Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Gun buy back in Minneapolis

Postby Sorcerer on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Great job guys. Channel 5 just reported a very successful gun buy back. Great fodder for the antis. You made this look like a great happening to the uninformed. You made this a great media event when it should of been a non news event.
Sorcerer

Postby Squib Joe on Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:31 pm

All of the reports I've seen made the event look popular, but also unorganized and ineffective.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby gbono23 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:11 pm

I was first inline. Arrived around9:30. When 10 o'clock showed we had to wait until two officers showed up to actually take possession on the guns. I had an old (we bought it in 1974 for $100) Remington semi-auto 30.06. They wanted to give me $200;for it but I pointed out it was semi-auto and had a removable magazine, but it wasn't small caliber so we agreed to spit the difference. When I left at 10:25 there were probably 25 people behind me. I ended up with $250 and was more than happy!
gbono23

Postby Ghost on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:40 pm

gbono23 wrote:I was first inline. Arrived around9:30. When 10 o'clock showed we had to wait until two officers showed up to actually take possession on the guns. I had an old (we bought it in 1974 for $100) Remington semi-auto 30.06. They wanted to give me $200;for it but I pointed out it was semi-auto and had a removable magazine, but it wasn't small caliber so we agreed to spit the difference. When I left at 10:25 there were probably 25 people behind me. I ended up with $250 and was more than happy!

And what was the gun really worth? $100 in 1974 is not a good estimate of its current value.
Ghost

Postby gbono23 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Put it this way I tried to trade it in and they told me the o my thing I could do with it was stand it in the corner. They wouldn't even take it!
gbono23

Postby photogpat on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:49 pm

Sorcerer wrote:Great job guys. Channel 5 just reported a very successful gun buy back. Great fodder for the antis. You made this look like a great happening to the uninformed. You made this a great media event when it should of been a non news event.

That would have happened regardless, you understand how media spins works right?

Besides, fully 99% of Twin Cities area gun owners aren't on this forum...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby gbono23 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:50 pm

Put it this way I tried to trade it in and they told me the o my thing I could do with it was stand it in the corner. They wouldn't even take it!
gbono23

Postby Uffdaphil on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:25 pm

Anyone know the story of the 2x4 long gun at the south-side station? I did not get close look, but it appeared to be a plain board with 2" cut off 2/3 lengthwise and a shotgun or rifle barrel affixed and some sort of firing mechanism. I sure hope the giant zip-gun artist got some loot from it.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby photogpat on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:27 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:Anyone know the story of the 2x4 long gun at the south-side station? I did not get close look, but it appeared to be a plain board with 2" cut off 2/3 lengthwise and a shotgun or rifle barrel affixed and some sort of firing mechanism. I sure hope the giant zip-gun artist got some loot from it.

I know for a fact that guy got a $100 gift card for the slam fire shotgun.

image.png
photogpat

Postby Sorcerer on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:13 pm

The guy that was interviewed on 5 news is a pro 2a activist. They may rerun that at 10:00 pm. His interview came off as some old guy doing the this great thing by turning in his guns. This sight is not only pro gun sight in mn. Just by the accounts here it sounds as though there were a hole lot of pro gun people trying to stick it to MPLS. Again what should of been" 6 guns turned in" ended up being " a great success , we ran it of money, had to close down early". That means the antis get a perceived win. Now if you can and I doute one can, get some news coverage of some one turning the money received into a functioning fire arm or ammo this hole buy back thing would be Sean for what it is.
Sorcerer

Postby PileDriver on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:34 am

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/29/mi ... s-say.html

You guys see that this thread was quoted/linked?
PileDriver

Postby Sorcerer on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:51 am

And now we/ you will be portrayed as the villen by the antis. You /we will be sead to have screwed up a program that would " save the children". O well, carry on.
Sorcerer

Postby photogpat on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:21 pm

I, for one, welcome all our anti-gun friends.
photogpat

Postby Erud on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Sorcerer wrote:And now we/ you will be portrayed as the villen by the antis. You /we will be sead to have screwed up a program that would " save the children". O well, carry on.

Not to mention terrible at spelling... :cogitating:
Erud

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Any open minded person in the middle who reads that article and checks out this thread can conclude two things:

1. The buy-back program is not effective. Junk and defective guns not the tools of gun violence.
2. There is a statistically insignificant number of gun owning liberals willing to give them up.

I call that a net positive.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

PreviousNext

Return to In The News