"He Never Went In": Officer On Duty Filmed "Doing Nothing"

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: "He Never Went In": Officer On Duty Filmed "Doing Nothing"

Postby westhope on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:59 am

... We can't hold them to the same standard as a police officer. ...

Again, the standard for police officer's is they have NO duty to protect the individual. I believe MOST police officers will CHOSE to engage the threat risking their lives and I greatly respect them for that.

I hope armed & trained teachers will chose to engage the threat also, risking their own lives to save others.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby xd ED on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:12 pm

westhope wrote:
... We can't hold them to the same standard as a police officer. ...

Again, the standard for police officer's is they have NO duty to protect the individual. I believe MOST police officers will CHOSE to engage the threat risking their lives and I greatly respect them for that.

I hope armed & trained teachers will chose to engage the threat also, risking their own lives to save others.

I'm no expert on the legal aspects of this, and while it's been established that law enforcement as an institution is not legally liable for the safety of the individual, this particular officers actions(or lack thereof) caused his immediate suspension, and presumably his resignation as well.
I suspect his life will go from bad to very worse
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Sorcerer on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Ghost wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:I highly doubt that “can do officers” are school resource officers. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Can't remember where I heard or read it but it's considered a coveted position in some agencies.

Well yah. No one breathing down your neck to do “traffic” enforcement/ write tickets. Your generally in a climate controlled environment,not standing in the weather at an accident scene or crime scene. Watch commander not asking why your radio ping hasn’t moved lately. Not having to jump fences while chasing perpetrators. A great place to place an officer that no one wants to ride / work with, but that you can’t fire. Some of these officers have come to be a liability even in school settings.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:55 pm

Sorcerer wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Sorcerer wrote:I highly doubt that “can do officers” are school resource officers. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Can't remember where I heard or read it but it's considered a coveted position in some agencies.

Well yah. No one breathing down your neck to do “traffic” enforcement/ write tickets. Your generally in a climate controlled environment,not standing in the weather at an accident scene or crime scene. Watch commander not asking why your radio ping hasn’t moved lately. Not having to jump fences while chasing perpetrators. A great place to place an officer that no one wants to ride / work with, but that you can’t fire. Some of these officers have come to be a liability even in school settings.

Yah, but you are dealing with kids, so there is that ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 pm

Jake Tapper‏Verified account
@jaketapper
Coral Springs Police Chief Anthony Pustizzi sent out this email to his staff on Feb 16 because, per source, some officers under his command were upset that Broward Sheriff’s Office wasn’t acknowledging that Coral Springs Police were first to charge into MSD High School:

Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:08 pm

People will be people, and not all are the most honorable or the most honest.
Holland&Holland

Postby Big and Tasty on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 pm

A brave man dies once.
A coward dies a thousand times.
"Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help."
Big and Tasty

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:05 pm

Many police officers were surprised to find that not only the armed school resource officer but 3 other Broward County sheriff’s deputies were outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during the shooting crisis and hadn’t entered, sources tell CNN https://t.co/wTZKYXlBlc%20pic.twitter.com/hSckUZWzS8

CNN Politics CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) February 23, 2018
Ghost

Postby Lumpy on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:01 pm

Ghost wrote:
Many police officers were surprised to find that not only the armed school resource officer but 3 other Broward County sheriff’s deputies were outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during the shooting crisis and hadn’t entered, sources tell CNN https://t.co/wTZKYXlBlc%20pic.twitter.com/hSckUZWzS8

CNN Politics CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) February 23, 2018

Perhaps they were waiting for enough backup to give them the 30-1 advantage they usually prefer before confronting an armed assailant.
Lumpy

Postby TooFewGuns on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:33 pm

xd ED wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Let's see, cop has a pistol, kid has AR and other guns, cop is close to retiring, he is out gunned. What would you do? IMO, be would have been dead too. To hard to say though. Didn't have his training. Don't know if he ever fired his fun during his career. Me, I would have engaged. Also, saw a interview that a teacher saw the kid in full body armor.

The guy collected a paycheck for x decades to act in the event something like this happened.
Sitting it out wasn't part of the deal.

Exactly. If he wasn't willing to act in a situation like this, he should have retired or asked for another assignment years ago. As for the outgunned argument, he is a trained professional up against an untrained kid. He had a better than average chance of improving the end result. In addition to his inaction, 4 more officers arrived on the scene and also waited it out. The teachers who died protecting kids are the only heroes in this situation.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:21 am

And it gets worse.

When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/27523/breaking-cnn-reports-four-broward-county-deputies-ben-shapiro

The entire Broward County Sheriff’s department needs to go.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:And it gets worse.

When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.
https://www.dailywire.com/news/27523/breaking-cnn-reports-four-broward-county-deputies-ben-shapiro

Side question: Do they not have a long gun in their cars?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:59 am

Ghost wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:And it gets worse.

Side question: Do they not have a long gun in their cars?

Israel believes all guns should be banned. They are lucky to have sidearms.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:17 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Israel believes all guns should be banned. They are lucky to have sidearms.

When an anti/lib says all, it means they are exempt.

You should pay all your taxes
You should turn in all your guns
Ghost

Postby Ghost on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 am

If only there had been a Steven Willeford nearby to do what the cops didn’t, using his personal AR15.
Ghost

PreviousNext

Return to In The News