Vadnais Heights weapons seized

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Vadnais Heights weapons seized

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:36 am

yukonjasper wrote:
INOR wrote:No. The context of this is the kid actually threatening to shoot up the school. Cops have no choice but to react now, investigate, and take action. And what I’m saying is that, through the course of the investigation, if they find that the kid has access to guns, they will immediately assume the threat may have been credible. So lock your **** guns up if you have kids. It’s that **** simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I also agree with the police taking all of them out of the house. Clearly the parents didn't secure all the weapons proving themselves unable to handle the responsibility. Should they be able to get them back. The kid is only joking around until he isn't and he is wading through bodies. We can't have it both ways. Either we want a Crack down on the people who are making bad decisions or we acknowledge that all guns should be removed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Proud history of military service blah,blah,blah. Doing a tour in the military isn't a guarantee of super hero morals and ethics.

Less than 2 weeks ago a similar situation happened in a local school, where an autistic kid said something he shouldn't have.
Given what's been published about the actual dialog that took place here, one might reasonable think this kid was goaded into saying something that would have gotten the school closed for the day.
Granted, today, threats must be taken seriously, but with what has been observed as this happened, and what was learned in the past 18 hours, one can easily accuse the sheriff of grandstanding, overreacting, and over reaching beyond the law....
...unless you believe the sheriff should be allowed to arbitrarily confiscate firearms in a home.
Before this story started to unravel they were throwing around terms like 'arsenal, and 'cache of weapons'..'explosive devices'...
I believe the applicable law addresses loaded firearms accessible to children. And no such claim has been made by law enforcement.

Some of what occurred in this house appears stupid, and irresponsible, but I've yet to hear any clear example of a violation of law that warrants confiscation, and the family going to jail; inconveniently enough after the newspaper publishes the address and photo of their now unoccupied home.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:40 am

xd ED wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:
INOR wrote:No. The context of this is the kid actually threatening to shoot up the school. Cops have no choice but to react now, investigate, and take action. And what I’m saying is that, through the course of the investigation, if they find that the kid has access to guns, they will immediately assume the threat may have been credible. So lock your **** guns up if you have kids. It’s that **** simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I also agree with the police taking all of them out of the house. Clearly the parents didn't secure all the weapons proving themselves unable to handle the responsibility. Should they be able to get them back. The kid is only joking around until he isn't and he is wading through bodies. We can't have it both ways. Either we want a Crack down on the people who are making bad decisions or we acknowledge that all guns should be removed.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Proud history of military service blah,blah,blah. Doing a tour in the military isn't a guarantee of super hero morals and ethics.

Less than 2 weeks ago a similar situation happened in a local school, where an autistic kid said something he shouldn't have.
Given what's been published about the actual dialog that took place here, one might reasonable think this kid was goaded into saying something that would have gotten the school closed for the day.
Granted, today, threats must be taken seriously, but with what has been observed as this happened, and what was learned in the past 18 hours, one can easily accuse the sheriff of grandstanding, overreacting, and over reaching beyond the law....
...unless you believe the sheriff should be allowed to arbitrarily confiscate firearms in a home.
Before this story started to unravel they were throwing around terms like 'arsenal, and 'cache of weapons'..'explosive devices'...
I believe the applicable law addresses loaded firearms accessible to children. And no such claim has been made by law enforcement.

Some of what occurred in this house appears stupid, and irresponsible, but I've yet to hear any clear example of a violation of law that warrants confiscation, and the family going to jail; inconveniently enough after the newspaper publishes the address and photo of their now unoccupied home.

At least there are no guns there for the bad guys to steal ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:43 am

Let's not forget that this whole thing seems to have been predicated on hearsay. Kid a says something to kid b as part of a conversation, kid b says something about that something, possibly taken out of context, possibly not repeated accurately, to his/her mother. Mother then contacts the police, possibly taking it farther out of context and/or adding/subtracting content. Presumably there's more to the story than that, because that seems pretty thin/sketchy to me.

If the "explosive device" was really just a smoke generator, as mentioned earlier in the thread, then I'm inclined to agree with the comments about the sheriff's motives. Also, as xd ED asked, why confiscate a vest? It's not capable of harm.
andrewP

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:46 am

andrewP wrote:Let's not forget that this whole thing seems to have been predicated on hearsay. Kid a says something to kid b as part of a conversation, kid b says something about that something, possibly taken out of context, possibly not repeated accurately, to his/her mother. Mother then contacts the police, possibly taking it farther out of context and/or adding/subtracting content. Presumably there's more to the story than that, because that seems pretty thin/sketchy to me.

If the "explosive device" was really just a smoke generator, as mentioned earlier in the thread, then I'm inclined to agree with the comments about the sheriff's motives. Also, as xd ED asked, why confiscate a vest? It's not capable of harm.

I think you forgot to read the part where he had an "arsenal" and "thousands of rounds of ammo". Code words for the anti crowd.
Holland&Holland

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:52 am

Holland&Holland wrote:I think you forgot to read the part where he had an "arsenal" and "thousands of rounds of ammo". Code words for the anti crowd.

Nope, didn't miss that. Every time I read those words, I roll my eyes; I'm sure even the small number of guns at my house would be characterized as an "arsenal" or "cache of weapons" by the media, and every time I see "thousands of rounds of ammo," I wonder what % of the ammo in question is .22LR and/or trap/skeet/sporting clays grade shotgun shells, which are of course largely irrelevant in terms of an "arsenal." :p
andrewP

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:54 am

andrewP wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:I think you forgot to read the part where he had an "arsenal" and "thousands of rounds of ammo". Code words for the anti crowd.

Nope, didn't miss that. Every time I read those words, I roll my eyes; I'm sure even the small number of guns at my house would be characterized as an "arsenal" or "cache of weapons" by the media, and every time I see "thousands of rounds of ammo," I wonder what % of the ammo in question is .22LR and/or trap/skeet/sporting clays grade shotgun shells, which are of course largely irrelevant in terms of an "arsenal." :p

When I read it I wonder to myself if the guy is down to that little ammo should we take up a collection for him here?
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:56 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
At least there are no guns there for the bad guys to steal ;)

There is that
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby xd ED on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:02 pm

This is getting interesting. By the time this is sorted out one of these families is going to be in serious trouble; either legally for a federal firearms violation, or hip deep in a civil suit.

A comment from the woman who called the sheriff:
Pigg, however, believes the teen and the parents need help.

"There were over 80 guns, illegal automatic guns in the home," she said.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 pm

The family is already planning to sue. I don't blame them. The parents are sitting in jail until Monday for a Misdemeanor

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/03/vadnais-heights-mayor-questions-handling-of-school-shooting-threat-family-plans-to-sue/
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:48 am

Sheriff should lose his job, and the department should be sued into bankruptcy.
Erud

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:22 am

xd ED wrote:This is getting interesting. By the time this is sorted out one of these families is going to be in serious trouble; either legally for a federal firearms violation, or hip deep in a civil suit.

Autos?
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 am

Ghost wrote:
xd ED wrote:This is getting interesting. By the time this is sorted out one of these families is going to be in serious trouble; either legally for a federal firearms violation, or hip deep in a civil suit.

Autos?

The brainwashed, no nothing, anti neighbor needs to be sued into bankruptcy also.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:12 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Ghost wrote:Autos?

The brainwashed, no nothing, anti neighbor needs to be sued into bankruptcy also.

Maybe some C&R stuff since it’s a four generation collection. This should be fun to watch unfold.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:14 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:The brainwashed, no nothing, anti neighbor needs to be sued into bankruptcy also.

i agree.
I also wonder what exposure some of the media has in all this.

There are some incendiary statements attributed to the sheriff, the publication of the family's name, address, employers...

March 02, 2018 10:40 PM

Ramsey County Sheriff Jack Serier confirmed federal agents seized dozens of guns and bombs from the home of a student who threatened another student.

Serier discussed the incident at a press conference Friday.

http://kstp.com/news/guns-ammunition-seized-student-vadnais-heights/4811241/

The neighbor:
The raid was prompted by Jessica Pigg, whose child is a classmate of the 13-year-old at the Academy for Sciences and Agriculture. Pigg said the student threatened to shoot up the school and her son.

"It could have been a tragedy," Pigg said.

Pigg said her son texted her about the threats Wednesday and asked if he could stay home from school. She said she called the school to discuss the issue. Pigg claims an administrator downplayed the issue and referred to it as a conversation that got out of hand.

Mark Stowe, the 13-year-old's grandfather, confirmed the district met with the teen and Chris Stowe. Mark Stowe said his grandson received a two-day suspension leading into spring break.

"This is going to be behind us," Stowe said. "The case is closed. The situation has been taken care of. This was not a threat, it's all taken care of."

Pigg did not think the suspension was enough.

"They're in charge of our children's safety and they neglected to keep our children safe," she said.

On Thursday, she took her fears to the Ramsey County Sheriff's Office. A spokesperson confirmed Pigg notified them about the issue.

Mark Stowe confirmed the family has many guns and said they are part of a collection. He said most of them are unloaded and are kept in safes.

However, when the sheriff's office arrived Friday, they claim some guns could be easily accessed by the teen.

"There was something that had the potential look of a repeat in Florida, which needed to be investigated and I think panic set in," Mark Stowe said. "I believe the sheriff did a knee-jerk reaction. Instead of calling the principal, he did this. I think he screwed up and screwed up real bad."

http://kstp.com/news/families-give-differing-accounts-of-vadnais-heights-weapon-seizure/4812122/?cat=1

As an aside,

I'm sure the sheriff gets excited throwing around some of therms he has..."arsenal...thousands of rounds of ammunition, explosive devices..."; but he is a bit self defeating with the word 'cache' describing the guns accessible to the kid:
cache
[kaSH]
NOUN
a collection of items of the same type stored in a hidden or inaccessible place

does make him sound HSLD, no matter how excited he was at his reelection speech...press conference
Last edited by xd ED on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:20 am

Ghost wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Ghost wrote:Autos?

Maybe some C&R stuff since it’s a four generation collection. This should be fun to watch unfold.

I think you would have to be really good on working a bolt to get any where near "auto" at least with the pics released.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to In The News