Guy stabs five river tubers, one fatally, Apple River, WI

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Guy stabs five river tubers, one fatally, Apple River, WI

Postby Stugotz on Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:52 pm

Five people were stabbed with a knife while tubing on the Apple River in Somerset Saturday afternoon, the sheriff said.

A 17-year-old boy from Minnesota was transported to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Knudson said.

The four other victims are hospitalized in critical condition, he said. Two victims were transported out of the hard-to-reach area by helicopter.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/people-stabbe ... d=87686348

The suspect is a 52 yr. old engineer and is white, very white, as is pointed out in the report and a far Right wing gun enthusiast.
And boy, do they point that out. He even was pictured with an American flag.
Last edited by Stugotz on Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%
Stugotz

Re: uy stabs five river tubers, one fatally, Apple River, WI

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:53 pm

Sounds like he is going to claim self defense.
Jackpine Savage

Re: Guy stabs five river tubers, one fatally, Apple River, WI

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:53 pm

So ... right wing gun enthusiast with an American flag describes.... just about anybody I know....
Holland&Holland

Postby jdege on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:39 pm

https://www.kaaltv.com/news/one-dead-four-injured-in-weekend-stabbing-on-apple-river-wisconsin/6538631/

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/victim-of-mass-stabbing-on-apple-river-explains-what-happened

Mattison wrote on Facebook that "a few friends" and her were stabbed by "a random elderly man," elaborating further about the attack on her GoFundMe campaign.

"Some friends and I were tubing when we came [across] a group who were asking for our help. My friends and I went over to see what was going on and there was an older man there being inappropriate and was asked to leave but wouldn’t. The older man ended up having a knife and stabbed a few friends of mine and myself included," she wrote.

Asked if she knows why the man stabbed her, she replied to BMTN, "I do not."

https://www.kimt.com/news/national/criminal-complaint-details-what-allegedly-led-up-to-apple-river-stabbing/article_fc8d2a60-7074-56ba-aa95-fafe8b76de2e.html

Miu was tubing on the river Saturday with friends and his wife. One of his friends lost their phone, and Miu went to go look for it using his snorkeling gear. He told investigators that another group tubing down the river seemed to have found something, and when he asked if they found the phone, they began yelling at him.

Video of the scene showed Miu had grabbed onto a party's tubes, and the group was yelling at him to get away. He walked away, stopped and said something back, and walked away again. More people began yelling at him to get away, with Miu eventually being surrounded on three sides. The criminal complaint notes there was time and opportunities for him to leave the confrontation.

The complaint notes that the camera pans away from Miu, and during that time a commotion starts and multiple people converged toward him. When the camera pans back, Miu is falling backward into the water where he is then slapped.

As he gets to his feet, he is holding the knife, but is shoved back into the water. When he tried to stand again, Miu stabbed the person who is pushing him again into the water.

"There was enough blood in the river that the water turned a red tint in places," the criminal complaint states.

Witnesses said the first punch was thrown by Miu, when he struck a woman on the left side of her face, and that he was then struck by a male. Miu said he was hit first and pushed by the group.

Miu describes the incident to investigators as self defense, and that he did not recall what happened other than having been in self-defense mode. He said leading up to this, people were calling him a child molester, which he denied. He said someone tried to pull down his swim trunks, and that someone removed and threw his goggles. He also told investigators he saw two knives among the group of people confronting him.

Miu said he took the action he did because he feared for his life.
jdege

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:59 pm

I haven't spent a lot of time trying to follow this, as most of what's being reported is parroted from other sources.
But 2 things stand out:
The county attorney decided to charge after viewing the video.
Wisconsin's use of deadly force/self defense laws appear not to be the same as ours(MN); the duty to retreat is not the same prerequisite, but it can be can be taken into consideration by a jury.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:51 pm

Lesson one, stay out of a river of drunk people.
Holland&Holland

Postby Erud on Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:33 am

I have to admit that this story turned out to be a lot different than where my assumptions led me when I first saw the news story on Sunday before any details had come out. After learning more details, I have some questions:

Was the knife guy actually with another group of people? If so, where were they when all of this happened?

Why did he have snorkeling gear on the Apple River? Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with that, but it seems unusual.

Who would describe a 52-year old guy as a “random elderly man”? Kids are dumb. Or maybe I’m just sensitive about that for some reason…
Erud

Postby Jackpine Savage on Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:52 am

Jackpine Savage

Postby Erud on Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:26 am

Jackpine Savage wrote:This article has the entire criminal complaint imbedded.

https://www.fox9.com/news/apple-river-stabbing-man-charged-with-fatally-stabbing-teen-hurting-4-others

Thanks, that definitely sheds some more light.
Erud

Return to In The News