Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Philando Castile case. Officer charged

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:46 am

At a traffic stop in Nebraska, with my Berretta 96 laying on seat in wide open and 64 pounds of gun powder strapped into passenger seat, officer did not even ask for my license or permit. He was more concerned for my safety as I was driving using my knee, as both hands were "busy" when occurance was observed. He was standing on passenger side of vehicle with pistol in plain sight full time.

"Busy" as in on cellphone and eating ice cream cone at same time.
OldmanFCSA

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:22 am

I don't think you can discount a certain amount of racial profiling and actual profiling as there was an active APB for an Armed Robbery suspect(s) in the area. The stop is one thing and the way an individual of any color handles that stop is entirely a different matter. There are assertions that certain ethnic groups get stopped at a higher rate than other ethnic groups - Lets say you don't dispute that is true, are the incidences of stops going wrong proportional to the increased number of stops? Is there a fundamental lack of understanding for how a stop is to be played out. Should drivers training or the school system spend some time walking through what is expected? Do we need a Public Service Announcement about how this is supposed to go down? I think its common sense, but that's me. I'm a middle aged, college educated, clean cut, white guy who lives in a nice suburb, so what do I know - other than how to successfully negotiate an encounter with police. Happy to say that it is very infrequent.

My Last stop for speeding was on my way up for Mother's Day and Fishing Opener went down as as many of you described. Pull over, shut off the engine, pull out my wallet and lay it on the dash, hands 10 and 2 on the wheel with the window down. Remorseful smile and greeting, pleasant respectful greeting, instructed to present my license from the wallet in full view - even offered my insurance card, upon returning to my vehicle the officer engaged in conversation and I was lectured on the speed limit, safety etc. Nodding, lots of yes sir, no sir, understand sir, sorry sir - was my fault sir. SW 642 tucked in my OWB holster on my belt, under a shirt - non factor - the stop wasn't about that and it didn't need to be discussed. End result is O slugs to the chest and 1 warning ticket to slow it down. On my way with a 10 minute delay. No chip on my shoulder, no lingering marijuana smell in the vehicle, no reaching around when told to stop moving with a handgun in plain view.

YMMV - that, to me is the correct way to participate - better yet follow the laws so you don't get pulled over, but if you screw up and get caught, I'd advise some sort of the above.

The BLM movement can choose to ignore the facts because they need something to protest, but I'm not sure they always pick the right circumstances to illustrate their cause. In general, Is there injustice, yes and I get that the family has a sense of loss - just not sure that sense of loss should rise to anger against "the system" when there is plenty of personal responsibility for not acting appropriately to look at. You can live in denial of the truth, but the truth never goes away and I don't know that, in the long run, you can get the support you are seeking with the approach they are taking, as Sympathetic as the situation may be.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am

yukonjasper wrote:I don't think you can discount a certain amount of racial profiling and actual profiling as there was an active APB for an Armed Robbery suspect(s) in the area. The stop is one thing and the way an individual of any color handles that stop is entirely a different matter. There are assertions that certain ethnic groups get stopped at a higher rate than other ethnic groups - Lets say you don't dispute that is true, are the incidences of stops going wrong proportional to the increased number of stops? Is there a fundamental lack of understanding for how a stop is to be played out. Should drivers training or the school system spend some time walking through what is expected? Do we need a Public Service Announcement about how this is supposed to go down? I think its common sense, but that's me. I'm a middle aged, college educated, clean cut, white guy who lives in a nice suburb, so what do I know - other than how to successfully negotiate an encounter with police. Happy to say that it is very infrequent.

My Last stop for speeding was on my way up for Mother's Day and Fishing Opener went down as as many of you described. Pull over, shut off the engine, pull out my wallet and lay it on the dash, hands 10 and 2 on the wheel with the window down. Remorseful smile and greeting, pleasant respectful greeting, instructed to present my license from the wallet in full view - even offered my insurance card, upon returning to my vehicle the officer engaged in conversation and I was lectured on the speed limit, safety etc. Nodding, lots of yes sir, no sir, understand sir, sorry sir - was my fault sir. SW 642 tucked in my OWB holster on my belt, under a shirt - non factor - the stop wasn't about that and it didn't need to be discussed. End result is O slugs to the chest and 1 warning ticket to slow it down. On my way with a 10 minute delay. No chip on my shoulder, no lingering marijuana smell in the vehicle, no reaching around when told to stop moving with a handgun in plain view.

YMMV - that, to me is the correct way to participate - better yet follow the laws so you don't get pulled over, but if you screw up and get caught, I'd advise some sort of the above.

The BLM movement can choose to ignore the facts because they need something to protest, but I'm not sure they always pick the right circumstances to illustrate their cause. In general, Is there injustice, yes and I get that the family has a sense of loss - just not sure that sense of loss should rise to anger against "the system" when there is plenty of personal responsibility for not acting appropriately to look at. You can live in denial of the truth, but the truth never goes away and I don't know that, in the long run, you can get the support you are seeking with the approach they are taking, as Sympathetic as the situation may be.

Philando was an expert at getting stopped, he had plenty of opportunity to figure out how they worked.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

That was my understanding as well - some really large number of tickets of one sort or another. I wonder if he go so used to being pulled over that he lost respect for the process - became so routine that he no longer had any anxiety/fear that would keep the rest of us focused and safely obedient.

I do struggle with the portrayal of these guys once they are dead as some sort of saint whose life was a shining star that the world will be deprived of. I don't know the man nor do I know any of the other recent examples of "police brutality" but they all seem to grow halos and angel wings when the reality of their existence is far from that. I'm sure its an anomaly of the Defense Team "getting the right message" out to the public to paint as sympathetic a picture as possible in an effort to win over public opinion, Facts be Damned. I am not arguing that anything that he may have done in the past warranted being shot, but that many interactions with police has got to lead you to some sort of statistical likelihood of an encounter going bad - especially if you do not follow instruction/are on drugs/carry weapons out in plain site - etc. etc. etc. Each of these added complications increases your odds of a bad outcome exponentially.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm

It really is simple - the idiot did not comply with a police order and he paid with his life.

Everyone has an opinion if that is right or wrong but it is a basic cause and effect, in the vast majority of cases if you don't comply with a police order you are going to lose - the only question is by how much. You would think people would learn - a guy on plane early this year was another example of a idiot playing tough guy. He was coming of the plane it was just a matter of how much force they were going to use to do it.

The core issue is a social decline in basic courtesy and respect in conjunction with the increase feelings of self importance and entitlement.

Free advice(worth what you pay for it right). Smile, follow instructions, be honest answering questions and if a ticket is issued accept it. Guess what it is all on tape form the squad. Then once you get home decide if you are going to fight the ticket, if so that dash cam is going to go a long way with the judge to convince him your side of the story is credible. If instead if you are a winky on the tape the judge might just write you off as another scum bucket they deal with everyday.
mmcnx2

Postby goalie on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Pro tip: if the cop is freaking out because you have a gun, keep your hands on the wheel NO MATTER WHAT HE SAYS until he calms down.

Don't grab for you license if someone obviously not in control of himself and freaking out is asking for it. The odds of getting shot for having your hands in view, even though you are not complying, are damn close to zero. the odds of getting shot while reaching anywhere near a gun, even if told to produce your license, well, significantly higher than the previous scenario.

I've only been pulled over a few times, and I've never felt the need to tell the cop I was carrying a gun. And the cop damn sure didn't find out I was because I had the thing on my freaking lap when he got to the window either......
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Ghost

Postby White Horseradish on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Nifty how he tells him his brake lights are out when you can clearly see them working.
"I have come to kick a** and chew bubblegum." <racks shotgun> "And I'm all out of bubblegum."

--John Nada, "They Live"
White Horseradish

Postby MJY65 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:15 pm

White Horseradish wrote:Nifty how he tells him his brake lights are out when you can clearly see them working.

2 of 3 are out.
MJY65

Postby atomic41 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:21 pm

At 1:30 Castille hands Yanez his license. So the argument that he was reaching for his wallet is clearly debunked. He was reaching for his gun.
atomic41

Postby Ghost on Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:36 pm

atomic41 wrote:At 1:30 Castille hands Yanez his license. So the argument that he was reaching for his wallet is clearly debunked. He was reaching for his gun.

Seems to me they made a mountain out of a mole hill.
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:47 am

atomic41 wrote:At 1:30 Castille hands Yanez his license. So the argument that he was reaching for his wallet is clearly debunked. He was reaching for his gun.

Star Trib can't be bothered... but most other news sites say it was proof of insurance that was handed over, not license.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby MJY65 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:09 am

Ironbear wrote:

Star Trib can't be bothered... but most other news sites say it was proof of insurance that was handed over, not license.

In the evidence photos, insurance card was in Yanez' pocket, DL was still in Castille's wallet.
MJY65

Postby FJ540 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 am

Where was his wallet? Gun was in right front pocket.
FJ540

Postby goett047 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:14 am

Maybe we should make it illegal to use lethal force until after the bad guy racks the slide and clicks off the safety on his Glock like in the movies?
goett047

PreviousNext

Return to In The News