State Fair Increases Security & Checks

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Postby LarryP on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:25 pm

Looks like you guys who want to carry at the fair better be careful!!

http://www.startribune.com/state-fair-t ... 390307891/
LarryP

Re: State Fair Increases Security & Checks

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:49 pm

Man that's lame. It sounds like we will still be OK, just don't put your gun in a bag or purse. I would imagine all they can do is ask you to leave anyway.

Can somebody post an update after the fair opens? I plan on going but plan on carrying. If they end up having metal detectors I will likely skip.
Sigfan220

Postby MJY65 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Might have more to do with the BLM crowd than ISIS. I doubt they'll pass up an opportunity to protest right across the street from the site of their latest cause.
MJY65

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:52 pm

Can they legally make the entire State Fair Grounds a "Gun Free Zone" and prevent Legal Conceal Carry? It seems that the "sellers" at the fair are "tenants" and the fair grounds are public property?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Lumpy on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:20 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Can they legally make the entire State Fair Grounds a "Gun Free Zone" and prevent Legal Conceal Carry? It seems that the "sellers" at the fair are "tenants" and the fair grounds are public property?

Many, many previous threads on this subject. Long story short, if it ain't legal they can nonetheless get away with it. (Nothing like having your own police force to enforce the law your way).
Lumpy

Postby george on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Well, guess were not going, not driving and chancing being asked to leave.
Look how much I saved.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Scratch on Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:
Can somebody post an update after the fair opens? I plan on going but plan on carrying. If they end up having metal detectors I will likely skip.

+1
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Hmac on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Can they legally make the entire State Fair Grounds a "Gun Free Zone" and prevent Legal Conceal Carry? It seems that the "sellers" at the fair are "tenants" and the fair grounds are public property?

Well, no they can't. We should file a complaint. I'm sure it will be acted on promptly.
Hmac

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:08 am

Aren't the streets within the Fairgrounds public thoroughfares paid for with tax dollars?
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby chopper on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:44 am

Kinda funny that they make it gun free when they host the biggest gun shows in the state a few times during the year.
chopper

Postby ex-LT on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:40 am

chopper wrote:Kinda funny that they make it gun free when they host the biggest gun shows in the state a few times during the year.

You need to take that beef up with the Minnesota Weapons Collector's Association, they're the ones who set the gun free policy at the gun shows, not the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby chopper on Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:01 pm

ex-LT wrote:
chopper wrote:Kinda funny that they make it gun free when they host the biggest gun shows in the state a few times during the year.

You need to take that beef up with the Minnesota Weapons Collector's Association, they're the ones who set the gun free policy at the gun shows, not the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.

You misunderstood what I said, The fair grounds are posted with no guns during the fair But they have gun shows on the same grounds with guns coming and going. No beef with MWCA
chopper

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:52 pm

chopper wrote:
ex-LT wrote:

You misunderstood what I said, The fair grounds are posted with no guns during the fair But they have gun shows on the same grounds with guns coming and going. No beef with MWCA

Sounds to me like MWCA should not be patronizing a place that is posted, regardless of whether they choose to make their trade show events carry free or not...
gun_fan111v2

Postby Randygmn on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:20 pm

You misunderstood what I said, The fair grounds are posted with no guns during the fair But they have gun shows on the same grounds with guns coming and going. No beef with MWCA[/quote]

Sounds to me like MWCA should not be patronizing a place that is posted, regardless of whether they choose to make their trade show events carry free or not...[/quote]

Ding ding ding.

These folks could learn a thing or two from Ronnie Barrett.
Randygmn

Postby Grappler on Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:59 am

I posted this in the other "state fair carry issues thread" but I'll post it here too.

http://www.kare11.com/entertainment/eve ... /299489980

According to this no metal detectors are being installed.
Grappler

Next

Return to In The News