Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Postby atomic41 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:39 am

Now they have a limit posted of 3 dang. I'll have to get help or make a few trips wearing different clothes.
atomic41

Postby Ghost on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:19 am

atomic41 wrote:Now they have a limit posted of 3 dang. I'll have to get help or make a few trips wearing different clothes.

Glad you will work so hard to make a gun buy back a success. The news stations will rejoice. :?
Ghost

Postby americos on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:39 am

300 only for sks, ak,ar.
The righteous will rejoice when he sees the vengeance;
he will bathe his feet in the blood of the wicked.
americos

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:12 am

They took four from me including an "AR" for $300 ... a Charter Arms AR-7 parts gun with a stripped barrel nut :D

The cops there did a great job. No issues at all except for a late start.

Every single person in line was one of us
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby americos on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:42 am

They give me nothing for air soft BB gun :roll:
americos

Postby atomic41 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Squib Joe wrote:They took four from me including an "AR" for $300 ... a Charter Arms AR-7 parts gun with a stripped barrel nut :D

The cops there did a great job. No issues at all except for a late start.

Every single person in line was one of us

Which one did you go to? I went to the south one. They ran out of money in 20 minutes so maybe the first 15 people got paid. We then stood for two hours while the looney do gooders ran to get more cards. They came back after 2 hours and gave us IOUs basically. We put down our address and they are going to mail them out. Were you the guy with the M&P .22lr? If so I was a few behind you. You were probably the last guy to get paid.

I stood there for those 2 hrs talking to the officers and they didn't know the rules so the first few people had no limits enforced. The officers didn't care about any of this and made plenty of jokes about how silly it was. A guy turned in a homemade slide fire 12 ga. made out of pipe and a 2x4. The officers thought it was hilarious.
atomic41

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:43 pm

atomic41 wrote:Which one did you go to? I went to the south one. They ran out of money in 20 minutes so maybe the first 15 people got paid.

I was at the south location. I got there early and was the third person in line. If that stack of 25 dollar cards was all they had I'm not surprised they ran out, it was probably less than five grand.
Last edited by Squib Joe on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby northerner1 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:01 pm

From the Star Trib
After strong response, gun buyback closes early in Minneapolis
The retrieved weapons will be decommissioned and given to artists who will create works about the impact of gun violence.

http://www.startribune.com/gun-buyback- ... 391496081/
northerner1

Postby Uffdaphil on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:35 pm

I showed up at the E. 38th st. fire station at 12:30. Incompetence is the word of the day. About 15 people with guns in line not moving. The cops said they were out of gift cards and more were on the way. A half dozen guys had been waiting two hours for cards so apparently they only brought enough for a half hour of turn-ins. About 12:45 they said no more cards were coming and we could either sign up to have payment mailed to us or just give up the guns for nothing.

I saw only two anti-2A people. One refused to sell his shotgun to a guy in line for the same price he would have gotten, and turned it in for nothing. Another turned in an AK for $300 and volunteered several mags and the rounds for them. Most everyone else brought their cheapos or malfunctioning trash. The light blue short (city?) cop was flagging the line continually as he checked for loads. Other guy in black cleared safely.

I pulled the good barrel, gas block and tube, sights, muzzle device, charging handle, bolt carrier group, and Sig brace from my AR pistol. The lower was a cheapo with cross threaded grip. I added a barrel with problem chamber and no gas block or muzzle device. Wrapped painters tape around muzzle threads to fit a black plastic cap I had sitting around. Had the CH and a cheap BCG with me in case they got picky, but no problem. They hesitated to state the amount when I said it was an AR pistol but went the full $300 when I said the magic words- assualt weapon.

They closed the doors and turned away all around one o'clock. So unless they re-opened after I left, gonna be a lot of angry voters showing up for the last five stated hours.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:16 pm

Was number 10 in line at the south buy-back they ran out of cards with #11. I had $600 with three guns. When I got up to them they had $300 dollars left. I asked for a receipt for my weapons and they said "no", no receipt! They only had $25.00 cards when they started and were out by 10:15. After telling us they would mail us gift cards I asked for my weapons back and again they said "no". Again everyone in line was one of us for the most part - felt sorry for the coppers working the circus, they got the brunt of the anger.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby Joat on Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:47 pm

I was at station 14, mostly gun people selling junk, I bought some of the more interesting junk after they ran out of cards, and 2 air pistols from a nice older lady as I was leaving.
"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret" Breda
Joat

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:00 pm

wasfuzz wrote:After telling us they would mail us gift cards I asked for my weapons back and again they said "no".

That doesn't seem legal at all, especially if they haven't given you a receipt. Even in cases of judicial forfeiture, law enforcement is required to provide a receipt. If they haven't done so, I would argue that it is still your property. ( MN 609.531 subd. 4(b) )
Squib Joe

Postby photogpat on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:18 pm

The guy with the "AK" was a badly rusted SKS in a plastic pistol stock.

Nothing else to see here.
Last edited by photogpat on Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Uffdaphil on Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:26 pm

photogpat wrote:The guy with the "AK" was a badly rusted SKS in a plastic pistol stock.

I bought his National Postal Meter M1 Carbine in the broken plastic stock. I win.

image.jpeg

Nice score!
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby 870TC on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Went to the South one, bunch of middle aged white guys that didn't go to a gun show this weekend :lol:
Felt safe until the firearms were in the hands of the police... entire crowd was swept several times by MPD... but it was "ok" as the weapons had been cleared :roll:
870TC

PreviousNext

Return to In The News