesn't mean someone gets killed" kinda day.
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:10 am

Am I the only one who thinks the woman is far too calm watching her "boyfriend" bleed out?

I know my lovely bride would be hysterical if I had just been shot sitting next to her.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby MJY65 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:17 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the woman is far too calm watching her "boyfriend" bleed out?

I know my lovely bride would be hysterical if I had just been shot sitting next to her.

She may not have realized how seriously he was wounded.
MJY65

Postby rtk on Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:38 am

There are two sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. It is a tragic situation and it is a powder keg...The only ones that will ever know what went down are the ones involved. See what happens, hopefully cooler heads prevail.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Ghost on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:03 am

MJY65 wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the woman is far too calm watching her "boyfriend" bleed out?

She may not have realized how seriously he was wounded.

She said he was dead at the beginning, didn't she?
Ghost

Postby photogpat on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:05 am

Different people have different reactions to stress.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby atomic41 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:23 am

Nat wrote:
atomic41 wrote:-IF this guy was a permit holder, he should have been taught that if you declare that you are carrying you should then ask the officer how to proceed and not reach for your gun. Do any of you know of a permit instructor that does not cover this? We don't know if he had a permit or not (girlfriend saying so on video means nothing), but if he did that was probably taught to him.

The only account we have at the moment indicates the driver informed the officer he was carrying, was asked to produce ID, and was shot when attempting to do so because he may have been reaching for a weapon. Bearing in mind that this video was taken seconds after the woman witnessed the events, and the psychological state of the officer (screaming only, words mostly consisting of f-bombs) stress impairs the likelyhood to recall events clearly - we honestly may never have a better account of the events that unfolded than this video. I'd love to see a dashcam vide emerge, with sound (does st anthony have dashcams with sound?) but this may be the most truthful and honest record of the shooting available. I grant the point, it's a completely subjective record - but I have far more faith in it than I have in whatever statement a team of lawyers and union reps craft and release in 6 months

atomic41 wrote:-The cop was not white...just throwing that out there early for the race pimps. In the video she called the cop "Chinese". So he was probably Hmong considering the location.

that's kind of a vast oversimplification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

My point is that if he was a permit holder, then there is a real strong chance that he was taught to do the exact opposite of what he did last night. If he was not a permit holder, then he lacks basic common sense by telling an officer he is armed then reaching for it when told not to.

The internet is exploding with false facts about this being a white cop shooting a black guy. I'm bringing it up because the race hustlers are trying to exploit it, I've even seen it referred to as "another KKK cop". I'm not oversimplifying anything, just setting the record straight that if she was right the cop is not white. It's just like the black kid that fell into the gorilla cage and social media went nuts about white privilege until they learned that the kid was actually black, not white.
atomic41

Postby captnviper on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:25 am

I really don't like that msm is reporting this with the shooting in Baton Rouge as if all shootings of black men are the same. This one appears on the surface to be negligents on the part of the officer and a poor decision by the deceased hindsight 20/20 and all.
"It's better to have a gun and need it then not have one and not need it" Ricky.
captnviper

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 am

My first impression it that this is another case of an officer giving conflicting directions. How do you ask somebody to keep their hands in the air and also produce their license?

According to the Washington Post, Diamond Reynolds said that he "said that he had a firearm as he was reaching for his wallet".

Number one rule when you're carrying - don't tell a cop you have a gun before at least qualifying it!

It hasn't been said here in a few years but ... who was his instructor?
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:51 am

Sorcerer wrote:Was the permit holder from MN or Indy?

The deceased is from Minnesota. He has worked for the school district for close to 15 years
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby INOR on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:54 am

Did anyone else think it looked like the officer continued to have his finger on the trigger AFTER the guy was shot while she was recording the video?
INOR

Postby george on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:18 pm

I've always told people to learn to carry there check book and wallet on the opposite side as there firearm. It takes a bit of time to get
used to it, but think. Also try to carry your ID and permit in your front pocket in a small card wallet and have the small wallet out before the
cop reaches the car if possible. I'm so use to it now it feels funny to do it any other way.

I'm at this time going with officer error, I think he over reacted combined with poor judgement, that may change but it don't look good to me.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby crbutler on Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:10 pm

If what is out there is true, the officer overreacted to something.

I don't get the cops being in war zone mode in a suburb for Pete's sake. Per the chief no shootings in over 30 years...

But I also wonder about the girlfriends behavior with video and Facebook, which sound so weird to me. Your SO gets shot and you log in to Facebook and start filming/running a commentary before they even give first aid? Abnormal reactions on both sides, so let the paid investigators figure it out.

This one will be fully investigated, and hopefully unlike some will be transparent and justice will be properly served.
crbutler

Postby greenfarmer on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 pm

Dayton is now saying its race related and that he would be alive today if he was white. Which is on the strib.

This whole thing, there are so many things that went wrong. In that woman's video, she said as her boyfriend was reaching back for his wallet to get his ID he said he had a weapon and is a permit carrier. Probably the wrong time to mention that you have a gun, when your in the act of reaching for your wallet.

In her video, she mentioned they had nothing in the car, "maybe a little weed" she mentioned. Well, who's weed? His? Hers? Who is a Mary Jane user? I'm sure the government and that form 4473 would like to know as well. Because if it was her boyfriends, and he is the user, then he lied on the 4473 to obtain a gun.

This whole situation stinks! Everything I've read, he was a good guy. Nothing major on his record, wasn't a trouble maker from what I've saw. And, if he wanted to cause any harm, hurt someone, or anything like that, then why was he honest towards the officer? He openly told him he had a gun, and a permit. Possibly at the wrong time, but the fact is he was attempting to do what was right in his mind, and to protect himself, the officer, and loved ones in his car.

The officer shot him 4 times, with a young child in the car. Total disregard for that child in the back of the car. Which must have been in a car seat behind his gf according to the video, which just by viewing the video, probably isn't the angle the officer should have been shooting at with a child in the back seat and in the line of fire.

At least since governor goofy is saying there is a race factor in this, atleast it wasn't a white officer shooting an African American!
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

PreviousNext

Return to In The News