St. Cloud Mall stabbing

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: St. Cloud Mall stabbing

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:25 am

as a former mall security officer, I often found myself in situations that were best addressed by a fully sworn law enforcement officers. We did what we could with what we had and felt fortunate that we were allowed to carry the 4 D Cell Maglights and radios to summon help - I had physical stature, bar bouncer experience and enough street smarts and skills to know where to draw the line. That role is a visual deterrent to marginally disruptive criminal and minor issues - shop lifting, loitering etc. If your lucky you have Paul Blart on patrol, he at least cared, wanted to do his job and might be stupid enough to insert himself into a situation he is not qualified to handle. Asking a Polyester Clad Mall Cop to function as a first response to premeditated violence is inconsistent with what most basic security agency train for and more importantly, what those employees signed up for.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:30 am

Citiot wrote:

A side note, I stopped at the Eagan Outlet mall on Saturday night and on my way back to my car there were Muslims in the parking lot on prayer rugs praying, I hadn't seen this before. They were praying towards the airport. I thought east was the correct direction?

This shows the "great circle" direction to Mecca. Around here it is NE.

http://qib.la/

Yep, got educated on that when a cab driver who dropped me off in my driveway from the airport asked me if it was OK that he prayed. I told him I didn't have a problem with it. As he set up, I off handedly mentioned that I though East was that way and he thanked me and oriented himself - not E.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Citiot on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:34 am

as a former mall security officer....

I used to do loss prevention. Young and dumb. Man was it fun though.

As I got older, I became very chicken (smart) and if I had *any* thought that there was going to be trouble, I would radio the local police to be there when I made a shoplifting arrest. Sometimes the response was totally overkill i.e. 4 squad cars, 8 cops and 20 mall security officers.... but, better safe than sorry.

Cops didn't care as the shoplifter might be up to other bad things... drugs, car full of stolen stuff from other stores, etc.
Citiot

Postby Ghost on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:47 am

Citiot wrote:

A side note, I stopped at the Eagan Outlet mall on Saturday night and on my way back to my car there were Muslims in the parking lot on prayer rugs praying, I hadn't seen this before. They were praying towards the airport. I thought east was the correct direction?

This shows the "great circle" direction to Mecca. Around here it is NE.

http://qib.la/

I thought that might be the answer but they still weren't pointing NE.
Ghost

Postby Erud on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:54 am

LePetomane wrote:
Citiot wrote:Yes, this is a bit of a grumpy comment, and the off duty police officer is a hero, but we all know the Animal Farm quote.

Tell us the quote and maybe I will leave.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
Erud

Postby Lumpy on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm

They make "Mecca is that way" apps now.
Lumpy

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:39 pm

Citiot wrote:
as a former mall security officer....

I used to do loss prevention. Young and dumb. Man was it fun though.

As I got older, I became very chicken (smart) and if I had *any* thought that there was going to be trouble, I would radio the local police to be there when I made a shoplifting arrest. Sometimes the response was totally overkill i.e. 4 squad cars, 8 cops and 20 mall security officers.... but, better safe than sorry.

Cops didn't care as the shoplifter might be up to other bad things... drugs, car full of stolen stuff from other stores, etc.

I started looking for something else to do when the Mall Owner told us that one of our jobs was to be security for the bar/restaurants on site - there were 3 and this was in a very busy are of Minneapolis. There was a core group of us more "substantial" guys who always seemed to be scheduled for the Thurs, Fri, Sat. night shifts and the calls increased in volume and intensity as it was very obvious the bars were not staffing their own Bouncers. I wasn't getting paid enough and from what the Security Company had told us, we weren't insured to be offering those services (stopping fights - unruly drunks etc.).

That made for interesting workplace when you get caught in the middle of everyone's expectations. The final straw was being shown/flashed a Glock tucked in the waistband of a guy I was trying to roust out of the alley behind the business. Not much a flashlight or bench presses can do to counteract that. This was pre-cell phone and our radios didn't connect directly to the PO PO, so it was a radio call to someone else who would then get on the phone who would then ask you the questions the 911 operator was asking - very inefficient. Response times were horrible and almost invariably the responding officers would point out that we shouldn't be involved and that we could get seriously hurt etc etc. I decided to try a little harder to use my college education...................
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby george on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Ghost wrote:
[/quote]
Perhaps they were praying for a successful attack, are there not special prayer times otherwise ? I don't know.
Last edited by george on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Ghost on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:28 pm

george wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Perhaps they were praying for a successful attack, are there not special prayer times otherwise ? I don't know.

That quote should be attributed to me. It was around 6:00 if I remember correctly.
Ghost

Postby george on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Sorry, I have a heck of a time trying to do quotes, omg it fixed.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby Ghost on Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:39 pm

LePetomane wrote:I thought I was done but I cannot let this one go. You guys and girls think I am nuts for leaving your little paradise. Well I can go shopping here and not worry about getting stabbed by some muslim terrorist. I can't wait to hear the first words out of your governor's mouth, "Let's not rush to judgement about muslims" or something of the like. Then he will scold all who oppose bringing refugees into Minnesota and say that if they don't like it they can leave.
Now I am done. :x :x

Getting close to Idaho

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=41541855&nid=148&title=possible-bomb-threat-prompts-evacuation-at-eagle-valley-elementary
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — A possible bomb threat at Eagle Valley Elementary Monday afternoon caused an evacuation at the school, officials said.

An intruder wearing a mask entered the school at 2:15 p.m. and said nobody would get hurt if all the students were evacuated, according to Alpine School District spokeswoman Kimberly Bird. Students in grades younger than second grade were evacuated to the City Center, and other grades went to a neighboring resident’s home.
Ghost

Previous

Return to In The News