Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:32 am

Sleeveless t-shirt. .........
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Squib Joe on Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:25 am

To anyone planning on selling their guns to this buyback - I would encourage you to have a means to record video or audio of the process in case there are any shenanigans
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby atomic41 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:41 am

Squib Joe wrote:To anyone planning on selling their guns to this buyback - I would encourage you to have a means to record video or audio of the process in case there are any shenanigans

I plan to sell some guns. What type of shenanigans do you anticipate?
atomic41

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:57 pm

atomic41 wrote:
Squib Joe wrote:To anyone planning on selling their guns to this buyback - I would encourage you to have a means to record video or audio of the process in case there are any shenanigans

I plan to sell some guns. What type of shenanigans do you anticipate?

Probably nothing, but I want some documentation if they refuse to take my guns or try to give me less than advertised. I'd also want a record of who exactly is working there. And a receipt.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Joat on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:27 pm

So who is planning on going down to try to buy? I'm going to try and go I'll probably head to Station 14 its less of a drive for me.
"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret" Breda
Joat

Postby photogpat on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 am

Joat wrote:So who is planning on going down to try to buy? I'm going to try and go I'll probably head to Station 14 its less of a drive for me.

I'm going to try and hit the one in North.

I've got a slamfire shotty ($100), a busty rusty Enfield sporter (that'll still fire, hence $200) and a .22 pistol ($200) that looks really shady.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Sorcerer on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:39 am

I understand wanting to take these fools money. But why would you want to make these fools numbers look like a success full buy back. I would think that crickets chirpping as the politicians, and news mongers try to make hay out of this buy back would be the real optimum out come.
Sorcerer

Postby photogpat on Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:35 am

Sorcerer wrote:I understand wanting to take these fools money. But why would you want to make these fools numbers look like a success full buy back. I would think that crickets chirpping as the politicians, and news mongers try to make hay out of this buy back would be the real optimum out come.

The message is that it's a waste of money since they're not getting their target audience. I have my statement all prepared for the media which will be present too...
photogpat

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:30 am

+1

Should anyone ask, I'm going to make sure they know I'm going to turn around and use the cash to buy a new firearm with a higher capacity, bayonet lug, and "shoulder thing that goes up"
Squib Joe

Postby photogpat on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:40 am

Squib Joe wrote:+1

Should anyone ask, I'm going to make sure they know I'm going to turn around and use the cash to buy a new firearm with a higher capacity, bayonet lug, and "shoulder thing that goes up"

I want to make sure to buy the most evil thing possible...
photogpat

Postby xd ED on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:08 am

Lots of opportunities from buyback programs:

Pro-gun group uses Chicago firearms buyback program to fund shooting camp for kids

A pro-gun group claims it flipped the script on Chicago's firearms buyback program by selling old, broken rifles to the city and then using the money to buy guns and ammo for an NRA-sponsored shooting camp for kids.

"Guns Save Life," based in Champaign, Ill., recently sold 60 firearms to the Chicago Police Department -- 10 of which were manufactured before 1898 -- in exchange for $6,240 in gift cards, according to group president John Boch. The sale also included five BB guns and a rickety pump-action shotgun that was held together by duct tape and zip ties, he said.

"They recognized it for the junk it was," Boch said of the sale. "At one of the locations, one of the detectives was very tenacious ... And hit the guys with a flurry of questions like 'Where the hell did you get these, from a graveyard?' "
July 10, 2012
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:35 am

Uffdaphil wrote:Ooh, I like. I expect the ar won"t need sights to qualify. I wonder if it needs the BCG and CH installed? I have a junk barrel and gas block and cheesy stock Colt pistol grip and cheap plastic rail.

Sounds like an assault weapon to me!
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby americos on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:41 pm

https://www.facebook.com/events/1237549132924843/
NO QUESTIONS ASKED!
Turn in UNLOADED firearms in exchange for Visa gift cards. Limit 3 weapons per person.
Compensation will be given in Visa Gift Cards in the following amounts. (NOTE: When gift cards run out, we are unable to offer any further compensation. You are still welcome to turn in a firearm without compensation. )
americos

Postby bstrawse on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Anyone who goes and shoots video, photos, audio, or runs into any issues, please report them to the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus.

E-mail: contact@gunowners.mn

Thanks ;)
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Randygmn on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:00 am

americos wrote:https://www.facebook.com/events/1237549132924843/
NO QUESTIONS ASKED!
Turn in UNLOADED firearms in exchange for Visa gift cards. Limit 3 weapons per person.
Compensation will be given in Visa Gift Cards in the following amounts. (NOTE: When gift cards run out, we are unable to offer any further compensation. You are still welcome to turn in a firearm without compensation. )

They could "run out" of Visa cards after the first person shows up. I'd love to see or hear the police pitch they are going to use/intimidate folks to turn their guns in AFTER they run out of cards.

And what about those that just show up with pistols in a brown paper bag? Are they going to start arresting people for carrying concealed without a permit?
Randygmn

PreviousNext

Return to In The News