Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Evolving, apparenly officer involved shooting

Postby Stugotz on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:26 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Just noticed something. He was a passenger in the car. Why was he getting his license out?

Watch the video again. He was the driver. 10 seconds into the video you can see him positioned in front of the steering wheel. Video was flipped...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmsEpThasYg&oref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGmsEpThasYg&has_verified=1
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:58 am

Must have watched it wrong yesterday. Didn't catch the steering wheel. Thanks
Bearcatrp

Postby jdege on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:28 pm

goosed wrote:
goett047 wrote:Or is it evidence of the cops harassing people of color?

Harassing? ... it's possible, but it's also possible the media is trying to sell you on hatred/division... Hate and sex are always big sellers... not that the media would ever try to push a certain side of a story or agenda for that matter that furthers their ideals and/or ratings... or would they?

He was found and/or plead guilty how many times? Could be possible the cops were just doing their jobs and enforcing the laws?

AutomaticAronA wrote: And you truly don't believe you're grasping at straws looking for a reason to justify the officers decision to fire his weapon into a car with a toddler in the back seat? Really? You're entitled to your opinion but cmon.

Clearly you've made up your mind, but for me there are still too many details unknown at this point for me to draw clear cut conclusions yet... clearly I'm not as smart as you or Dayton who know all the answers right away

My initial take on this was that if he was a permit holder, the odds he was doing something wrong were minuscule. Then I saw reports that he'd been affiliated with the crips, and that Ramsey County said they'd big issued him a carry permit.

Then we have the Strib saying that "sources" had confirmed that he had had a carry permit.

At this point, I think there are a lot of people on both sides trying to drive the narrative, and pretty much nobody in the media interested in finding the proof.

And my position is the same. There are conflicting reports, and it's way too early to jump to conclusions.
jdege

Postby goett047 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:38 pm

atomic41 wrote:Well it sure as hell looks like the same guy that robbed that store with possibly the same gun:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... -killings/

The Ramsey Co Sheriffs Dept confirmed that they did not issue him a PTC. Is this guy still "one of our own"? with "no criminal background"? LOL

The girlfriend is changing her story like crazy.

The Ramsey County Sheriff's office did not issue me a PTC, yet I have one.
goett047

Postby goett047 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:44 pm

captnviper wrote:https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2016/07/08/confirmed-philando-castile-was-an-armed-robbery-suspect-false-media-narrative-now-driving-cop-killings/
Looks like more than a nose, but not the same guy. Just explains the cop being all trigger happy I guess.Also says he didnt have a ptc.

http://www.snopes.com/philando-castile- ... d-robbery/
goett047

Postby xd ED on Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:45 pm

jdege wrote:My initial take on this was that if he was a permit holder, the odds he was doing something wrong were minuscule. Then I saw reports that he'd been affiliated with the crips, and that Ramsey County said they'd big issued him a carry permit.

Then we have the Strib saying that "sources" had confirmed that he had had a carry permit.

At this point, I think there are a lot of people on both sides trying to drive the narrative, and pretty much nobody in the media interested in finding the proof.

And my position is the same. There are conflicting reports, and it's way too early to jump to conclusions.

He apparently got his permit through Henn Cty as a Robinsdale resident.
The sources being his family.
(which begs a question in my mind , did he update his address)
none of which is relevant to what happened that night.
Whether he had a permit, or not; or if the cop knew he had a permit, or not - are minuscule to his actions, and the officer's interpretation of those actions.

The cop's attorney has issued a statement saying the cop saw the guys gun before shooting him.
This doesn't contradict the woman's version of events that the guy was reaching for his wallet when he was shot, nor the cop's version that he warned the guy before shooting.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby goett047 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:24 pm

xd ED wrote:
jdege wrote:My initial take on this was that if he was a permit holder, the odds he was doing something wrong were minuscule. Then I saw reports that he'd been affiliated with the crips, and that Ramsey County said they'd big issued him a carry permit.

Whether he had a permit, or not; or if the cop knew he had a permit, or not - are minuscule to his actions, and the officer's interpretation of those actions.

The cop's attorney has issued a statement saying the cop saw the guys gun before shooting him.
This doesn't contradict the woman's version of events that the guy was reaching for his wallet when he was shot, nor the cop's version that he warned the guy before shooting.

Dumb to issue any statement other than that they are cooperating with the investigation, in my opinion. Also the more I hear about that particular department leads me to believe that there was a training problem as well as a possible profiling problem.
goett047

Postby BigBlue on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:55 pm

If he was stopped by police so many times in recent years for traffic infractions shouldn't he have been an expert in dealing with cops re: notification about his permit & gun by now? Or, on the flip side: With that many interactions the stats were bound to catch up to him sometime and lead to an issue like this.
BigBlue

Postby goett047 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:02 pm

BigBlue wrote:If he was stopped by police so many times in recent years for traffic infractions shouldn't he have been an expert in dealing with cops re: notification about his permit & gun by now? Or, on the flip side: With that many interactions the stats were bound to catch up to him sometime and lead to an issue like this.

Or maybe he did everything right and the cop screwed up.
goett047

Postby xd ED on Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:31 pm

goett047 wrote:
BigBlue wrote:If he was stopped by police so many times in recent years for traffic infractions shouldn't he have been an expert in dealing with cops re: notification about his permit & gun by now? Or, on the flip side: With that many interactions the stats were bound to catch up to him sometime and lead to an issue like this.

That might well be the case, that the cop screwed up.
But it appears, by his girlfriends own statement the victim made some serious mistakes.

And from what's been presented thus far, nothing condemns the cop, or exonerates the victim.

It would appear the guy's general behavior and specific actions contributed to the escalation.
He, for whatever reason, while driving, attracted the attention of the police, far more than most.
His girlfriend has been quoted saying he told the cop he had a gun and permit as he reached for his wallet.
If it's true that the cop also saw the gun, as the guy moved his hands toward it's location, coincidental to the location of his wallet, no good could become of that.
From what the cop is heard saying, what his lawyer said, and what the women said - these don't contradict each other, and don't condemn the cop.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby AutomaticAron on Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:47 pm

goett047 wrote:

This is the problem. That possibility appears to be off the table for some people.
"The best tactical add-on is 10,000 rounds of practice ammo" -Hickok45
AutomaticAron

Postby Nat on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:14 pm

Secrets are the opposite of Freedoms
Nat

Postby MWAG on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:26 pm

xd ED wrote:

I picked up on this as well. Side question: if one did move counties, besides the petty misd., are there any other repocussions for not notifying or obtaining a new PTC with your new address?

Besides not being able to buy more guns, does it nullify your permit?
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Postby xd ED on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:35 pm

MWAG wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I picked up on this as well. Side question: if one did move counties, besides the petty misd., are there any other repocussions for not notifying or obtaining a new PTC with your new address?

Besides not being able to buy more guns, does it nullify your permit?

I believe the procedure is to update the permit with the issuing dept within 30 days; if not, I THINK it becomes invalid. From what I've read, no FFL will deal with someone who's info doesn't jibe.
I should have been paying attention in class, but as moving didn't/ doesn't seem in the cards, I missed it.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Nat wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/08/castile_shooting_police_deletion/

Probably a UFO :roll:

I'm pretty sure Facebook can confirm or deny this tale.

So, if her story is true, there are some A versions, and b versions out there; given local media recorded it before Facebook first took it down, they will likely step up and confirm or deny her allegations, correct?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

PreviousNext

Return to In The News