StarTrib - Yet another article full of misinformation

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

StarTrib - Yet another article full of misinformation

Postby Citiot on Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:36 pm

http://www.startribune.com/shootings-drop-in-minneapolis-but-rounds-fired-are-on-the-rise/454026803/

“If I’m a private seller in Minnesota, I can sell to someone, and it’s a legal sale, even if it’s an illegal buy,” Bence said

Huh? If there is anything illegal about the transaction, it is illegal, period.

Oh, another quote from the article "...Kjos, the former inspector in the North Side’s Fourth Precinct, said he has noticed that some shooters are carrying drum-style magazines capable of feeding 100 bullets into a gun’s chamber in the blink of an eye..."
Citiot

Re: StarTrib - Yet another article full of misinformation

Postby Randygmn on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:32 am

Citiot wrote:http://www.startribune.com/shootings-drop-in-minneapolis-but-rounds-fired-are-on-the-rise/454026803/

“If I’m a private seller in Minnesota, I can sell to someone, and it’s a legal sale, even if it’s an illegal buy,” Bence said

Oh, another quote from the article "...Kjos, the former inspector in the North Side’s Fourth Precinct, said he has noticed that some shooters are carrying drum-style magazines capable of feeding 100 bullets into a gun’s chamber in the blink of an eye..."

Actually- there’s a difference and a distinction. The seller is not compelled to run a check. If the seller does not have reason to believe the buyer is prohibited, he may proceed with a legal sale, and shouldn’t be held liable. If the buyer IS prohibited, and lies or withholds that information, upon transfer, he’s illegally in possession. In that sense, it was an illegal transaction, but the buyer is culpable. Being prudent is another issue altogether. There are some CYA steps a buyer or seller can take, but none are mandatory.
Randygmn

Postby Randygmn on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:25 am

Randygmn wrote:
Citiot wrote:http://www.startribune.com/shootings-drop-in-minneapolis-but-rounds-fired-are-on-the-rise/454026803/

Actually- there’s a difference and a distinction. The seller is not compelled to run a check. If the seller does not have reason to believe the buyer is prohibited, he may proceed with a legal sale, and shouldn’t be held liable. If the buyer IS prohibited, and lies or withholds that information, upon transfer, he’s illegally in possession. In that sense, it was an illegal transaction, but the buyer is culpable. Being prudent is another issue altogether. There are some CYA steps a buyer or seller can take, but none are mandatory.

Edit- but the rest of the article is trash. As a True-Born Son of Liberty, I felt compelled (and I hardly ever do) to comment on the article, while addressing the clear bias/agenda. Clearly- the entire purpose is to push for a “high capacity” magazine ban.
Randygmn

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:00 am

IMO the only problem with the article is the last 2 paragraphs are correct.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby xd ED on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:03 am

The strib's post notsees are really earning their pay today
In about 5 minutes, I had 2 posts deleted; one speculating about whom would suffer the possible loss of votes if the shooters were actually locked up, and the other commenting on the former post being deleted.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:12 am

xd ED wrote:The strib's post notsees are really earning their pay today
In about 5 minutes, I had 2 posts deleted; one speculating about whom would suffer the possible loss of votes if the shooters were actually locked up, and the other commenting on the former post being deleted.

A for Effort
Ghost

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:38 pm

Not sure if they blacklistred me due to previous comments or what but any comment now says "It seems you're attempting to post malformed content." in red letter box.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Citiot on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:17 pm

I got banned long ago (not really banned, just that the comments never show up).

I also didn't break any rules. Indeed, typical of the "tolerant and all inclusive" left.

It's a pain to have to register another user through an anonymous VPN and throw away email, sigh.
Citiot

Postby INOR on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:11 pm

I was banned because they didn't like my user name which they felt was disparaging to their paper.
INOR

Postby hopkins on Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm

These idiots are not even reading their own statistics.
This year there were 10 or more casings at 13.5% of crime scenes.
Last year there were 10 or more casings at 15% of crime scenes. That is an improvement, yet the article makes it seem to be an increase.
hopkins

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 pm

hopkins wrote:These idiots are not even reading their own statistics.
Last year there were 10 or more casings at 15% of crime scenes. That is an improvement, yet the article makes it seem to be an increase.

You just don't get it. Because they are using high capacity mags and shooting more, they need to take up reloading in order to maintain their spray and pray tactics. Therefore they have to pick up their spent casings. Hence the reduction this year which is what their data shows.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:47 pm

Really like the line where the reporter states that most of the rounds recovered where fired from small arms. I am surprised, I thought gang bangers were increasing their use of heavy artillery.
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:52 am

hopkins wrote:These idiots are not even reading their own statistics.

Never let facts get in the way of a pre made conclusion.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:11 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Really like the line where the reporter states that most of the rounds recovered where fired from small arms. I am surprised, I thought gang bangers were increasing their use of heavy artillery.

...could be the latest, politically correct way of saying that now, more shooters are little people.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby INOR on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:48 am

I called them this morning and dropped my subscription. I was only a digital subscriber, as I prefer to read everything online and consider the print edition to be a huge waste when it immediately goes into the recycle bin. Anyhow, I subscribed to the daily digital edition and the online access. Grew weary of their unwarranted censorship. They only want two types of people to comment in their comments sections: 1) liberals who espouse the same ideas they value and 2) moronic, inarticulate conservatives who are easily made to look stupid by the first category of posters. If you offer intelligent conservative comments, they delete your comment or ban you.
INOR

Next

Return to In The News