ATF Places Some AR-15 Pistols with Braces Under NFA

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

ATF Places Some AR-15 Pistols with Braces Under NFA

Postby jdege on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:38 pm

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/10/07/atf-places-some-ar-15-pistols-with-stabilizer-braces-under-nfa/
ATF Places Some AR-15 Pistols with Stabilizer Braces Under NFA
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) recategorized a popular Q, LLC-manufactured AR-15 pistol with stabilizer brace as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR), which places the gun under the purview of the National Firearms Act (1934).

As of now, the ATF’s action is limited to the Q, LLC (Q) manufactured AR-15 pistol called the “Honey Badger,” but an expansion of the policy, which would impact all AR-15 pistols with pistol braces, is anticipated.
jdege

Re: ATF Places Some AR-15 Pistols with Braces Under NFA

Postby andrewP on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:52 pm

Given the previous back and forth on braces, and the fact that braces have pretty much always been a wink/nod "haha it's not a stock, and I'd *never* shoulder it" end run around the SBR portions of the NFA anyway, I can't say that this is terribly surprising. The surprising part IMO is that they specifically went after a single manufacturer and model (at least at first) vs the whole class of guns, and that they did it now vs like 5+ years ago or whenever it was that braces started becoming a big thing.

On the other hand, there are so many braces out there at this point that it's impractical to proclaim them all to be SBRs after the fact. It will be interesting to see how it plays out in the courts.
andrewP

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Is anyone really surprised about this?

I mean seriously?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Glenn_S on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:49 pm

This sounds like the ATF looking to see what the pushback is, and if someone files suit. If it is not challenged, then they will go after the whole class.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Glenn_S

Postby 870TC on Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:20 pm

surprised? no. Disappointed, yes... Especially for the handicapped people who actual need and use the arm brace as intended...they just lost big time
870TC

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Surprised yes. I mean they were legal and then they were illegal and then they were legal again but if you shouldered it you were a felon but then you were not so now you are a felon again but just for owning it. Wait, are they legal next week or not? Yes
Holland&Holland

Postby linksep on Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:24 pm

Gun Owners of America wrote:Once again, gun owners, manufacturers, and dealers are subject to the whims of the anti-gun bureaucrats who run the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF).

The latest outrage is that they have reclassified Q, LLC’s Honey Badger Pistol as a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) subject to regulation under the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA) including a $200 transfer tax.
GOA has had a copy of Gifford’s diabolical plan to outlaw not only pistol braces, but .50 caliber ammunition, certain handguns, and the Mossberg Shockwave for close to two years. Click here and go to page 7 for their false claims about pistol braces.

This is not a coincidence. One of Giffords’ advisors is David Chipman, who they tout as a retired ATF Special Agent...

https://gunowners.org/na10072020/
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby crbutler on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:26 pm

If I recall correctly, Q was advertising the Honey Badger as a work around for the SBR laws.

If that was the case, that’s the reason for the ban.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 pm

crbutler wrote:If I recall correctly, Q was advertising the Honey Badger as a work around for the SBR laws.

So.... if they did not state it it would be legal? Sounds like a Hillary style crime to me then.
Holland&Holland

Postby atomic41 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 pm

crbutler wrote:If I recall correctly, Q was advertising the Honey Badger as a work around for the SBR laws.

Correct the ATF states this in their letter. Also rumor has it they didn't send samples for approval, if that's true then of course ATF is going to slap you.

Also remember, Kevin Brittingham is one of the biggest DBs in the industry who pisses people off routinely. The mistakes above combined with his ******* personality are a recipe for disaster.
atomic41

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:48 pm

atomic41 wrote:

Correct the ATF states this in their letter. Also rumor has it they didn't send samples for approval, if that's true then of course ATF is going to slap you.

Also remember, Kevin Brittingham is one of the biggest DBs in the industry who pisses people off routinely. The mistakes above combined with his ******* personality are a recipe for disaster.

So if a government agency feels slighted by you you will suffer consequences of the law being applied differently to you than to others? Sounds like the city of Minneapolis.
Holland&Holland

Return to In The News