AI Cameras Spotting Guns?

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

AI Cameras Spotting Guns?

Postby daleamn on Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 pm

Well there's a story in the Pioneer Press (PP) story about a company using cameras and Artificial Intelligence (AI) to spot guns. I'm thinking Mall of America (MOA) should look into this. Between the gun sniffing dogs and this technology MOA should be REALLY safe. (Yeah, I'm being sarcastic.) The story is on the front page of the Monday, May 13, 2024 issue of the PP. I'm afraid I couldn't manage to get a link to the story.

Here's a link to the company in question, ZeroEyes:
https://zeroeyes.com/

I 'think', since the technology uses cameras, that it can only 'alert' if the gun is visible. That is, there's no metal detection hardware involved and if you've got the gun in a pocket or a backpack the technology is not going to detect the gun.

P.S. Since 'AI' is all the rage, if anyone has any venture capital available I'm thinking of starting a line of AI hammers and AI screwdrivers. Think about how vastly superior these tools would be if they were embedded with AI technology!!!

As you can tell I'm an AI skeptic. I mean there actually is some technology out there that maybe can modify itself but 'artificial intelligence' has been promised since the late 1960's. I read about it in a book by Marvin Minsky around that time that promised 'artificial intelligence' in just a couple of years. Kind of like the flying cars we've been promised for decades. However I hear we actually might get real flying cars in a couple of years if only people will put up the venture capital to the guys developing them!!! (major eye roll here).
daleamn

Re: AI Cameras Spotting Guns?

Postby Lumpy on Mon May 13, 2024 2:12 pm

A term has been coined for obsolete visions of the future- "zeerust". If you want to spend some hours going down a rabbit hole you can check out https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Zeerust and https://davidszondy.com/futurepast/
Lumpy

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon May 13, 2024 6:31 pm

I thought MoA is already using something like this.
gun_fan111v2

Postby Sorcerer on Tue May 14, 2024 7:31 am

In the article it sead that AI would see a “firearm”, alert a human to verify, sead human now must hit the alert button to alert someone at whatever the location is and communicate where sead firearm “ was” seen, that human must now react. What could go wrong? Shooter by now is on the 3rd magazine. In most schools the kids and adults already know where cameras are located and will work around that.
Sorcerer

Return to In The News