Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Postby silvor on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:09 am

Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but is there a reason the officer was facing the driver? Everytime I've been pulled over going back to the 80's, the LEO stays behind me. And I know it's TV, but the stuff I see on TV seems to indicate the same. Pretty hard to shoot a LEO that way I would think?
silvor

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:53 am

silvor wrote:Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but is there a reason the officer was facing the driver? Everytime I've been pulled over going back to the 80's, the LEO stays behind me. And I know it's TV, but the stuff I see on TV seems to indicate the same. Pretty hard to shoot a LEO that way I would think?

Interesting you ask...
Gun Activist Says He Warned PD Involved In Philando Castile Shooting About Shady Traffic Stops - ThinkProgress

About two years ago, Joe Olson was pulled over by a St. Anthony Police Department squad car for running a red light in Falcon Heights, the same Twin Cities suburb where Philando Castile was shot to death by a cop Wednesday evening. Olson put his hands on the steering wheel and waited for the officer to approach his driver’s side window when he heard a voice emanate from behind his head.
“I heard this voice with a tremor of fear in it. Actually, it scared me. Is this a scared cop?” Olson told ThinkProgress. “And he’s standing three feet behind my bumper interviewing me through the outside rear-view mirror, which is really weird, and he sounds terrified. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that has tinted windows, so he can’t see in the vehicle very well, he can’t see my hands at all, and he conducts the entire interview through my rear-view mirror.”
Olson said he “could’ve had somebody sitting in the back seat with a rifle” and the cop wouldn’t have been able to tell. He added that the officer’s unusual demeanor “made me afraid, and he was incompetent, and that made me more afraid.”
About six months later, Olson — a retired Minnesota law professor who played a key role in drafting Minnesota’s firearms permit law and now serves as the chairman of the Minnesota Gun Owners Civil Rights Alliance — scheduled an appointment with St. Anthony Police Department Chief John Ohl to share his concerns. (The city of Falcon Heights contracts with the St. Anthony PD for police services.) But Olson said Chief Ohl didn’t take him seriously.
“He blew off my report — wasn’t interested,” Olson recalled. “I said, ‘I think you have a training problem, and if you don’t fix it, you’re going to have a bigger problem....'”
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:56 am

I want to point out that we don't know that Philando Castile had a carry permit. All we know is that Diamond Reynolds said he had a carry permit. But then, she also said he was driving, and the pictures clearly show him in the passenger seat.

There does seem to be some evidence that Castile was a member of the Crips, and at least associated with the Crips:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/the-curious-case-of-philando-castile-falcon-heights-mn-police-shooting/

That doesn't mean he didn't have a carry permit, or that he wasn't entirely blameless in the shooting.

But it does mean we shouldn't jump to conclusions.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:03 am

jdege wrote:I want to point out that we don't know that Philando Castile had a carry permit. All we know is that Diamond Reynolds said he had a carry permit. But then, she also said he was driving, and the pictures clearly show him in the passenger seat.

There does seem to be some evidence that Castile was a member of the Crips, and at least associated with the Crips:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/the-curious-case-of-philando-castile-falcon-heights-mn-police-shooting/

That doesn't mean he didn't have a carry permit, or that he wasn't entirely blameless in the shooting.

That he 'appears' to be in the passenger seat is an issue with the phone's forward-facing camera reversing the image.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:06 am

jdege wrote:I want to point out that we don't know that Philando Castile had a carry permit. All we know is that Diamond Reynolds said he had a carry permit. But then, she also said he was driving, and the pictures clearly show him in the passenger seat.

Apparently with the video being taken from the phone's front camera it reversed the image. He was not in the passenger seat. Watch the video and you can see the steering wheel. Or maybe this is all a scam and the video was taken over in England with a right-hand-drive car...
Last edited by BigBlue on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigBlue

Postby Nat on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:08 am

Oh, see, I've spent the last 40 years thinking crips was a street gang originating in los angeles and spreading across the nation in a criminal enterprise emulating franchising in an effort to sell LOTS of drugs to people, making billions in the process, and because they exist outside any form of legal recourse they take grievances in to their own hands sometimes ending in kidnapping, murder, or extortion.

But no sweat guys - turns out crips is actually an 18 person facebook group who's members include this one guy who served school lunches for 14 years...

Or am I to take the exactly ZERO photos of him making a gang sign as some kind of evidence he was an ELITE member of the actual crips? like... one that was so crip he didn't even have to front as a crip?

I mean - OBVIOUSLY he was no angel - there are two pictures of liquor... and he's even IN one of them - how this guy managed to pass a background check I'll never understand!

This is trash news, and for the record - the video is flipped horizontally.
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Postby jdege on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:15 am

All I'm saying is we should wait until we see evidence that he has a permit before we assume Reynolds was telling the truth.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:24 am

jdege wrote:All I'm saying is we should wait until we see evidence that he has a permit before we assume Reynolds was telling the truth.

How does him having/ not having a PTC factor into what happened?
He either had a permit, or she(and possibly he) lied about it. It appears he was shot before that determination was made. And if had been determined: so what.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Nat on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:25 am

jdege wrote:All I'm saying is we should wait until we see evidence that he has a permit before we assume Reynolds was telling the truth.

I actually think you just implied the guy was a gang member, and offered information in support of the claim that actually debunks itself ( if you bother clicking the supplied links) and then you asked us to wait for more evidence...
Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:01 am

TabulaRasa wrote:
xd ED wrote:Or, we could wait until some facts are actually established before drawing conclusions

OK:

Late Thursday night, the authorities said Mr. Castile, a 32-year-old cafeteria supervisor at a St. Paul school, had been killed by multiple gunshot wounds, and the medical examiner ruled his death a homicide. State investigators identified the officer who shot him as Jeronimo Yanez, a four-year veteran of the St. Anthony Police Department.

Homicide occurs when one human being causes the death of another human being.[1] Homicides can be divided into many overlapping types, including murder, manslaughter, justifiable homicide, killing in war, euthanasia, and execution, depending on the circumstances of the death. These different types of homicides are often treated very differently in human societies; some are considered crimes, while others are permitted or even ordered by the legal system.

Just becuase the ME rules homicide it does not mean the man was murdered!
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:36 am

TabulaRasa wrote:
xd ED wrote:Or, we could wait until some facts are actually established before drawing conclusions

OK:

Late Thursday night, the authorities said Mr. Castile, a 32-year-old cafeteria supervisor at a St. Paul school, had been killed by multiple gunshot wounds, and the medical examiner ruled his death a homicide. State investigators identified the officer who shot him as Jeronimo Yanez, a four-year veteran of the St. Anthony Police Department.

Exactly as I suspected :?
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 am

So I got a warning for posting a picture of Carl in the Walking Dead tv show a while back but it's ok to post a picture of a guy really bleeding out?

Not pointed at you jdege just pointing out some silliness
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:58 am

silvor wrote:Forgive me if this has already been brought up, but is there a reason the officer was facing the driver? Everytime I've been pulled over going back to the 80's, the LEO stays behind me. And I know it's TV, but the stuff I see on TV seems to indicate the same. Pretty hard to shoot a LEO that way I would think?

It's a tactic that can be used when there are multiple people in the vehicle and only one or two officers contacting the vehicle. Instead of facing forward with people outside of periphery, you are instead facing everyone and using the A-pillar for your cover.

The other reason is for traffic safety in a high-traffic area where you would have concern for watching approaching traffic.
It is a tactic that is falling more and more out of favor, but it's still around.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby atomic41 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:18 pm

So as the facts come in, will any of you judge/jury/executioners change your minds? :roll: Turns out they were pulled over because they fit the description of armed robbers. If you are pulling them over, and there is a chance that they are recent violent criminals and one of them announces they have a gun and is now going for it, what would you super tier 21 Navy Seal ninjas do different? http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scann ... /267042738
atomic41

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:24 pm

He did have a Minnesota permit to carry
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

PreviousNext

Return to In The News