Stabbing @ Minnesota State Fair

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Stabbing @ Minnesota State Fair

Postby photogpat on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:56 am

I carried my little Taurus .327 all day on Thursday @ the Fair. I rode the Park & Ride to the Fair, worked, walked around, ate deep fried goodness...and nothing happened other than getting a little bit sweaty.

AMAZING! /sarcasm

I think people like Joan and ilk believe that since "nothing" ever happens, there's no reason to carry a gun...but when something does happen, its good that no one was carrying a gun...

That kind of logic is like the Yogi Berra AFLAC ad's..."if you're hurt, and miss work, it won't hurt to miss work".
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby GunClasses.Net on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:16 am

photogpat wrote:I think people like Joan and ilk believe that since "nothing" ever happens, there's no reason to carry a gun...but when something does happen, its good that no one was carrying a gun...

If you're first well-prepared for the likely and traumatic threats (well practiced in hand to hand fighting), why shouldn't you be prepared for the less likely and yet traumatic threats? Cops are... we can be, too. Remember, the odds of you ever needing a gun are pretty slim - but if you ever need one, you're going to need it REAL bad. :) When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

From our facebook page:
If we really wanted to stop people from behaving badly, we would first try regulating those who commit those atrocious acts. In that regard, we advocate "criminal free society". No, we do not think people should be background checked or body scanned to enter, say, the state fair - however, rather, ALL of society be a criminal free zone. Releasing violent offenders because our prisons are packed with non-violent offenders makes no sense whatsoever, and only creates a society full of, well - experienced criminals. When you do that, it matters little whether a law attempts to regulate some of the various tools they choose to use.

That note about the 'various tools' was actually posted minutes prior to us learning there was a stabbing last night in that gun-free zone. Crystal clear, right? When, oh when, will the rest of the world arrive at this simple clarity?
See us for gun training and resources at http://gunclasses.net and http://mnconcealedcarry.com

We also recommend Krav Maga, by IKMF-certified instructors: http://www.kravmagampls.com
GunClasses.Net

Postby xd ED on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:49 am

bstrawse wrote:Note that the article in question is nine years old. I'd recommend checking with David before proceeding - particularly because he's mostly retired at this point...

b

Thanks.
I didn't check the date when I posted the article, even though it is quite apparent.
I only saw the article a week or so back wen it was referenced in a similar discussion.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:54 am

With respect to police, fire, EMT.

WE are the 'first responders'

The colorado police chief was proud of the fact that his department had a 2 minute response time

(which on a technical analysis is very good)

...just in time to put up the yellow hazard tape.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby GunClasses.Net on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:14 am

Humphrey Bogart wrote:With respect to police, fire, EMT.

The colorado police chief was proud of the fact that his department had a 2 minute response time

When seconds count, they're only minutes away?
See us for gun training and resources at http://gunclasses.net and http://mnconcealedcarry.com

We also recommend Krav Maga, by IKMF-certified instructors: http://www.kravmagampls.com
GunClasses.Net

Postby bstrawse on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:15 am

I don't at all take issue with your assertion that the citizens are the first responders. I believe strongly that we are.

That said, Aurora PD, Fire, and EMS did a fabulous job responding to the shooting situation. They did a lot more than just put up yellow hazard tape.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Humphrey Bogart on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am

bstrawse wrote:

I don't at all take issue with your assertion that the citizens are the first responders. I believe strongly that we are.

That said, Aurora PD, Fire, and EMS did a fabulous job responding to the shooting situation. They did a lot more than just put up yellow hazard tape.
b

Someone knows the details on this but I think in 9 out of 10 of these active shooter incidents....the show is COMPLETELY over when law enforcement shows up.

Just heard on 'Armed American Radio' w/ Mark Walters last night....something about the high murder rates in Chicago and Washington DC.....the thugs KNOW they are the only ones with weapons.
Humphrey Bogart

Postby GunClasses.Net on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:47 am

bstrawse wrote:

b

Agreed. Plus, think about the likelihood of any of us being present at 'the event', right as it happens. We are MORE likely to be nearby, or be there after it, than in the thick of it during it. If WE are first responders, how much do we know about CPR or First Aid? NO EMS will ever be allowed into a dangerous situation. This means that those in the Colorado theatre with no, or minor, injuries SAT THERE A WHILE among the seriously injured, waiting for police to come and secure the scene for EMS to get in there. We carry guns partly to save others - to respond to the 30-90 second nightmare we might be trapped in. BUT, as one of potentially hundreds of bystanders, do you know how to help injured people in the critical live-or-die minutes afterward? Can you dress your own wounds? Can you keep yourself from going into shock?

Because one of our main objectives is probably to keep people from dying, AND since we are more likely to be near a shooting or come upon it after the fact, then shouldn't we all should have prioritized First Aid/CPR training ABOVE the firearm? Just think about the likelihood of us needing that training versus having that window of opportunity to be in the right place at the right time to use our firearm! Think about all the car accidents or work accidents or your neighbor falling off a ladder. While I heartily advocate firearms training and firearms carry, I don't know anyone personally who's needed to shoot someone, but we all know people who've been injured, so we can safely say, most likely to save lives, we'd be best prepared to have that training, right? Once we have the training we're most likely to need, we can get training and equip ourselves to meet less likely needs.

I just know I'd rather be able to keep someone alive until EMS gets there, than merely hold their hands and tell them "they're coming, try to hold on"... If I got training to know what to do, that help's already THERE. Get SOME kind of emergency medical training. Check out http://revivemedical.net, for example.

GunClasses.Net

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:58 am

xd ED wrote:http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2003/08/20_zdechlikm_statefairguns/

The article is worth reading, if only for Atty David Gross's comments.

Minnesota State Fair Director Jerry Hammer says it makes no more sense to allow guns at the fair than it does to allow archers to shoot arrows on the midway.

Image "It's just common sense. I don't know that I can really elaborate much more on that," says Hammer. "There's not a large fair in the country, or theme park, that allows weapons. It's common sense."

Hammer says there are simply too many people around the fairgrounds to allow weapons. He says the Minnesota State Fair is a safe place, leaving no need for people to protect themselves.

Ooops! :doh:

Maybe it wasn't a stabbing, merely an injury caused by a blade-on-a-stick

Anybody remember when they DID allow guns at the fairgrounds? It was the early 70's and I happily plunked my dollar or two down for the opportunity to fire off 15-18 rounds of .22 shorts from a Remington Model 552 Speedmaster at the moving steel targets at the REAL shooting gallery that was VERY near the Big Slide! Oh the horror that those evil guns were so near CHILDREN. As I recall, NO ONE EVER got hurt from the shooting gallery, not even the operators. Which thinking back, were dang near in the line of fire standing off to the side on the wrong side of the muzzle. The rifles were chained down to the counter so you could ONLY shoot straight ahead and maybe 30 degrees to either side. Yep, the good old days....they took that gallery out of there by the late 70's I'm not even sure they still have the air powered BB machine guns on the Midway anymore (shoot out the red star for a prize).
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby Dill on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:49 am

just goes to show you that you can never let your guard down, even at the great minnesota eat-together.
Dill

Postby Dante on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Dill wrote:just goes to show you that you can never let your guard down, even at the great minnesota sweat-together.

There, I fixed it for ya! :D
Dante

Postby Dill on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 pm

that too!
Dill

Postby GunClasses.Net on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 am

With all the focus on semiautos and high capacity magazines in the news, here's a completely hypothetical for you...

What would your reaction be if you saw someone in jeans and a shirt browsing booths with an AR15 Pistol -- or, better yet, how about a collapsable-stocked AR15, AK47, or Remington 870 -- at the fair, slung over his shoulder? I realize that MN law says we cannot carry rifles/shotguns in public, and some people would say "oh that's ridiculous!". But, it is NOT a question of practicality; it is a question of principle. Do we have a Constitutional Right to keep and bear any arms, or just pistols? (our founders could have written it "keep and bear pistols", but did not).

Or, think of it in this context. Can I Constitutionally bear (carry) a Ruger Mini-14 through Mall of America? What about into a college classroom as a student? (Again, HYPOTHETICAL ... Not looking for a reason to do that, by any means!)

Thoughts...?

GunClasses.Net

Postby mrp on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:36 am

GunClasses.Net wrote:I realize that MN law says we cannot carry rifles/shotguns in public

Which statute says that? There's this:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=624.7181&year=2011
624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
Whoever carries a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person under the age of 21 who carries a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 7, on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a felony.

But that statute does not apply to permit holders:

(b) "Carry" does not include:
(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;
mrp

Stabbing @ Minnesota State Fair

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:01 am

MN 624.7184 allows a permit holder to carry a rifle or shotgun in public. I'd ask who your instructor was, but.... ;)
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

PreviousNext

Return to In The News