Legalized Marijuana and Firearms.

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Legalized Marijuana and Firearms.

Postby XDM45 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:19 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:They should make medical AND recreational marijuana legal across the board in all 50 states and then treat it exactly like they treat alcohol....gotta be 21 to use it, subject to DUI laws, etc. Note...I DON'T use marijuana and never will, but this "war on drugs" has gone on long enough with practically NO results and a HUGE waste of taxpayer money.

100% agreed.

The war on drugs will never work. Just like the war on terror will never work either.

Why?

Well, for the war on drugs, IF you could eliminate every single natural and/or man made thing on Earth that gets you high; you will have only eliminated the SUPPLY, and not the DEMAND; thus there is still a drug problem because the DEMAND/DESIRE is there. If you were somehow able to eliminate the DEMAND/DESIRE, then the SUPPLY wouldn't matter at all. Not a lot of demand for typewriter ribbons right now, even if you have 10 warehouses full of them, right? Anyway, eliminating either supply or demand is a futile and improbable task.

Now as for the war on terrorism, terrorism is an idea. That's why "the pen is mightier than the sword" as Shakespeare wrote. The only way to truly kill an idea is to commit genocide of the entire human race, which would eliminate the idea of terrorism, any actions based on that idea and so forth;, but it's overkill, unlikely and completely effen insane. As long as one human lives, that idea (and many ideas), also live.

Not to derail the thread, but the war on drugs and the war on terrorism do not work. Regarding the latest push for medical / legal marijuana in MN, many LE agencies are against it because quite frankly, pot makes up most of the "drug busts" in this state. It's a cash cow for them. What the states need to do is what CO did... tie pot into the state budget, tax it, license it, and then once it's part of that sacred cow (aka the budget) and they see how much revenue it will bring in, no one will want to touch it. I believe in CO, last I heard, and this number could be wrong, it was something like 5-10M a year in additional tax revenue for the state. I can guarantee you that if the money made from taxing it and legalizing it is more than capturing it is, things will move that way.

I also think that people should be able to grow it, within limitations. For example, in CO, you can have no more than 6 plants with a max of 3 being mature at atny one time. Out of state people can buy 1/4oz and in-state residents can buy a 1oz. They have smokeables, edibles, I think CO is leading the way and the rest of the country needs to model itself after it.

Now, just like booze and guns, pot must be used responsibly by adults. booze, pot and guns do not mix. Basically, common sense and responsibilities and all of that. I know opponents may think kids will get pot, but right now they get booze and guns too. You really can't stop it, just reduce it, control it as much as you can. It's sort of like that video about the best 7 minutes on gun control where the virtual president talks about how politicians don't really want to talk about human nature and how violence is part of it and always will be....and how they'd rather focus on the guns instead of the real problem..... people. Let's not make the same mistake here with pot.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 am

Why is this even on a gun forum? Go over to MNPottalk please.
Holland&Holland

Postby infidel on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:29 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Why is this even on a gun forum? Go over to MNPottalk please.

Maybe you didn't see the firearms part in the OP. Regardless, If you don't like it don't read it. :roll:
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby Sietch on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:01 pm

infidel wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Why is this even on a gun forum? Go over to MNPottalk please.

Maybe you didn't see the firearms part in the OP. Regardless, If you don't like it don't read it. :roll:

Heh.

The problem with the War on Drugs, like the War on Terror, is "wars" are supposed to have clear goals and victory conditions, e.g. the surrender of the Empire of Japan, or the repulsion of Iraqi armed forces in Kuwait. The War on Drugs, like the War on Terror, is not designed to end, because there are no clear victory conditions.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby elmerfuddem on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:12 pm

I don't carry, or hunt under the influence.

I smoked pot once, but never inhaled.

Praise the lord and pass the bong around.

Why is everyone so uptight in here?
"Hurrah, boys, we've got them! We'll finish them up and then go home to our station." Lt. Col G.A. Custer June 25, 1876.
elmerfuddem

Postby Frank Ettin on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:28 pm

elmerfuddem wrote:...Why is everyone so uptight in here?

It's not a question of being or not being uptight about marijuana. We're really discussing the fact that a user of marijuana, even if legal under state law, is an unlawful user of a controlled substance under federal law and therefore commits a federal law felony if he has in his possession a gun or ammunition. The penalty is up to five years in federal prison and/or a fine (plus a lifetime loss of gun rights).

Maybe someone who smokes dope and has guns won't get caught. But if he is caught, he's probably going to be very unhappy about the way things turn out.

That's the bottom line. And it is the bottom line whether you think marijuana is bad or good or you don't like it or you like it or you think it has medicinal value.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." (Jeff Cooper)
Frank Ettin

Postby steve4102 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:24 pm

As MN has just passed the first Legislative hurtle, I though I would send a few question off to my local Rep and Senator.
Here is what I asked them.

Dear Senator Reinert,

As we work through the process of "Legalizing" marijuana
for Medical purposes, I feel there are a couple very important issues
that should be addressed.

As you know Marijuana is "Illegal" in all 50 states
according to Federal Law. It is not only "Illegal" it is a
Schedule I Controlled Substance, on par with Heroin and
Methamphetamine.

If the State of MN "Legalizes" Medical Marijuana, how do
the State Legislators plan to protect the users, the growers and the
distributors against Federal Prosecution?

According to the Gun Control Act of 1968 any person that uses or
possesses a Schedule I Controlled Substance (marijuana) is a
"Prohibited Person" and possession of a firearm or ammunition
is a Felony. How does the State of MN plan to handle this issue? Are
you going to include firearm possession restriction in the Bill that
are on par with Federal Law stripping any user, grower or distributor
of the Second Amendment Rights, or do you have some other plan?

Thanks

Here is the only response so far. Very informative and very helpful.

Hi Steven:

I have co-authored this bill in the past, and it continues to have my support.

R Reinert

steve4102

Postby XDM45 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 am

steve4102 wrote:As MN has just passed the first Legislative hurtle, I though I would send a few question off to my local Rep and Senator.
Here is what I asked them.

Dear Senator Reinert,

As we work through the process of "Legalizing" marijuana
for Medical purposes, I feel there are a couple very important issues
that should be addressed.

As you know Marijuana is "Illegal" in all 50 states
according to Federal Law. It is not only "Illegal" it is a
Schedule I Controlled Substance, on par with Heroin and
Methamphetamine.

If the State of MN "Legalizes" Medical Marijuana, how do
the State Legislators plan to protect the users, the growers and the
distributors against Federal Prosecution?

According to the Gun Control Act of 1968 any person that uses or
possesses a Schedule I Controlled Substance (marijuana) is a
"Prohibited Person" and possession of a firearm or ammunition
is a Felony. How does the State of MN plan to handle this issue? Are
you going to include firearm possession restriction in the Bill that
are on par with Federal Law stripping any user, grower or distributor
of the Second Amendment Rights, or do you have some other plan?

Thanks

Here is the only response so far. Very informative and very helpful.

Hi Steven:

I have co-authored this bill in the past, and it continues to have my support.

R Reinert

Scroll back a page and read my previous post regarding the US Patent. I would have mentioned the patent to him in your letter.
Gnothi Seauton
XDM45

Previous

Return to In The News