Chris Kyle killed today

Discussion of firearm-related news stories. Please use "Off Topic" for non-firearm news.
Forum rules
Do NOT post the full text of published articles. If you would like to discuss a news story please link to it and, at most, include a brief summary of the article.

Re: Chris Kyle killed today

Postby MNHandK on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:49 am

ASmith wrote:Saying all vets with PTSD are crazy is like saying all gun owners are murders.

Agreed.

I read a few articles on the incident. There were some rather unpatriotic comments that really made my stomach turn. Watch out for the media trying to put a gleeful twist in the passing of a hero in such a tragic circumstance. And I expect there will be attempts at protest during his funeral.
MNHandK

Postby tazdevil on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:56 am

TommyMN wrote:So the guy had PTSD and they brought him to a gun range? I'm confused

That's also not stated in the article. He was helping a guy with PTSD (not sure how the therapy works, range session as part of a de-stressor??), and someone else came up and shot both of them. This other person was not identified as having or not having PTSD. Too much left open in the article.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Dill on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:01 pm

I posted a simple RIP on my Lamebook account today for a few of my like minded friends, and some ******* made a comment about hired killers getting killed by another killer at a killer training place. Makes me sick that people can think like that, it's what's wrong with this country.
Dill

Postby TommyMN on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:36 pm

tazdevil wrote:
TommyMN wrote:So the guy had PTSD and they brought him to a gun range? I'm confused

That's also not stated in the article. He was helping a guy with PTSD (not sure how the therapy works, range session as part of a de-stressor??), and someone else came up and shot both of them. This other person was not identified as having or not having PTSD. Too much left open in the article.

I watched the video. Thought they said it was him. Maybe I misunderstood.

And I never said anyone with PTSD is crazy. My point was, the people I know and have met with PTSD, I wouldn't take to a gun range. I'm no psychologist but that to me throws up some red flags.
TommyMN

Postby xd ED on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:40 pm

There was a pretty complete article in one of the Texas newspapers.
Apparently Kyle was involved in a program assisting returning combat vets with PTSD issues. Part of the program was taking the guys to a gun range.
On this occasion Kyle had two vets with him. One of them turned on Kyle and the other vet. After shooting them, he stole Kyle's tuck and was later captured.

ETA:

Military's deadliest sniper killed on gun range of resort near Glen Rose
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby tman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:00 pm

TommyMN wrote:And I never said anyone with PTSD is crazy. My point was, the people I know and have met with PTSD, I wouldn't take to a gun range. I'm no psychologist but that to me throws up some red flags.

Not everyone with PTSD has been diagnosed. How can you tell if someone you've been shooting with has it?
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:14 pm

RIP Mr. Kyle...

*Edit - link to a great Youtube video interview of Chris Kyle at the SHOT show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LVMUlDpaE#!

I'm not much for celebrity worship but this guy was the genuine article and the sort of person I'd hope my kids would look to as a role model rather than the usual sports stars and Hollywood d-bags.
yuppiejr

Postby TommyMN on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 pm

tman wrote:
TommyMN wrote:And I never said anyone with PTSD is crazy. My point was, the people I know and have met with PTSD, I wouldn't take to a gun range. I'm no psychologist but that to me throws up some red flags.

Not everyone with PTSD has been diagnosed. How can you tell if someone you've been shooting with has it?

You have it backwards. You don't know but if you know, would you take them shooting.
TommyMN

Postby smurfman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 pm

TommyMN wrote:
tman wrote:

You have it backwards. You don't know but if you know, would you take them shooting.

A number of people affected by this I have shot with; it is not an uncommon problem with those who have seen combat or other great calamity. One of my supervisors was diagnosed with PTSD from his time in Vietnam and I hunted/shot with him many times. Another supervisor when I first started was later diagnosed with PTSD from his time in Korea. I shot with him a couple of times before cancer took him. Closer to home, two relatives have had that diagnosis and I have no problems shooting with them. They are much more careful than most one finds at the range or in the field.

Then there are the several police officers, firefighters, and medics I know who have also been diagnosed with this affliction and go shooting or hunting. Many are even working in a full capacity and I wouldn't hesitate being around them with guns in their hands.

Maybe its that there are varying degrees of disability with this condition and not all of them leave a person wild-eyed and psychotic. I would be willing to bet you have been near a number of people with this problem at a shooting range or other public venue where guns are fired. Believing one can spot those suffering from this problem is ridiculous There will be quite a few which slip below your radar.
smurfman

Postby tman on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:16 pm

TommyMN wrote:

Depends.

And that's also part of what I'm trying to say.

It also rolls into the mental health aspect of gun purchasing, doesn't it? I know a former cop who suffers PTSD from a shooting he was involved in. It was his last day on the job, and he's considered as disabled-retired. I'd shoot with him in heartbeat, if he asked. It's not the gun.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby TommyMN on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Maybe I've just been exposed to some severe degrees. I'd never even talk about removing their rights from them. I just wouldn't do firearm related activities with them. Then again there is a lot of people I wouldn't shoot with. Just my opinion, yours may very. After watching a recently returned marine jump out of a second story window maybe I'm edgy and be safe then sorry.
TommyMN

Postby gearguy10 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

Just heard about this news this morning when I got to work. Been sick about it all day. He didn't deserve to go out like that.
"Do you think my mind is maturing late, or simply rotted early?" - Ogden Nash
gearguy10

Previous

Return to In The News